Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Less yappin, more Brappin
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey kids,

So, on my recently acquired 2003 TAZER frame, I would like to know how the different shock/rear dropout mounting holes affect travel and geometry.

There are two different mounts at the dropouts which I assume adjust wheelbase and/or headtube angle???

Also there are two forward and three rearward shock mounts that can adjust travel (3.5 or 4.5") and ??? I would like to have it set up for 3.5" travel.

Does anybody have a copy of an older manual or handout that came with those frames?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm not sure about the 3 holes in the frame. I never did figure them out.

The 3 on the link adjust travel and HA.

The hole mine is in is for 3" travel. The other 2 are for 4" travel. Of those 2 the forward one will give you a steeper HA and the rear one a slacker HA.

I did notice that going from the 3" to 4" hole DECREASES spring rate and vice versa. But that can be compensated easily with an air shock.

You should put some kind of bumper on your derailleur because it will make a racket hitting the drop out. And if you have a short seat post the rear tire will buzz the seat when the rear end is compressed.

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
The bolt hole closest to the rear axle is the 3.5" setting. The other two are the 4.5" travel setting. The lower one drops the BB height and decreases the head angle (the best setting!).

The mounting holes on the front triangle change the leverage ratio. The lower one is more linear I believe.

I have a 2005 which is essentially the same thing and have no trouble running a 2.5 DHF minion!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.