Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought a new mtb and i was wondering if powergrips would fit on my stock wellgo platform pedals. they don't sell them at any of the local stores so i would have to order them online and i don't want to order them if they aren't going to fit my pedlas. thanks ahead of time
 

·
Keep rollin'
Joined
·
193 Posts
bulC, where are you?

Anytime clipless pedals are brought up, this dude is the first to pipe up and bash them to hell. He loves his PowerGrips, and would probably love to tell you if they fit your pedals, and where to get them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,982 Posts
InnocentCriminal said:
Anytime clipless pedals are brought up, this dude is the first to pipe up and bash them to hell. He loves his PowerGrips, and would probably love to tell you if they fit your pedals, and where to get them.
I was thinking the same thing. I'm sure that bulc will post here once he sees the header. He's gonna be thrilled.

I have to admit....He's been so darn persistant about them that I'm even considering trying them. It does sound like a good idea and they've been around for years.....so someone likes them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,635 Posts
my gift to the cycling world

PowerGrips are the most-maligned, best-kept "secret weapon" in offroad cycling; and if I can convince a few folks to try them, and they realize they are better riders for using them, then I've done enough in this lifetime.

Not seeing your (the original poster's) pedals, I can't say. If there are two bolt holes in the front cage where one would install a toe clip, and a hole in the back cage somewhere, inboard, close to the crank, for the PowerGrip to attach to, then yes, they should attach just fine. In a pinch, no law says you can't drill the two front and one rear hole required.

Other tips: Shoes without aggressive deep lugs on the front half of the sole work best. The PowerGrip's tension will hold y ou in place, big lugs just make it less easy to get in and out. I've gone so far as to grind down the forefoot lugs on shoes so they work even better, using a wire wheel in a drill.

I use WTB Toe Flips on my pedals so I can flip and enter them instinctively the first try. They're not made or sold anymore, but you can make something similar from old toe clips by cutting them off so you just have a little tap sticking out from the portion that accepts the two attaching bolts. Gives your foot something to catch to help flip over the pedal.

Don't run the Powergrips too loose. If you can lift your foot off the pedal at all when in them, they are too loose. Don't worry about getting trapped like with toe straps, won't happen. Because the powergrips are mounted at an angle, just turning your foot slightly makes them looser.

Once you get yours and start lovin' them, it's your duty to pass on your glee to others, start ranting about how great they are at every opportunity, and when someone with clipless pedals falls over, be sure to point out to them that that wouldn't have happened with the pedals you're using.

And wait til winter, when you readjust them for your winter boots, and all your friends' toes are blue and falling off...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,994 Posts
Go clippless and you'll never look back

trailblazer said:
i just bought a new mtb and i was wondering if powergrips would fit on my stock wellgo platform pedals. they don't sell them at any of the local stores so i would have to order them online and i don't want to order them if they aren't going to fit my pedlas. thanks ahead of time
no skined up shins, no rolling or slipping off the pedals in the air or rock gardens, lots of pulling power for the ups and when you crash you magically pop out.
 

·
bonkin' clyde
Joined
·
831 Posts
hey man

Bike Nazi said:
no skined up shins, no rolling or slipping off the pedals in the air or rock gardens, lots of pulling power for the ups and when you crash you magically pop out.
Whats your cleat-pedal combo?? which manufacturers I mean...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
bulC said:
PowerGrips are the most-maligned, best-kept "secret weapon" in offroad cycling; and if I can convince a few folks to try them, and they realize they are better riders for using them, then I've done enough in this lifetime.

Not seeing your (the original poster's) pedals, I can't say. If there are two bolt holes in the front cage where one would install a toe clip, and a hole in the back cage somewhere, inboard, close to the crank, for the PowerGrip to attach to, then yes, they should attach just fine. In a pinch, no law says you can't drill the two front and one rear hole required.

Other tips: Shoes without aggressive deep lugs on the front half of the sole work best. The PowerGrip's tension will hold y ou in place, big lugs just make it less easy to get in and out. I've gone so far as to grind down the forefoot lugs on shoes so they work even better, using a wire wheel in a drill.

I use WTB Toe Flips on my pedals so I can flip and enter them instinctively the first try. They're not made or sold anymore, but you can make something similar from old toe clips by cutting them off so you just have a little tap sticking out from the portion that accepts the two attaching bolts. Gives your foot something to catch to help flip over the pedal.

Don't run the Powergrips too loose. If you can lift your foot off the pedal at all when in them, they are too loose. Don't worry about getting trapped like with toe straps, won't happen. Because the powergrips are mounted at an angle, just turning your foot slightly makes them looser.

Once you get yours and start lovin' them, it's your duty to pass on your glee to others, start ranting about how great they are at every opportunity, and when someone with clipless pedals falls over, be sure to point out to them that that wouldn't have happened with the pedals you're using.

And wait til winter, when you readjust them for your winter boots, and all your friends' toes are blue and falling off...
What happens when you're going fast around a corner, have to take a foot out, and then the power grip catches on a rock or something? You go flying right?
 

·
occupation : Foole
Joined
·
2,548 Posts
bulC said:
And wait til winter, when you readjust them for your winter boots, and all your friends' toes are blue and falling off...
Hey bulC...how adjustable are they ??? ...have been toying with the idea of picking up a set - am STILL using toe clips/straps, here....and loving them (yeahyeahyeah, all you clipless fans can save yer breath...have heard it all before...I happen to like being able to ride in whatever shoes/whenever I want - don't dig the idea of dedicated shoes/pedals). If they're as adjustable as straps on clips, I may be a convert :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,661 Posts
bulC said:
my gift to the cycling world
Your gift to the cycling world? Did you invent Power Grips? That's kind of cool if you did.

I used Power Grips before clipless and was a firm believer until I found a predictable clipless pedal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,635 Posts
two replies in one post

re: then catching on rocks. I dunno, it's never happened to me. They're flexible so if you have to you can pedal on the pedal bottoms and not have scraping as with upside down toe clips. Worst that's happened to me with them is a few times when pushing the bike uphill thru oak bruah the straps have caught on the oak brush.

re: how adjustable? they'll fit any shoe you can come up with that you're willing to ride a bike in. There's also an extra long version that is the hot setup among Iditabikers, as they are long enough to fit Sorels and Mickey Mouse boots. Many Iditabikers use PowerGrips because they are unaffected by alaskan winter weather.
ekosports, formerly bicycle parts pacific, outa Grand Junction CO is the current distributor, and they have been known to sell direct to consumers. they should have the xtra long ones.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,635 Posts
I wish

Nat said:
Your gift to the cycling world? Did you invent Power Grips? That's kind of cool if you did.

I used Power Grips before clipless and was a firm believer until I found a predictable clipless pedal.
Didn't invent them, but saw their benefit and jumped in with both feet early. I know I'm this site's #1 proponent, maybe the world's. I was quoted in an ad for them once.
Interestingly, I have on my bookshelf as possible future ebay fodder an original set of Powergrips, still in plastic, never opened., you wouldn't recognize them. they have no strap, just bent metal wire bits that bolt to the shoes to hold them in place. very strange.
I know guys in moab s&r who will ride nothing else, because they've picked up the pieces enough times when people fell down some serious cliffage still clipped in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,635 Posts
yup

Bike Nazi said:
no skined up shins, no rolling or slipping off the pedals in the air or rock gardens, lots of pulling power for the ups and when you crash you magically pop out.
Yup that sure sounds like PowerGrips, though I can't speak to what happens up in the air, as I'm a firm believer that the knobs on my tires work best when interfacing with the earth.
 

·
"Mr. Britannica"
Joined
·
1,818 Posts
trailblazer said:
i just bought a new mtb and i was wondering if powergrips would fit on my stock wellgo platform pedals. they don't sell them at any of the local stores so i would have to order them online and i don't want to order them if they aren't going to fit my pedlas. thanks ahead of time
they come with pedals... at least that's how I've seen 'em in some online catalogs

I used 'em back in the day, but not since clipless pedals came along. they work fine, and it's pretty much the same motion to "release"
 

·
Barneys Unite!
Joined
·
748 Posts
If your pedals are "toe clip" compatible,

then Power Grips should work with them (the pedals just need mounting holes for the Power Grips hardware).

For the record, I think they are a good alternative to toe clips or clipless pedals - Power Grips do NOT have the learning curve that most people face with clipless. They really are instinctive.

I used Powergrips for about six months and liked them, but I was having trouble with my right foot going numb (I've had problems with my right foot for years), and I finally broke the hardware in a crash. I decided to take (literally) everyone's advice and switch to clipless (Shimano 540's). While I am slowly getting used to the Shimanos, which are adjusted very loosley and matched with omnidirectional cleats, I still sometimes get that irrational terror that I'm not going to be able to get out of the damned things. I know it ain't true, but it still happens. :confused:

Each to his own -- I think some folks adapt more easily to clipless pedals. If you are leary of clipless, Power Grips are definitely worth a try.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Each to his own -- I think some folks adapt more easily to clipless pedals. If you are leary of clipless said:
its not that im afraid to get clipless, its just that im a growing kid (15 yrs) and my foot has grown 5 sizes in three years and i don't want to have to buy new shoes every year because as i mentioned, im 15 and i don't have a lot of money. i think i will ordedr a pair and see what i can do with my pedals and the powergrips ( drilling holes wise). but thank you for all of your help everyone. bulC, when i get them i will tell you if i like them. ;)

thanks again
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,255 Posts
powergrips are the only pedal i have used in the last 7 years. i love them for so many reasons. ultra easy to get out and in. good for uphill(vs platform), and good snug stability for technical riding. (plus you can wear real comfy skateboard shoes). they are the perfect pedal for me, i will never ride anything else.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,255 Posts
i buy direct from the company (since i wear through the straps faster than the metal extensions). the straps are only 12 bucks, i get about 7-9 months out of a pair. the only other time i have seen a dude riding them was in moab.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
PowerGrips rock.

trailblazer said:
i just bought a new mtb and i was wondering if powergrips would fit on my stock wellgo platform pedals. they don't sell them at any of the local stores so i would have to order them online and i don't want to order them if they aren't going to fit my pedlas. thanks ahead of time
I've used them on every MTB I've owned, going back to the early 1990's. I've yet to find a conventional MTB pedal they don't work great with. You best bet would be older Shimano Deore XTs or Suntour XC-Pros. The Suntour are the finest conventional MTB pedal ever made, but watch out, they aren't cheap. $100+ on e-bay. The WTB grease Guard pedal is still made, any shop can order them through Merry Sales. Every bike shop shold have some decent conventional MTB pedals. Stay away from VP-331s, they're crap. The Wellgo / Nashbar / Performance pedals aren't bad, but they're not rebuildable.

PowerGrip advantages:

1. No special shoes. My bikes with PowerGrips or toe clips got ridden way more than my clipless bikes did, when I still rode clipless.

2. Easy entry and exit. PowerGrips are quite intuitive.

3. If you are in a position where clipping in is difficult, you can ride on the back of the pedal until you can flip into the PowerGrips. You can even ride on top of them. They're flexible, and well-nigh unbreakable. I've never snagged them on the ground when riding "backside", but I suppose it's possible.

4. The retension varies quite naturally with your pedalling effort. This is my favorite thing about them, although it's subtle. When i'm just cruising along, they keep my feet attached but not too tight. When I hammer, my natural foot motion pulls them tighter, allowing for better stroke mechanics and power transfer. I don't have to think about this, it just happens.

5. They're available in extra-long, to clear big winter boots. Not an issue for me, in SoCal, but they're quite popular amongst the icebiking whack-os up Minnesota way. I know of nothing else that will provide foot retention when riding in Sorrels.

6. They're only 20 bucks, so if you hate them, you won't have sacrificed much.

Disadvatages:

1. They're a bit finicky to set up. Take a wrench with you for your first few rides, and be ready to fiddle with them to get the retention and feel just right.

2. If you often ride in shoes of very different thickness, you'll have to adjust them. Going from Hi-Tecs to touring (flat-soled cycling) shoes or tennis shoes requires adjustment, at least for me. If this is something you do a lot, stick with toe-clips. Nothing else accomodates such a wide variety of shoes. I'm not Imelda Marcos, so it's not an issue.

3. People will think you're a newbie, even if you've been riding for 15 years. You're gonna get the "When are you going to get some cliples pedals" question from folks. Happens to me all the time. I've been around long enough, and am enough of a crumudgeon, not to care... I know what works for me.

Give them a try... Most people who do like them well enough to have at least one bike with them.

--Shannon
 
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Top