Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Category Winner
6,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a fork powder coated.
Anything wrong with banging an old headset race on the fork to ensure that no powder coat goes in bad places??
Will I have a hard time getting it off without damaging the powder coat?

Sooner or later I'll be getting a frame done too. Should I run some old bolts in the bottle mounts and in the EBB set screw holes?

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Been there done that :D here's what I learned from it...............Powder coaters have a special tape they use that they could apply around the steerer where the race would go - or you ask them for it and apply it. As for the bottle cages and EBB -YES, put in a couple of old bolts you'll have some nice tough PCs bolts when done that match the frame. They should have plugs that fit the BB, HT and ST if not an old square taper BB installed isn't a bad plan.

I'd also consider giving them a couple old cages as well to do at the same time and get the matching look :thumbsup: it also makes the cages much more durable.

·
Category Winner
6,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LyNx said:
Been there done that :D here's what I learned from it...............Powder coaters have a special tape they use that they could apply around the steerer where the race would go - or you ask them for it and apply it.
He's been known to... unnhhhh... kinda not tape things sometimes.
I was looking for foolproof methods to thwart his attempts to powder my bad places.

Since the frame will be EBB my main concern is the EBB set screw threads.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Well then yeah, throw on an old race, the thick/bigger the better. When you get it back just knock it off, the most you'll do is scratch the PC - PC done right is damn near indistructable. Also be worried about the top of the steerer if this guys is careless, as there's normally not much clearance in size between steerers and stem clamps.

teamdicky said:
He's been known to... unnhhhh... kinda not tape things sometimes.
I was looking for foolproof methods to thwart his attempts to powder my bad places.

Since the frame will be EBB my main concern is the EBB set screw threads.

·
You down with entropy?
340 Posts
LyNx said:
Well then yeah, throw on an old race, the thick/bigger the better. When you get it back just knock it off, the most you'll do is scratch the PC - PC done right is damn near indistructable. Also be worried about the top of the steerer if this guys is careless, as there's normally not much clearance in size between steerers and stem clamps.
+1 to the top of the steerer tube.

I am in the process of sanding down PC from that part of a fork. the PC is too thick for my stem to fit on at the moment. Granted it is threadless stem with the internal cam instead of pinch bolts so there is not all that much clearance.

the worst part was they PC'd the canti studs...:madman: so that is the other place I am working on.....

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Yeah, I know where you're coming from. There are two local powdercoaters. One I'm sure would do it right and they have a big professional shop and you'll pay for it. The other does a decent job and is $25/frameset. I prefer the latter...

·
Category Winner
6,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
themanmonkey said:
If you're worried about the masking just buy the tape yourself, it's cheap. I found this on Google.
Pretty sure the old paint is getting blasted off first. I imagine that would negate the benefits of pre-tapage.

Thanks though.
Found an old race on a POS fork in the garage. Gonna put it to good use.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Schmucker said:
Yeah, I know where you're coming from. There are two local powdercoaters. One I'm sure would do it right and they have a big professional shop and you'll pay for it. The other does a decent job and is $25/frameset. I prefer the latter...
I wonder about comments like these. The only thing we have is time. Can't make more of it, can't buy it etc. Team Dicky is spending his time and I hate to say it.....wasting our time with this internet question and this boob who can't mask off a fork crown or a brake stud to save a couple of bucks which is certainly offset by all the time he is using putting on a crown race and dealing with the powder coaters previous F-ups.

Personally I value my time a little more and would gladly go with a person who was more expensive if this was something I did not have to fret about. Schmucker. It is the details that cost money. I mean if this was food the statement would be. "Yeah, that resturants food is borderline gruel but hey! its only like 3 bucks for a plate!"

BTW, $25 dollars. That is giving it away. Guy might be better off handing you a fin and calling it a day:eek:ut:

There always seems to be a vocal minority who relish in getting the "deal" when often it turns out to be false economy. Rant over....:D

·
Category Winner
6,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
dbohemian said:
I wonder about comments like these. The only thing we have is time. Can't make more of it, can't buy it etc. Team Dicky is spending his time and I hate to say it.....wasting our time with this internet question and this boob who can't mask off a fork crown or a brake stud to save a couple of bucks which is certainly offset by all the time he is using putting on a crown race and dealing with the powder coaters previous F-ups.

Personally I value my time a little more and would gladly go with a person who was more expensive if this was something I did not have to fret about. Schmucker. It is the details that cost money. I mean if this was food the statement would be. "Yeah, that resturants food is borderline gruel but hey! its only like 3 bucks for a plate!"

BTW, $25 dollars. That is giving it away. Guy might be better off handing you a fin and calling it a day:eek:ut:

There always seems to be a vocal minority who relish in getting the "deal" when often it turns out to be false economy. Rant over....:D
I get where you coming from, but let me say this:

The guy hasn't done a ton of bikes. He does all sorts of other stuff (hot rod car frames, metal fences, outdoor furniture, etc). I'm not sure where the level of communication has been between his customers with problems, but since he doesn't know bike stuff exactly there's the problem.

He's not the guy being referenced above about the brake studs (by another poster). My friend who had a problem with the powder on his fork (the flat area where the race meets the crown) might not have been exact in his instructions. I wasn't there, so I dunno.

Yeah, I'm using him because he is cheap, relatively local, and I have to admit this is a project that is only being done to preserve the steel with something more durable than the current (failing) paint. I'm paying $10 for a fork and $65 for a frame/fork later (my Zion). I hardly want to put a pricey coat of something shiny on my $149 frame, but my rattle-can job ain't lasting.

Wasting your time with my internet question? Only if you bothered to read and respond. All I wanted to know was if I could bang the race on/off without messing up the powder coat. Sorry (honestly) if you feel it's a waste of your time, but whatever happened to "no such thing as a dumb question"? I posted this in a forum where I thought I could get some knowledge from people who would know (as opposed to just throwing it up in the 29'er forum and getting opinions), and I was just looking for a "yes" or "no" answer.

Now if I was going to have a frame/fork I really cared about powder coated or painted...

Yes, I would find somebody who does BIKE FRAMES and knows exactly what he's doing.

Late edit: I should add that the Zion had the cable stops moved, and I had to rattle can it temporarily till I had time to give up the frame for awhile. Once I have my new ti frame the frame will be powder coated and hung on the wall as a back-up (for me or if someone I know needs to borrow a bike). Maybe that should be enough of a reason to understand why this is a bottom dollar project.

·
Category Winner
6,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
teamdicky said:
Now if I was going to have a frame/fork I really cared about powder coated or painted...

Yes, I would find somebody who does BIKE FRAMES and knows exactly what he's doing.
Dang, I just realized something.

I should add that I have trusted people with great reps in the industry (painting and fabrication) and been burned four times. Paint specific? A company known for some of the best paint out there put so much paint on my Paragon cable guides I couldn't fit a zip tie through the hole and even managed to get some paint in my bottle bosses. I had to actually drill out the paint to get a zip tie to go through it. They were paid for their experience and expertise, and I got lackluster results.

Have you built my 36'er yet dbohemian??? I need it by June.

·
Registered
725 Posts
teamdicky said:
Dang, I just realized something.

I should add that I have trusted people with great reps in the industry (painting and fabrication) and been burned four times. Paint specific? A company known for some of the best paint out there put so much paint on my Paragon cable guides I couldn't fit a zip tie through the hole and even managed to get some paint in my bottle bosses. I had to actually drill out the paint to get a zip tie to go through it. They were paid for their experience and expertise, and I got lackluster results.

Have you built my 36'er yet dbohemian??? I need it by June.
No hard feelings on the powder:D Personally I think the concept of "no such thing as a stupid question" is some sort of plot that all 4th grade school teachers perpetrate on all of us to make us feel better.

As far as the 36'r.....

and I will make it so:cornut:

·
Category Winner
6,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
dbohemian said:
No hard feelings on the powder:D Personally I think the concept of "no such thing as a stupid question" is some sort of plot that all 4th grade school teachers perpetrate on all of us to make us feel better.
As a bike messenger who has answered the "What do you do when it rains?" question three million times over the last twelve years I concur.

There are actually many stupid questions.

Money?

Meh, last time I tried to get one built I had some money and some limited interest from a few parties to pull it off. It was close enough to reality that I started collecting parts, had I9 promise me a set of SS hubs, Ben Witt was gonna do some tire trimming, Warwick had a design...

Then money, time, and other constraints pulled it away from my grasp. I still wanna show up at SSWC and do a hundie on one some day. Maybe MOOTS is sick of building Mike Curiak's snow bikes....

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
teamdicky - another option to prevent worries about scratching or chipping the 'coat would be to tape off the upper portion of the fork steerer, with instructions on not sand/bead blasting it, instructions on masking the crown race area, and then if it should get coated down there, find a shop (or mechanic friend) that has a fork crown facing tool and clean off the paint and guarantee your race has a good place to seat! Pay the guy an extra $10 for the masking work - it'd be worth it to me!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.