Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Chris Bling
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

i am a wrench and one of the local bike shops here in utah and we have a racer that is looking for some pre 1995 XTR square taper cranks. we are trying to get her "Q" factor down as much as we can, and we are having a beast of a time trying to find cranks that will work for her. if you have any old XTR's laying around, or know anyone who does, please let me know.

dusty

·
recovering racer
172 Posts
Ebay

170mm arms and 8-speed rings though.

Reducing q-factor is a function of BB shell width, BB spindle, and chainstay clearance with the small ring and crank arm. I don't recall the square taper M900 crankset to be that much smaller than the octalink stuff. Definitely less than the external BB cranks though.

·
Don't be a sheep
3,445 Posts
dustyduke22 said:
Hey everyone,

i am a wrench and one of the local bike shops here in utah and we have a racer that is looking for some pre 1995 XTR square taper cranks. we are trying to get her "Q" factor down as much as we can, and we are having a beast of a time trying to find cranks that will work for her. if you have any old XTR's laying around, or know anyone who does, please let me know.

dusty
They are on ebay quite often. Ritchey also made some cranks with a very low q factor and compact rings.

http://cgi.ebay.com/THE-ORIGINAL-17...ryZ56193QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

·
Chris Bling
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
even a little is good!

we are trying to pull her q factor in by about 50 mm! it almost seems impossible, but every mm is worth something. she is a world class racer and is pretty amazing. she is losing quite a bit of energy due to the high q factors of the current day cranks and bbs. we are trying to get back to the basics and get some old cranks and bbs from the era where mountain bikers actually cared about q.

dusty

·
recovering racer
172 Posts
dustyduke22 said:
we are trying to pull her q factor in by about 50 mm! it almost seems impossible, but every mm is worth something. she is a world class racer and is pretty amazing. she is losing quite a bit of energy due to the high q factors of the current day cranks and bbs. we are trying to get back to the basics and get some old cranks and bbs from the era where mountain bikers actually cared about q.
I care a lot about q-factor as I have 31" inseam and mostly train on a road bike. Dura-ace q-factor is 146mm. M970 XTR q-factor is 168, M760 XT is 175. Even going to a 2 ring setup she won't drop more than 20mm at most. Here in CO I need 3 rings, and specifically run M952 XTR cranks (163mm q-factor) with eggbeater short ti spindles to minimize my q factor, but it's still a pretty minor reduction.

She needs chainstay clearance for MTB tires, that dictates BB shell and BB spindle lengths. Can't really get past those dimensions.

Here's a handy q-factor chart for Shimano cranks

·
All 26.5" all the time!
1,855 Posts
Any reason you don't want the 1995 model XTR cranks - M910? They were nearly identical to the 1992-1994 models, except the 910s got Ti crank bolts and Al chainring bolts. They were the lightest of all the first gen (1992-1995) XTR cranks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.