• Rip-Off

Votes: 40 71.4%
1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Discuss:

By Purchase; DW sells license to Spez. I'm not sure about this one. DW is pretty greedy..IMO

By Merger: Spez may license the the technology, but for pennies on the dollar. They will have to have a huge market in order to satisfy the needs of the big-wigs.

Most likely IMO, Spez will beat DW in some sort of precidence that will allow them to utilize the technology legally. There people working hard on this one...IMO.

What ye think, HOMERS?

This is just something that occurred to me when I paid the local Spez Concept store a visit. The bikes sure do look alike these days:skep: :crazy:

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
IF Specialized wants to make a DW link bike, they have enough money and lawyers to poke holes in that patent and use a similar design for free. That is my guess.

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
smilinsteve said:
IF Specialized wants to make a DW link bike, they have enough money and lawyers to poke holes in that patent and use a similar design for free. That is my guess.
I think DW is smarter than that. Possibly even MORE cunning.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Mtn. Biker123 said:
I think DW is smarter than that. Possibly even MORE cunning.
he's a little guy in the scheme of things. specialized is a giant compared to him. they've got enough money to sink him no matter how "CUNNING" he is. he has to defend his patents with his own cash. again, why do you care?? according to you dw link is nothing special.

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ThePunisher said:
Specialized would never license.
They would buy the dw rights from Dave.
Yep...and boy, would that piss DT off! They would have done it to him again...:madman:

·
Elitest thrill junkie
37,929 Posts
ThePunisher said:
with the FSR patent expiring soon (or maybe it is already)...this is plausible.
They can or have renewed it. People have been saying the patent is supposed to expire forever, and supposedly it already should have expired a bunch of times.

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
qbert2000 said:
he's a little guy in the scheme of things. specialized is a giant compared to him. they've got enough money to sink him no matter how "CUNNING" he is. he has to defend his patents with his own cash. again, why do you care?? according to you dw link is nothing special.
I've said I didn't like the 5spot. I am against the merger as I suspect it will not be good for the brand in the long run.

See how your stereotyping of me has clouded the way perceive my message. Please listen to what I say and not so much how I say it. I have my own preferences. I'm sure that certain iterations of the DW Link would suit me just fine. However, It's my opinion that he will end up selling out DT.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
Jayem said:
They can or have renewed it. People have been saying the patent is supposed to expire forever, and supposedly it already should have expired a bunch of times.
Patents are only good for 20 years. I don't know how old the FSR patent is.
You don't really renew patents. During their active period, you need to pay a fee every 4 years or so to keep the patent active, but after 20 years, it is over.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Mtn. Biker123 said:
I've said I didn't like the 5spot. I am against the merger as I suspect it will not be good for the brand in the long run.

See how your stereotyping of me has clouded the way perceive my message. Please listen to what I say and not so much how I say it. I have my own preferences. I'm sure that certain iterations of the DW Link would suit me just fine. However, It's my opinion that he will end up selling out DT.
who f'ing cares what you think. god damn, i've got to stop responding to your threads. you're an attention seeking moron and i'm only feeding the problem. i've got to put you on ignore.

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
area de bombes

qbert2000 said:
who f'ing cares what you think. god damn, i've got to stop responding to your threads. you're an attention seeking moron and i'm only feeding the problem. i've got to put you on ignore.
Well, we should all fear a takeover like this. All the manufacturers are playing really nice these days....to nice, IMO.

DW is like the mad scientists who created "the bomb". When spez gets hold of it, in any way shape or form, you can bet that we will become, in an essence, slaves to the brand. I'm sure they will be great bikes but so long to the diversity and options that are available now:madman: It would be important for some manufacturer to have the balls to fight the patent in court and set a presidence before Spez does...IMO. We have a couple of years as far as I can tell....

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Why would Specialzed bother with a design that their biggest competitor(Giant) has already stolen? These companies spend too much money trying separate themselves from one another. There is no way they will rock the same design.

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Who's Giant?

Dusty Bottoms said:
Why would Specialzed bother with a design that their biggest competitor(Giant) has already stolen? These companies spend too much money trying separate themselves from one another. There is no way they will rock the same design.
Great Question..who do you think has the guns to take out a GIANT...and anyone else who infringes on the "holy grail"? Giant would be a memory in a couple of years if Spez got a hold of that patent, legally.

Edit:

They might "allow" a few niche competitors, but certainly any major competitor would be put out of business...don't you think? If the this scenario plays out..., of course!

·
Banned
76 Posts
Mtn. Biker123 said:
Great Question..who do you think has the guns to take out a GIANT...and anyone else who infringes on the "holy grail"? Giant would be a memory in a couple of years if Spez got a hold of that patent, legally.
What?

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mtn. Biker123 said:

Edited:

They might "allow" a few niche competitors, but certainly any major competitor would be put out of business...don't you think? If the this scenario plays out..., of course!

1 - 20 of 156 Posts