Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
CEO Product Failure
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gas prices are on the rise. I would anticipate the number of bicycle commuters to increase as well.

Trying to keep this non-political, the Gov of Ill-noise just doubled the State's gasoline taxes.

https://www.illinoispolicy.org/pritzker-signs-bill-doubling-illinois-gas-tax/

I am hoping this will motivate more people to ride their bikes. In IL, most people's tipping point is when gas gets above $3 per gal. Yeah, I know this is cheap compared to CA and NYC--keep in mind the overall cost of living in the midwest is much less. So $3+ per gal is a real big thing.

·
Rollin 29s
1,004 Posts
When I lived in MN, cost of living was less, gas was less and salary was higher than California as a percentage of cost of living.

Home and property size was considerably larger there. People in my income range had noticeably more disposable income than they do here.

If you are living within your means in Ill, gas in the $3.50/ gal range should not break the bank. We’ve been paying that or more for years on the West coast, along with $2200 for a 1 bedroom apartment.

It’s stupid here, but people adapt, just as they will there. 10% might ride their bikes to work for a few months and then migrate back to driving and sucking up the cost at the pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I find it hard to believe that this is going to make any difference. The price elasticity of demand for gasoline is probably pretty similar to that of cigarettes--people have no choice but to pay it and they will.

·
Bikesexual
7,568 Posts

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
OP, as outrageous as the gas tax increase in Illinois may be, it isn't going to push people to commute by bike.

Costco gas is still under $3 after the hike.

However, the overall approach to fiscal solvency in Illinois is a good reason to flee the state by bike, car, plane, train, donkey, etc.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Mr. Pritzker should put a tax on cheeseburgers...he could use a few less.

I see people from Wisconsin heading to Illinois to buy pot and people from Illinois coming up here to buy gas.

Gas taxes are about as regressive as it gets. The working poor often drive older, less fuel efficient cars than wealthier people.

·
Registered
Two wheels, handle bars
1,797 Posts
Mr. Pritzker should put a tax on cheeseburgers...he could use a few less.

I see people from Wisconsin heading to Illinois to buy pot and people from Illinois coming up here to buy gas.

Gas taxes are about as regressive as it gets. The working poor often drive older, less fuel efficient cars than wealthier people.
I mean, given that he's the governor of Illinois, it's only a matter of time before he gets arrested.

Sent from my LM-X212(G) using Tapatalk

·
CEO Product Failure
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just moved to Missouri.

Sent from my LM-X212(G) using Tapatalk
same here. just moved to St. Charles. trying to sell the home in Ill-noise now.

Regarding the tax, the gas tax is just one of the new and/or higher taxes. To those who believe people will adjust, yes and no. People have no choice but to pay the "$3.50 per gal". However, that additional $2-3 per tank or $15-25 per month is going to come from somewhere. The challenge with taxing gas is the higher rate not only impacts YOUR immediate gasoline budget but also the cost of groceries, home deliveries (everything from UPS to pizza), and on.

According to what I've read, IL will be the 3rd highest taxed state in the Union by year end. IL does not have the property values nor the career opportunities of either CA or NYC.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 🚲
12,305 Posts
Starting to get political..... lets curb that please.

I don't believe the tax hike will do anything to improve bike commuting.

To improve bike commuting a few things are needed and they are not all feasible:
  • People must live withing a certain proximity to work, IMO 10-15 miles for cyclists and 20-25 miles for eBikers.
  • Road and bike path infrastructure is needed, without safe paths that are OFF the main roads, people will not feel safe to ride to and from work
  • Work places must accommodate cyclists with safe and secure storage for bikes and showers or locker rooms for changing clothes before and after work
  • The weather must be temperate for the majority of the year. Only the hardcore cyclist ride in the rain and snow.

I currently live 34 miles from my place of employment and I spend 32 miles of that commute on the freeway. Because I commute by Motorcycle and lane splitting is allowed here in California, I can make it to or from work in about 45 min with heavy traffic and 32-35 min with no traffic (average speed when traffic is light is about 75-80mph here, even thought speed limits are 65 MAX.).

SAN Diego County is currently building a Bike Path that parallels the freeway I use each day for most of my commute, I could switch from my moto to an eBike and use that since it would allow non-stop riding for about 20 miles(https://www.keepsandiegomoving.com/RegionalBikeProjects/coastal_rail_trail.aspx), but my commute time would still jump to at least 1.5 hours IMO. That is a deal breaker for me. On a pedal bike it would be even longer.

I am not an expert on weather in Illinois, but the one time I went there in the winter for a work training it was very cold and very wet the entire time I was there. I don't think most people are willing to ride in that kind of weather.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
To improve bike commuting a few things are needed and they are not all feasible:
  • People must live withing a certain proximity to work, IMO 10-15 miles for cyclists and 20-25 miles for eBikers.
  • Road and bike path infrastructure is needed, without safe paths that are OFF the main roads, people will not feel safe to ride to and from work
  • Work places must accommodate cyclists with safe and secure storage for bikes and showers or locker rooms for changing clothes before and after work
  • The weather must be temperate for the majority of the year. Only the hardcore cyclist ride in the rain and snow.
All but the last one are completely feasible. You need to choose where you live carefully or not be adverse to being cold and wet.

I predict Illinian's will drive crappier cars, skip oil changes, buy cheaper beer, and many, many other things before they resort to bicycle commuting.

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,859 Posts
All but the last one are completely feasible. You need to choose where you live carefully or not be adverse to being cold and wet.

I predict Illinian's will drive buy cheaper beer, and many, many other things before they resort to bicycle commuting.
My first use ever of the word 'forfend', but heaven forfend!

·
Registered
Two wheels, handle bars
1,797 Posts
I predict Illinian's will drive crappier cars, skip oil changes, buy cheaper beer, and many, many other things before they resort to bicycle commuting.
For the most part, this is true. But let me tell you, most folks in Illinois couldn't buy cheaper beer if they tried. Certain counties have OK bike infrastructure, and in those counties some people use it for commuting, but by and large, even where it's feasible bike commuting is not prevalent there. I used to commute 11 miles each way year round, so I know if it's too hot or too cold, people just ain't out. Pretty sad, actually.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,875 Posts
Depends on how fast e-bikes flood the market...

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.