Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was riding in a area that hadn't seem much rain and encountered some conditions I hadn't really seen. They trail was very hard packed and fast and flowing, but it was covered in a thick layer of what looks just like baking flour. Very soft dust sometimes it looked (and felt like it was an inch thick). I was running XR4 Team Issue (which are amazing in loose over hard) and the tires did ok, but I am thinking something with small square but tall knobs would do better as I felt like I was having to hold back. Is this right? Something like a Hans Dampf next time?

·
The Fastest of Bananas
1,792 Posts
So I was riding in a area that hadn't seem much rain and encountered some conditions I hadn't really seen. They trail was very hard packed and fast and flowing, but it was covered in a thick layer of what looks just like baking flour. Very soft dust sometimes it looked (and felt like it was an inch thick). I was running XR4 Team Issue (which are amazing in loose over hard) and the tires did ok, but I am thinking something with small square but tall knobs would do better as I felt like I was having to hold back. Is this right? Something like a Hans Dampf next time?
WTB Judge and Verdict

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
I've had really good traction with the Trail Kings in silty conditions like you describe because the outer lugs cup inward to hold a line better and prevent washout.

Have FUN!

G

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all, I don't think I'm going to buy a tire specifically for that, but I keep several around and swap out for conditions and just wanted to match up best I could by tread type. I had actually started to ask about Trail Kings as that is one I keep as my go to for trails that have a lot of slick roots and rocks. I also keep an Ardent, Ground Control, and Butcher in addition to the XR4 I was running. The Butcher looks close to the Verdict, I'll try it next time.

·
Hitching a ride
3,193 Posts
I don't like the Trail King in these conditions. The side knobs are foldy. Even Conti doesn't put dry as the best condition for this tire. Dry tires need stiff side knobs. That means harder rubber and good support. Butcher knobs are also a bit foldy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.