Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
All the time on...

longer rides. I eat frequently on rides over 4 hours and do it while riding. I run adventure races that last anywhere from 12 to 48 hours and we try to eat on an hourly basis. The biggest trick is planning ahead and having your bars or whatever easily reachable while riding. It's tough to get in your pack on a downhill :p . I wear a pack that has small pockets in the hipbelt that will hold a couple of bars. I've seen people tape gels and/or bars to their top tube so they can just pull them off while riding. You also need to think about where you'll put the wrapper when you're finished. I once carried a Powerbar wrapper for 2 hours because I couldn't get to a pocket while riding and my team wasn't stopping.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
hotdog and fries

I would never eat powerbar. That stuff is as hard as concrete. Cliffbar is softer. However, I would prefer to eat real food that is not package in a plastic wrap. I always look out for hotdog vendor. I eat a large hotdog and fries to get all the calories I need. I wouldn't be able to fill up the same amount of calories on powerbar. I would have to eat 20bars to match 1hotdog and large fries.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I like Cliff bars, probably eat 2 or 3 on on my typical 3 hour ride.. I usually stop and eat while taking a break, but not always. I have eatin while cruisin thru some easy singletrack.
As for where to put the bars or the wrappers...I usually wear jerseys, and all of the ones I own have 3 pockets on the small of the back. The pocket in the middle is useless, as there is a Camelback covering it, but the 2 on the sides serve well as food dispensers / trash containers.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Picard said:
I would never eat powerbar. That stuff is as hard as concrete. Cliffbar is softer. However, I would prefer to eat real food that is not package in a plastic wrap. I always look out for hotdog vendor. I eat a large hotdog and fries to get all the calories I need. I wouldn't be able to fill up the same amount of calories on powerbar. I would have to eat 20bars to match 1hotdog and large fries.
Most of the trails I ride on no longer have hot dog venders....their carts got stuck in the mud....caught between trees...and bunny-hopping a hotdog cart isn't much fun after the first few times. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
eat sandwiches

If I ride on long single track, I pack along 2 sandwiches in plastic box so they won't be crush by other gears. I can eat real food when I take a break. I ride for recreational purpose instead of racing down the trail like a mad man :D

·
Play all day
126 Posts
I stuff some french fries in my pockets to much on the trail :p Actually, I just eat granola bars for shorter rides. I take a big bite every half hour or so. I don't like packing sandwiches..they tend to get smushed. I'll have to try the plastic box next time :).

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I don't race or anything like that, just riding for fun with friends. From last season (got a new heavy bike) I realized that I'm wicked hungry and exhausted after 3rd hour. So is there any cons of eatings those bars during the ride? I tried bananas, but they don't fill me up and almost get mushy. What should I look for in those bars?

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Lucky13 said:
Well I don't race or anything like that, just riding for fun with friends. From last season (got a new heavy bike) I realized that I'm wicked hungry and exhausted after 3rd hour. So is there any cons of eatings those bars during the ride? I tried bananas, but they don't fill me up and almost get mushy. What should I look for in those bars?
It's not an issue for most. I usually eat PB and honey, cliff bars and power bars. I eat about one every hour or 2 on long rides. I tend to eat during long climbs...it helps to pass the time.

·
Play all day
126 Posts
My wife brought home some Nutella chocolate spread, now I'm hooked on peanut butter and nutella sandwiches. It's like having dessert for lunch!! :) I had one for breakfast today and spread it on real thick. It looked like three slices of bread when I got to the middle. Grossed out my wife, but it was damn good eating. :D

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
If you really want to bring along bars, you check for the ones with the most calories and soft texture(soft). Alot of these bars have less calories than your bag of cookies. You don't want to chew on concrete thus loosing your whole row of teeth before crashing. I guess you can claimed that you crashed into a tree. It will impress your friends for whole month and impress the ladies too with your clean gum line.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Hot dogs! HAHAHAA! I always had the BEST hot dogs during a ride.

It depended on where I was riding (past tense, years ago, skip it).

My riding would consist of two types...

1) riding paved local trail to Lakeshore. I'd grab a Powerbar at the local variety store, along with an ice tea (they fit perfect in the cage). I'd eat the bar befoer I hit the actual trail and have the IT along the way when I needed it. Take a break when I got to the "end", grab a hot dog, stare at girls for a bit, then ride home. Total time, out and back, was about 2 hours.

2) riding at a "resort" (don't know what else to call it) i'd ride for 3-5 hours. A couple of sandwiches in the trunk of the car, in a cooler, along with water and ice tea (I was an ice tea junkie back then, can you tell?). Ride the trails, come back and eat when I was hungry, then go out again.

Guess i'm going to have to go to the "end" tomorrow - i'm craving hot dogs something fierce all of a sudden!!!!!!! Damn you, Picard! :p :D (j/k, eh!)

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
AndrewTO said:
Hot dogs! HAHAHAA! I always had the BEST hot dogs during a ride.

It depended on where I was riding (past tense, years ago, skip it).

My riding would consist of two types...

1) riding paved local trail to Lakeshore. I'd grab a Powerbar at the local variety store, along with an ice tea (they fit perfect in the cage). I'd eat the bar befoer I hit the actual trail and have the IT along the way when I needed it. Take a break when I got to the "end", grab a hot dog, stare at girls for a bit, then ride home. Total time, out and back, was about 2 hours.

2) riding at a "resort" (don't know what else to call it) i'd ride for 3-5 hours. A couple of sandwiches in the trunk of the car, in a cooler, along with water and ice tea (I was an ice tea junkie back then, can you tell?). Ride the trails, come back and eat when I was hungry, then go out again.

Guess i'm going to have to go to the "end" tomorrow - i'm craving hot dogs something fierce all of a sudden!!!!!!! Damn you, Picard! :p :D (j/k, eh!)
I ride lakeshore for exercise too. I stop after 1hr for break and stare, oggle at the girls. Then I ride the rest of trail home. DVP trail is boring for me. I look for challenging trail. I will ride Durham forest when weather gets better.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Hey cooooool! A local guy! I was on the other side of Yonge Street. Humber Trail was/will be my exercise route.

Doesn't matter, though - good hot dog vendors to be found. :D

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
AndrewTO said:
Hey cooooool! A local guy! I was on the other side of Yonge Street. Humber Trail was/will be my exercise route.

Doesn't matter, though - good hot dog vendors to be found. :D
if you get to waterfront, there is a small shop besides the ship that serve lobster dinner, this shop sell the hottest pita bread with BBQ pork or chicken> It tastes great. The shop is located between the ship and the large hotel. The store name is greek. I can't remember it tonight. too tired from ride. bonk out !

I had 2 pita & pork. I also had take out lunch from the Boat & House grill restaurant at harbourfront too. I need all those calories for the ride home to east york. queen st traffic is jammed pack like sardines due to construction.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.