Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm all setup with my avids, 6" front and rear, and my pads are broken in. My problem is, i have absolutely no power with my rear brake, the cable actuated arm is moving, and the pad is hitting the rotor, but it doesnt stop the wheel. How do i get it to work?
And yes, i did read the directions.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Are your housings long enough? Do they gap off the stops when you let the brake off, or settle in when you squeeze the lever?

Did you set the pad distances right?

Are you near a shop that handles MTB's and are willing to be embarassed if it's one of the two things above? ;)

The Avid Mechs are really easy to set/dial, but there's no magic there: they should work great if you install them right. Go back over your install...especially the housings.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Wouldn't you touched the rotors or pads with your bare fingers, would you??

Any grease, oil or something alike???

Clean both pads and rotors with alcohol and try again. For a short period the brake will feel power-less but after a ride or two you will have raw power again.

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
ajw8899 said:
I'm all setup with my avids, 6" front and rear, and my pads are broken in. My problem is, i have absolutely no power with my rear brake, the cable actuated arm is moving, and the pad is hitting the rotor, but it doesnt stop the wheel. How do i get it to work?
And yes, i did read the directions.
First, your pads may not be bedded in yet. It can take a few rides before it happens completely and you do need to adjust the knobs during break in (and as the pads wear). I have usually set the pads to drag a bit during bed-in.

Second: The cable housings need to be as straight as possible from lever to brake for minimum friction. Be sure the housing ends are cut square and have no burrs to bind the cable. I found that using the stock cable stops/guides on my (old) frame worked poorly. Went to full length housing (with Teflon coated cables, no lube) and by-passed the stops for better, smoother routing. Works great.

Third: If you really do have 6" rotors (152 mm) the pads would not be making full contact. The rotors should be 160 mm.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts