Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I'm the very pleased owner of a new 5 spot (Horst). I was reading up on frame maitnence and noticed that they suggest using Prep M in the Zircs. I just had a really bad experience with the stuff. My White Bro. XC.8 fork was not performing well. I took it apart and noticed it needed some parts. Once the parts came in I installed them and lubed it up with the Prep. Once back together the fork was really stiff!!! I figured it needed something else and sent the whole thing back to WB. Turns out the Prep M had turned to GLUE!!!! and bound everything up :mad: . Keep in mind the rebuild never saw the trail as it was stiff right away.
After this I'm VERY hesitant to use it in the pivots. Has anyone had any similar experiences? What other lubes have folks been using?

BTW, the customer service at White Bro. is unbelivable. All of my emails were answered the same day and requests for parts and service were handled and returned in 24 HRS!!! Folks behind the emails (Tim) and phone calls couldn't have been any more pleasent to deal with. The White went the longest of any fork I've used (Rock Shox, Marz. Fox) before it needed parts. The performance of the XC along with the quality is the best I've come across. I don't understand why I don't see more at the races.

Any way just wanted to give credit where it's due and see if anyone else had the same experience with Prep M.

Thanks,
Mark

·
Never enough time to ride
1,575 Posts
That is certainly an odd one, never heard of that stuff turning to glue before. It may have had a reaction with something in the fork, maybe there was a slight leak in the damper, who knows. Could either be a bad batch or old, what color is it. The current formula is kind of a transparent gold color, the older stuff is more of a green color.

I would definatley have to recommend Slick Honey for fork service though. I haven't, in my experience, found anything better, other than an oil bath fork.

happy trails...

squish

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
squish said:
Could either be a bad batch or old, what color is it. The current formula is kind of a transparent gold color, the older stuff is more of a green color.
I would definatley have to recommend Slick Honey for fork service though. I haven't, in my experience, found anything better, other than an oil bath fork.
It is indeed the transparent gold color. But, it's very thick. I'm definatly not using it again. However, I don't feel like dropping the $ on another tube just to see if the tube I have is defective.

Have you used Slick Honey in the pivots of your Turner?

Thanks,
Mark

·
Never enough time to ride
1,575 Posts
Unfortunatley I don't think Slick Honey comes in a tube that will work with a grease gun, but someone may certainly correct me on this if I'm wrong. I guess you could take your pivots apart to grease them, but that would just be an awful lot of work

But if your M prep is really thick then it's most likely a bad batch. This stuff should be relativley oily, and sticky, but not thick. I would get another tube, or maybe even call Answer and see if they will replace this tube if it's new.

happy trails...

squish

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Mark M13 said:
It is indeed the transparent gold color. But, it's very thick. I'm definatly not using it again. However, I don't feel like dropping the $ on another tube just to see if the tube I have is defective.

Have you used Slick Honey in the pivots of your Turner?

Thanks,
Mark
I think nearly 100% of us use Prep M, including Turner. That should be enough for you to continue using it. I would call Manitou. You never mentioned how long that grease was in there for because all thick lubes will harden given enough time and heat.

I use PrepM in my fork, too. No problems.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jerk_Chicken said:
I You never mentioned how long that grease was in there for because all thick lubes will harden given enough time and heat.

I use PrepM in my fork, too. No problems.
This was a fresh rebuild. It was in there all of a few min.

I'll call Answer and see if they'll send a new tube.

THanks,
Mark

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Here is what DT had to say on the subject: http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?p=937026&postcount=5
thin to win

The thinner the better. Phil Wood, Slick honey anything that does not look like auto axle grease. The seal material we are using today is pretty resistant to almost everything MTB people are using, but if your seals swell up like over cooked pasta give us a call and we will drop some in the mail for your testing efforts. Of course let us all know what grease you used to cause the reaction, then post results.

DT

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
You got some defective Prep M. That stuff stays thin and slippery inside the pivots for a very looooong time. It does not dry out or change consistency. You got some bad stuff. I have had 5 Turners and none of them ever saw anything other than Prep M. It's the tool for the job.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Just as a side note, do not use Prep M in the needle roller bearings of the DHR, it needs something thicker like the rock 'n' roll bearing grease, pedros etc. I trashed a set of bearings using it. M prep is too thin and wheeps out leaving the needles with no grease = bad news.

·
Registered
11,760 Posts
How are you getting it through the zerks?

seasick said:
I've been running Slick Honey in the the Turner HL pivots since '02 at the recommendation of an LBS and Casey (OK, he didn't discourage it). It's been smooth and trouble free.
Im using Prep M but the stuff is stubborn and i dont know ehen theres enough in the bushing.....

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
jrm said:
Im using Prep M but the stuff is stubborn and i dont know ehen theres enough in the bushing.....
It scoots in quite easily if grease is needed. If the pivots are full you will feel substantial resistance to add more. Don't push too hard or the back pressure will force the zerk right out of the mounting hole.

Some pivots like the main BB pivot will take more grease more often, the HL or lower SS pivots will take almost none (you may actually have to disassemble them to grease the shaft). The rocker pivot and upper SS pivots will only take a little every now and then depending on how much you ride. (and how rapidly they weep)

If you've never been able to inject grease, then maybe it's worth pulling the pivot apart and checking it out. Have a look at Tscheezy's signature for a link to the pivot service guide.

·
Mr.Secret
643 Posts
Grease gun

squish said:
Unfortunatley I don't think Slick Honey comes in a tube that will work with a grease gun, but someone may certainly correct me on this if I'm wrong. I guess you could take your pivots apart to grease them, but that would just be an awful lot of work

But if your M prep is really thick then it's most likely a bad batch. This stuff should be relativley oily, and sticky, but not thick. I would get another tube, or maybe even call Answer and see if they will replace this tube if it's new.

happy trails...

squish
Dualco makes a grease gun that you can fill with slick honey or any other low vis. grease. The tips will also interchange with the thread on the tube style grease guns.

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
R.T.R. said:
Dualco makes a grease gun that you can fill with slick honey or any other low vis. grease. The tips will also interchange with the thread on the tube style grease guns.
Good call, I wasn't aware of this.
"Push Type" 3 & 5 oz capacity:

"Squeeze Tube" type, the kind we all know and love:

Dualco claims these babies can generate 3,000psi....guess that explains how too much pressure can launch a zirc.

·
Mr.Secret
643 Posts
Grease guns

R.T.R. said:
Thanks ' zilla............
One more thing, if when changing the tips on your grease guns,be careful not to loose the ball bearing check valve in the 'guns head, if you do, it won't work. Also, using the Dualco gun is a bit more economical because it uses all the grease where as with the tubes it's always a wrestling match getting the last bit out........

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.