Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone doing this Prescott Punisher race this weekend? Has anyone ridden the course before?

http://www.mbaa.net/RaceInfoResults/2005racedata/prescott.html

I'm thinking about getting my butt out there and finally start racing. I'm even considering racing on my fully rigid SS, dunno. Curious what others think.

·
Sharp rocks hurt...
276 Posts
I am doing the race and I road the course last weekend. I love the course. Its like a motocross course, smooth, fast, banked turns, and lots of whoopdidoos.

It starts out and you climb on the dirt road up to the trailhead, then you go downhill for a while through a few large whoopdidoos. After that you climb and climb and climb. I'm not sure the exact distance of climbing but it feels like a long ways. After that the fun part starts. The trail gets real twisty and most but not all of the turns are banked. Few more whoopdidoos and then you come out at the venue area again. After that you make a left turn and head onto another trail head where you do a smaller version of your last loop, whithought the big climb or fun end part.

·
Registered
527 Posts
The Lone Wolf said:
I am doing the race and I road the course last weekend. I love the course. Its like a motocross course, smooth, fast, banked turns, and lots of whoopdidoos.

It starts out and you climb on the dirt road up to the trailhead, then you go downhill for a while through a few large whoopdidoos. After that you climb and climb and climb. I'm not sure the exact distance of climbing but it feels like a long ways. After that the fun part starts. The trail gets real twisty and most but not all of the turns are banked. Few more whoopdidoos and then you come out at the venue area again. After that you make a left turn and head onto another trail head where you do a smaller version of your last loop, whithought the big climb or fun end part.
I am in the beginner 30-39. This is my second season and I have really enjoyed it. I am going to pre-ride friday and camp that night. It sounds like a fun loop, the info I saw showed it was smaller then normal, like 7 miles? Is that for the elevation?

·
Sharp rocks hurt...
276 Posts
ttocs said:
I am in the beginner 30-39. This is my second season and I have really enjoyed it. I am going to pre-ride friday and camp that night. It sounds like a fun loop, the info I saw showed it was smaller then normal, like 7 miles? Is that for the elevation?
Yeah it might be. It is around 6.5 miles and I think it will be a fast loop. Even us beginners will finish in less than an hour. There is NO rocks on this trail, so my hardtail is going to work great. Well actualy there is a few rocks inside the couple creeks you cross, but nothing bad.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
its funny i live in prescott and didnot know about this till now.just signed up for ss i suppose i should throw a free wheel &rear brake on for giggles.just look for the big wheeled
monkey with funny bars.im going to try to preride the course on my lunch hour.

·
Sharp rocks hurt...
276 Posts
fixgeardan said:
its funny i live in prescott and didnot know about this till now.just signed up for ss i suppose i should throw a free wheel &rear brake on for giggles.just look for the big wheeled
Let us know how you like the course.

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
It's in an OHV area. The course is like riding in an OHV area. The elevation ranges from about 5800 to 6200 feet. It is sandy, fairly good when it's been dry for a while, tons of rolling resistance after a storm when it's wet. OHV tracks obviously. It was probably fairly difficult to get a 7 mile lap out of this area, so with that in mind it probably goes up and down quite a bit, but obviously there are no long climbs.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Jm. said:
It's in an OHV area. The course is like riding in an OHV area. The elevation ranges from about 5800 to 6200 feet. It is sandy, fairly good when it's been dry for a while, tons of rolling resistance after a storm when it's wet. OHV tracks obviously. It was probably fairly difficult to get a 7 mile lap out of this area, so with that in mind it probably goes up and down quite a bit, but obviously there are no long climbs.
James,

What is OHV?

John W.

·
King Pin
1,247 Posts
Race??

News to me too!

Funny how we're the last to know, eh? I live two miles from the course....

I'll see you out there Dan....may race or just wiggle a cowbell....perfect course for fixie!

OHV == off highway vehicle. This was designed as an area for quads and motorsickles to play around. As Jm. stated, no climbing to speak of, other than little short steeps.

fixgeardan said:

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
papajohn said:
James,

What is OHV?

John W.
Off-Highway Vehicle, or "ATV". It's inclusive, so everything smaller than and including an ATV can ride the area, like motorcycles and such, but the tracks are wide because of the ATVs.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
my ss mentor calvin talked me into throwing a freewheel on to see how well i can do .were doing a two man single speed team for the twelve hours of snow summit with freewheels anyway.so i may just leave it that way for the whiskey .

·
I think I need to Upgrade
1,620 Posts
FishMan473 said:
Is anyone doing this Prescott Punisher race this weekend? Has anyone ridden the course before?

http://www.mbaa.net/RaceInfoResults/2005racedata/prescott.html

I'm thinking about getting my butt out there and finally start racing. I'm even considering racing on my fully rigid SS, dunno. Curious what others think.
Do it for me man!!! I can't even get on a bike and it is killing me. Even after I am cleared (with the broken ribs and collar bone) to ride it is still going to be another 4-6 weeks of no mountian bike because my spleen was dammaged in the acident also.

·
Registered
691 Posts
The Lone Wolf said:
After that you climb and climb and climb. I'm not sure the exact distance of climbing but it feels like a long ways.
I wonder if everybody is talking about the same course? From your description there has got to be this killer sustained climb, and then everybody else below says there is very little climbing at all except for short stretches.

What gives?

John W.

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
papajohn said:
I wonder if everybody is talking about the same course? From your description there has got to be this killer sustained climb, and then everybody else below says there is very little climbing at all except for short stretches.

What gives?

John W.
Do you know if this is the same course they've used in the past?

·
Registered
691 Posts
skinny-tire said:
Do you know if this is the same course they've used in the past?
No, the previously used course was out at Granite Basin on the road going toward Chino Valley. I am familiar with that area, but have never been to this OHV area before, and this is a confusing discrepancy of descriptions of the course.

"no climbing to speak of" and "you climb and climb and climb" seemed an odd pair of descriptions if everybody was really talking about the same course.

John W.

·
Sharp rocks hurt...
276 Posts
papajohn said:
No, the previously used course was out at Granite Basin on the road going toward Chino Valley. I am familiar with that area, but have never been to this OHV area before, and this is a confusing discrepancy of descriptions of the course.

"no climbing to speak of" and "you climb and climb and climb" seemed an odd pair of descriptions if everybody was really talking about the same course.

John W.
:rolleyes: If you look at the race entry form it said "lots of climbing". The long climb is not steep or technicle it is just long.

·
King Pin
1,247 Posts
Climbing?

As James stated earlier, there's really not alot of "climbing" involved on this course....a coupla hundred feet or so at most.

The entire race is within the boundaries of the Alto OHV area. Like riding in the park....

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
prescott ride report

just rode the course at lunch.the winds blowing about 30+ and i took my fixed gear cross bike on 700-30 tires gear40x18.cleaned most every thing its a fun ride maybe not your
standerd norba course lots of burms whoops & short climbs.the only stout climb is on the back side i wouldnt say its long but its a grind maybe 1/2 mile maybe less im used to climbs for miles.all in all this is a real fun &fast ride the dg is pretty loose in spots so traction is always an issue at least it was for my cross bike.u gearies will be consantly shifting its a great SS ride IMO overall with wind,skinny tires & hard gearing and i got a little lost it took 46 minutes could easily cut 5-10 off that with big tires & smaller gearing.
overall it should be lots of fun with lots of side by side action its almost like dual slalom.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.