Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What have you found to be good pre mtb food for "real" people?

For example, I'm not going to bother with a skim milk and spirulina smoothie with 1/2 an apple on the side pre mtb.

But I've found that a Whole Foods Belgian Waffle with a mimosa of champagne + Rockstar Ultra Sunrise energy drink is an excellent source of energy and motivation pre mtb.

Looking for combos more similar to Option 2 as opposed to Option 1 above.

·
Hi There!
1,666 Posts
I'm heading to the trail in about an hour, right now having a coffee with just 1% milk and a bowl of Grape Nuts. Don't know if it's a good pre-ride meal or not, but it's what I eat.

·
Cycologist
10,305 Posts
Just eat real food, not processed junk or so called energy drinks.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
My rides are 2hrs...In 30 years of riding I never worrried about a pre-ride meal. 2 of my 3 weekly rides are after work so I just leave work and hit the trail head. For early Sunday morning rides I usually just roll out of bed, load up and go ride with nothing to eat/drink. About half the time I remember to bring a water bottle. AFTER the ride I always eat like a king.

·
9 lives
17,874 Posts
I stay clear of processed foods, refined food and sugar etc. all day and everyday. I eat only plant based foods (no eggs no dairy). I'm not so much concerned about pre workout or pre-ride food. Water is my drink of choice, but I do enjoy a burst of caffeine in the morning along with a banana and sometimes small amount of carb like a waffle or toast. If my ride or workout is mid or later in the day then I'll have something digestible like crackers with hummus. I've learned that being hydrated and staying hydrated is better for my muscles, staying focused and keeping up my energy. It works for me.

·
Always in the wrong gear
3,330 Posts
pre mtb food for "real" people?

Plain homemade cold brew coffee and a Belgian waffle with extra chunky peanut butter smeared on it has been my go-to for years.
I make my own cold-brew by the gallon every weekend, and I make waffles in a double-batch and freeze like 30 of them. They reheat well in the toaster.

I also like a English muffin sandwich with a piece of sausage and 1/2 slice of cheddar.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,133 Posts
Not "energy drinks", you need to get complex carbs as a base, a little bit of protein, and getting closer to your start time, some simple carbs/sugar. This isn't all that complicated and you can still eat "real" foods. Stay away from fatty foods, fried anything, lots of sugar, etc. Start pre-hydrating with electrolyte mix, either make your own or buy one of the mixes available at fitness/outdoors stores, not gatorade or any HFCS drink.

·
high pivot witchcraft
6,178 Posts
On the weekends, I usually blast through a Tim’s drive thru and grab a Sausage Bagel Belt - 9 grain bagel, sausage, egg, cheese, lettuce and tomato. And a large double double dark roast. Cheap, filling, and it saves me a TON of time.

A slightly less scientific approach than Jayem’s. Lol.

·
U sayin' Bolt ?
1,364 Posts
Pretty much every morning 2 handfuls of raw nuts, handful of cocoa nibs, lots of salt and a little bit yogurt. I eat fruit later in the day, but do better without sugar in the morning. I start slow and relaxed, then feel like I am revving up rather than wearing down.

I know the high fat thing has seen its rise and fall recently, but I have been on it for years. For the moderate intensity high volume workouts I like to do, it works for me. Plus I find it easier to sneak in a sporadic workout when my blood sugar isn't bouncing around and I only necessarily need two meals a day.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.