Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Yeah, mountain lions have passed through LPQ for as long as there has been a resident deer herd, which grew bigger when the cows were removed. Situation Normal. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Looks like at least 3 sightings, maybe of the same animal. One on the bridge at Carson's crossing, another security cam video at the side of a house in east Park Village neighborhood near Black Mountain Road, and other sighting near there. Not sure if it's a pregnant female. Here's the video.

·
Well Biked
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow. I just rode there from 4:30-6:00 from park village, but saw no sign of anything going on. Just the insane crowds you'd expect.

Clearly this mountain lion has just worn out it's welcome, and is way too used to being around people..

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 🚲
12,648 Posts
I really hope that little boy is okay. Freaks me out hearing this story. I have not been to PQ in a while but now I dont wanna let my 3 year old ride his balance bike in any of the San Diego preserves.

·
IPA tester
1,363 Posts
From Gina Washington:
Good Morning,

All trails in Los Peñasquitos Canyon Preserve are closed until the California Department of Fish & Wildlife inform us otherwise due to a mountain lion attack that happened yesterday afternoon.

·
Rides all the bikes!
4,489 Posts
Seriously folks, this type of thing should ALWAYS be on your mind when you are in the wilderness. We are on THEIR territory.

ALWAYS behave like you are somewhere in that food chain. Amazing how often I see people do stupid **** when we KNOW there are coyotes, mountain lions, bears, rattlesnakes, etc around us.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Per the 10News article accompanying the video:

Wildlife officers went to the canyon Monday and found mountain lion tracks before the animal approached the officers...

"The wildlife officers immediately dispatched the animal to ensure public safety," CDFW officials said.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 🚲
12,648 Posts
Seriously folks, this type of thing should ALWAYS be on your mind when you are in the wilderness. We are on THEIR territory.

ALWAYS behave like you are somewhere in that food chain. Amazing how often I see people do stupid **** when we KNOW there are coyotes, mountain lions, bears, rattlesnakes, etc around us.
I would hardly call PQ "wilderness"

But it does seem a bit ironic that the authorities tell us building trails and riding bikes on them is bad because it harms animals, and then they go and shoot an animal because it harmed a human in that same area where we are told trails are bad......

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Little kids are predator bait, just like doggies and kitties. That lion showed no fear of humans at all. You gotta kill any animal that behaves that way, including the coyotes around the waterfall that hikers feed their clif bars to.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.