Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm considering a powdercoat job on my aluminum hardtail frame. however, there is a slight, but noticeable dent on the top tube.

Is there any filler that would survive the baking so I can make a smooth surface?

what about the powdercoat itself? how much could it fill in?

I'm actually willing to just powdercoat over it and just get it done.

mahalo.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Does brass stick to Aluminum? If the dent is a crease you may have a bigger problem. If not, take it to a frame builder and have him fill it with aluminum welding rod, then grind /sand smooth - problem solved.

·
Registered
26 Posts
A powder coating shop told me that there's a dent filler called, Alvin Products, that will work for powder coating's high temperature. However, he said that he's never seen good results on a filled bicycle tube because of its small radius.

·
Thumbs Up!
759 Posts
surfmungky said:
I'm considering a powdercoat job on my aluminum hardtail frame. however, there is a slight, but noticeable dent on the top tube.

Is there any filler that would survive the baking so I can make a smooth surface?

what about the powdercoat itself? how much could it fill in?

I'm actually willing to just powdercoat over it and just get it done.

mahalo.
Both produsts mentioned are the same thing,. Alvin Products Lab Metal. You will need the high temp version and make sure you use the special catalyst the sell. It can be bought online or at Fastenal stores.

Make sure you do your stripping/blasting first, then powder.

I have never used it on a Alu frame (only steel) but I have had good results on the steel. The tubes on your Alu frame are probably larger diameter that the steel that I have used it on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.