Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to buy either a SC Blur or Superlight (frame only). I love the Blur, but pricewise I'm leaning more towards the Superlight. Also which is more durable and looks the best... in orange(of course). Let me know what rear shock is best on those too. Thanks..

·
Registered
294 Posts
Biker_Bum said:
Going to buy either a SC Blur or Superlight (frame only). I love the Blur, but pricewise I'm leaning more towards the Superlight. Also which is more durable and looks the best... in orange(of course). Let me know what rear shock is best on those too. Thanks..
I have heard awesome things about both the Blur and the Superlight. If you have ridden both, and don't really have a price limit, go with the Blur (saying you like the ride more). But if you're on a budget (like most of us), you might want to go with the Superlight. I guess you have to decide if the ride of the Blur is worth the extra $$$. As far as powdercoating or anodizing...I would have to go with powdercoating. It looks better, IMO, and is quite a bit more durable, so I've heard.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Biker_Bum said:
I have a powdercoat Superlight and LOVE it! I have spent a little time on a Blur, and though it was cool, it wasn't enought to make me think about giving up the Superlight. My bike is 4 yrs old and I have never had any mechanical problems at all. The single pivot is simple, but is proven and very dependable. I haven't even had to replace the bearings yet. I have been told that the Blur has issues with bearings, so that may be something to look into.

·
rack admirer
666 Posts
Blur v SL in MBA

there was a shoot out article in Mountain bike action within the last year. try the website first. MBA shows lots of bias, but where it is comparing the same manufacturer, you may get some credible input.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Biker_Bum said:
I've owned a grey annodized Superlight for 4 years. It's been absolutely bulletproof in every regard, requiring zero pivot maintenance. Even my original shock eye bushings are still tight, though that has been a somewhat frequent replacement part for some.

I have tried a Blur for one very limited ride. It handled great,and was plush but not as snappy as my SL. However, set-up was cursory at best, so it could probably have been tweaked more to my liking with a little effort. Lots of moving parts there though.

I would highly recommend the ano finish over powdercoat. After four years the ano finish on my SL looks as good as new. It will cable rub, but is very resistent to scratching as the ano process imbeds the color about .002 inch into the aluminum. I've owned powdercoat and found it to chip. Also the finish dulled over time, almost as if it had been finely sanded in spots. When I ordered my new racer-x 100 (still waiting on shipping) I again chose ano, even though it was more expensive and increased the wait considerably.

·
Registered
11,754 Posts
the powdercoat

Biker_Bum said:
paint (black) on my blur was real thin. i had cable rub through the paint after a week of riding. Not to mentiuon that it faded real bad. It looked bad within a month. My votes for the orange ano...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.