Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new RS Revelation that I want to powder coat along with an On-One Inbred frame for my GF. I was wondering if there is anything I need to do besides removing the lowers, and draining the oil. Will the bushings be ok during the baking?

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm pretty sure it has been done, but I'll check before I take em apart.

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
I know of at least one person who had it done. They were Zoke's. The outcome was not pretty.

·
Appalachian Singletrack'n
1,443 Posts
I'm no magnesium expert but, I know when Spectum Powdercoating does a frame and fork they powdercoat the frame but wet paint the fork.

·
Outcast
8,589 Posts
I had mine wet-painted; either wet or powdercoat, you have to remove the fork seals. Whoever PC's your fork needs to mask it so that no pc gets on the bushings,

·
Outcast
8,589 Posts
Endomaniac said:
I'm no magnesium expert but, I know when Spectum Powdercoating does a frame and fork they powdercoat the frame but wet paint the fork.
I didn't know that; if anyone does, it's Spectrum.
Personally, I think a matching frame and fork lokks stunning:

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
I don't know Rene - that matching fork and frame kit just looks a little too well thought out. It's kind of scary. For some reason I keep thinking about a teal blue tuxedo on prom night 1977.....

·
Outcast
8,589 Posts
cutthroat said:
I don't know Rene - that matching fork and frame kit just looks a little too well thought out. It's kind of scary. For some reason I keep thinking about a teal blue tuxedo on prom night 1977.....
Oh man, you are so close it's scary. It was a baby blue pasley patterned tuxedo, prom night, 1975. STOP STALKING ME!!!! :D

I wasn't looking to get the fork painted initially; it was the painter who suggested it. He showed me a couple of his bikes that he had done the combo on, and I said okay. It was january, I wasn't riding anyway, so wtf.

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
Renegade said:
I wasn't riding anyway, so wtf.
I thought that was pretty much a given anytime of year.:p

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I had it done

I sent it to a local shop with totally clean lowers, it was an old Psylo so I had the bushings out for replacement on a bianual refit anyway. The job came out looking great but after the first digger you could see the old color under the new one so the lazy bums didn't strip it completely.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Yes, magnesium can be powdercoated. But it takes a special process, due to out gassing when the magnesium is heated.

Most PC shops are NOT set up to do it. Any shop can "technically" PC magnesium, but if it isn't done correctly, the PC will blow off in LARGE chunks.

Best bet is to call around and ask them directly if they are specifically equipped to PC magnesium.

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My local pc'r says no problem. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
316 Posts
Just ask your powdercoater if he can powdercoat magnesium. Make sure that you get it in writing as well if he says yes.

Most pc'ers can do magnesium, they have a slightly diff. procedure but it can be done.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
I can't believe no one has suggested FoShizzle and his OCD which leads him to color match bikes that would even make the founders of Garanimals proud.

·
Outcast
8,589 Posts
CrashTheDOG said:
I can't believe no one has suggested FoShizzle and his OCD which leads him to color match bikes that would even make the founders of Garanimals proud.
I'm pretty sure Foshiznutz is color blind; that would explain a lot.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts