Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here it is guys: Just what can a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert handle as far as drop offs and some downhill? I am considering this bike, I am 6 feet tall and weigh like 205 so I am looking at a size L, what do you guys recommend?? I am new to this but have raced dirt bikes for years. I plan on mainly trail riding, some downhill but not exclusively by any stretch. Can this bike handle 5 feet drop offs or am I asking too much? How much air can it handle? I am moving to Prescott Valley in February. Thanks!

·
Over the Hill
1,769 Posts
I do not know anything about that bike. I am wondering how familiar you are with the trails in Prescott. Granted, I only visit Prescott a couple times a year, but I favor my fully rigid Niner One-9 when I ride there.... exceptions so far have been trail 307 loop, then I ride my 5-spot.

Now Flagstaff and Sedona you may want a 5-6 inch travel bike.

·
Ouch, I am hot!
4,765 Posts
It really depends on how you ride those 5 footers. The Specialized Enduro line sounds more up your alley. I don't think the Stumpjumper and Enduro lines are that far apart. Both are trail bikes. The Enduro leans more on the DH/FR side and the Stumpjumper leans more on the XC side. I think.

The Turner 6-Pack also sounds like a good option.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
34,840 Posts
That bike will work fine in prescott. We don't have any big drop offs here or super technical stuff where you need more than an XC bike.

On the other hand, for going to flagstaff, south mountain, and other places, you can use a "bigger" bike just fine, but such a bike is a lot of bike in prescott, and not really needed here.

If you want to ride in a lot of places around arizona, more than the "FSR expert" may be worthwhile. There's even DH stuff around Mingus Mtn (east of PV). There's lots of places nearby to utilize a bigger bike, and on a few local trails like trail 40, my 6pack just rips.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts