Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone see the front page of the Valley and State today? They are talking about closing the Granite Mountain trails, primarily to Jeeps and ATVs, but it could also affect mountain bikers, according to the article.

The area is near Pima and Dynamite Roads. I really haven't ridden up there, so I am not sure if we stand to lose much. Anyone ride up there?

Apparently the whole problem stems from fairly new city ordinance about dust control and the main problem is the unkept parking lot which kicks up dust.

This sounds like it could also affect The Playground near Loop 101 and Pima, also.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Tons of parcels of State Trust land is closed due to "Dust Abatement" you can check the web site for the "what's open and what's closed" map.

For some odd reason the state believes that all the dust kicked up by construction is whats causing the nasty brown cloud hanging over the downtown area and all those "unsafe air quality" days.

There is no way it could be caused by the 47 billion autos driving around, or that nasty coal fired powerplant in Tempe and/or Page (or where ever that thing is)? That's just crazy talk right there - blaming smog on cars and coal, CRAZY I tell ya.

·
dirt visionary
6,522 Posts
Granite Mt. is off limits to all motorized travel as of May. They have erected tons of new fence out that way and are closing more areas.

·
shred my gnar
604 Posts
General Havoc said:
Tons of parcels of State Trust land is closed due to "Dust Abatement" you can check the web site for the "what's open and what's closed" map.

For some odd reason the state believes that all the dust kicked up by construction is whats causing the nasty brown cloud hanging over the downtown area and all those "unsafe air quality" days.

There is no way it could be caused by the 47 billion autos driving around, or that nasty coal fired powerplant in Tempe and/or Page (or where ever that thing is)? That's just crazy talk right there - blaming smog on cars and coal, CRAZY I tell ya.
you are right but the addition of airborne particulates from construction activities, dirt roads, prescribed fires, burning off scrub during development, etc are kinda frowned upon by the likes of adeq and various municipalities b/c they are making a bad situation worse. these types of things are more easily remedied (not allowing them) then changing the driving habits of phoenicians.

right or wrong, i believe this is the main reason for their thinking.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I agree the dust abatement is a good idea, and have no problem with stopping or cutting down all the things you mentioned, however I don't think closing the same land to hikers, horses and mt. bikers makes much sense.

When they red flag an area it is my understanding that nobody and nothing is allowed to be on the land not even hikers.

The problems is even red flagged areas are breeched by motorcycle riders, ATV riders, 4x4's and illegal trash dumping and the powers-that-be are so grossly understaffed that there is little they can do to stop it.

The state also knows that when they sell the land to some developer, for the most part the developer will have to foot the bill to clean up the trash/land.

And the cycle continues. Just means that the guys looking to shoot up a TV or washing machine will have to go farther out.

·
livin' the dream......
1,969 Posts
I had done some homework on the State Land Department a while back and found that they have 2 enforcement rangers for 9 million acres of land.

I have seen Scottsdale PD out at P & D in the fall in full contact mode. They were on atv/horse & mtn and were basically showing a presence in the area. Not sure if they were citing for anything in particular.

I ride there off & on as it is not too far for me. If they close this area, it will be tough to enforce unless they do it by air, as there are so many places to access.

Part of this land is slated for the McDowell Sonoran Preserve, there is also some Game & Fish land, and the majority is State land. Time will tell.................

·
Registered
51 Posts
Perhaps they should ban leaf blowers that the small army of mexicans use to "clean" rock yards and parking lots...all they do is kick up a cloud of dirt for no reason. i cant stand those things. Heaven forbid the rocks get dusty or leafs fall on a parking lot.

Those guys will roam around for unnecessary amounts of time I swear just milkin the clock blowin schit all over the place.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Ridiculous Politicians..

This is a feeble attempt by our State Legislature to punish people for no viable reason. The State/County is risking losing federal subsidies if we don't improve our air quality. The patrol of the City of Scottsdale is a deal worked out with the State Land Dept. because they have little to no enforcment of their own. This is all about greed and mis-management.

I fail to see that the dust abatement issue will be stopped or even remotely dented by stopping OHV/Trail use in this area. I personally ride motocross on the trails out there from time to time, and have never witnessed enough of a dust problem out there to justify this kind of knee jerk reaction.

Last time I travelled through Maricopa coming back from SD there was a farmer plowing crops with about a 200' column of dust blowing everywhere. If the State/County is so worried about Maricopa County Air Quality I think they should stick it to everybody equally. Farmers, OHV crowd, Developers, Landscapers, Hikers, Bikers, Crop Dusters, Lawnmowers, Weed Eaters. Too bad this used to be a free country.

·
shred my gnar
604 Posts
total agree bwd... closing trails seems rather misguided at best.

i was just pointing out how these municipalities within greater metro phx are attempting to not compund already hideous air quality.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Rimjob said:
Perhaps they should ban leaf blowers that the small army of mexicans use to "clean" rock yards and parking lots...all they do is kick up a cloud of dirt for no reason. i cant stand those things. Heaven forbid the rocks get dusty or leafs fall on a parking lot.

Those guys will roam around for unnecessary amounts of time I swear just milkin the clock blowin schit all over the place.
The MTD lawn equipment factory is in the neighborhood of my office in South Tempe. Every so often I pass a couple of guys who are obviously testing prototype blowers -- they walk around aimlessly blasting dust into the air through various parking lots in the area. At least they're developing a quiet four-stroke model, though. I've seen that a few times, too. But it blows just as much.

·
No Clue Crew
7,672 Posts
Please do some research before flipping out, folks. City of Scottsdale has closed several areas TO VEHICLE TRAFFIC ONLY due to dust abatement ordinances. These closures to vehicle traffic have no effect on hikers, bikers or horse riders.

FYI, SPD has a new Parks and Rec. squad to enforce this sort of stuff.

·
rockcrusher
90 Posts
Did anyone see the front page of the Valley and State today? They are talking about closing the Granite Mountain trails, primarily to Jeeps and ATVs, but it could also affect mountain bikers, according to the article
Maricopa county's dust abatement laws hold the property owner responsible for dust abatement. This means either laying down a dust abatement layer like Terra-Loc or banning the source (OHV's). Remember, Scottsdale is enforcing their dust abatement ordinance in the staging/parking areas too, which could place mtbrs, hikers and equestrians at risk of getting fined.

·
rockcrusher
90 Posts
Blatant said:
As I understood the ordinances and the enforcement in a briefing training, hikers/bikers/horses will NOT be affected by this.
d
If they kick up dust in a parking/staging area they will be. Enforcement by the city will be on a by complaint basis. Below is an email from the city enviromental coordinator stating their view on the "OHV ban"... it's as clear as mud:rolleyes:

As I indicated in our phone conversation, the State Land Department, as property owner of the Granite Mountain MultiUse Area, is the only entity that can "close" their land to OHV use. They have not taken that official step.

However, please be aware that the Scottsdale Police Department will enforce, on a complaint basis, any OHV or other vehicle trespass on vacant land (i.e. if an OHV is riding in the Granite Mountain area without a Permit from the State Land Department). Such OHV riders are subject to citation and fine under city ordinances. A second scenario is that if the Scottsdale Police Department receives a complaint about an OHV rider kicking up dust on an unpaved surface, including in the Granite Mountain area, but they have a Permit, they will be asked to leave and ride in an area that has been dust controlled by the property owner. Since the State Land Department has not stabilized any portion of the Granite Mountain area, OHV riders will be asked to go elsewhere. Also be aware that parking/staging areas for your highway vehicles must also be stabilized to control dust. Thanks. LP

Larry D. Person
Sr. Environmental Coordinator

·
Registered
7 Posts
gkl said:
Did anyone see the front page of the Valley and State today? They are talking about closing the Granite Mountain trails, primarily to Jeeps and ATVs, but it could also affect mountain bikers, according to the article.

The area is near Pima and Dynamite Roads. I really haven't ridden up there, so I am not sure if we stand to lose much. Anyone ride up there?

Apparently the whole problem stems from fairly new city ordinance about dust control and the main problem is the unkept parking lot which kicks up dust.

This sounds like it could also affect The Playground near Loop 101 and Pima, also.
Regarding the Playground - the Scottsdale Police are regulars there and are actually pretty nice guys, but require that you have a state permit to ride (I spent $15 and got mine in a week) - the said absolutely no atv's moto's or trucks (the new dust laws) but bikes should always be fine. This place is heaven for those of us in Phoenix and its simply perfect man so get the state land permit so the cops get it in their heads that most the guys there are cool and respect them and the new rules, bring a shovel and a trash bag too - otherwise...that would suck - but no, the new dust stuff wont stop Bikes (I do make a lot of dust when I crash..which is frequent ;)

Ride on.
D.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Man! I agree with the guy who rides motocross. If you dont see a problem with them closing one part of the "off road" world then thats crap...Us(all mtbr's) all off road... just taking more crap away from us that people seem to have no issues with unless it effects them. I ride an ATV(granted not Phoenix area) and am amazed its ok to control dust of how many people? In no time flat we wont be able to go anywhere but work and home....on city transportation that you rent a seat on. COME ON!!!

·
No Clue Crew
7,672 Posts
As someone who rides/has ridden moto, quads and spent years involved in fairly extreme rockcrawling, I do respect others' rights to use the land in a responsible manner.

Given some of the "negatives" associated with that form of motorized pastimes these days, I'm not terribly surprised this is happening. The writing's been on the wall for years and it's based, at least in small part, on the behavior of the people it's affecting.

I think, if you want to continue in offroad motorsports, you're going to find yourself farther and farther away from urban areas. That's not necessarily a bad thing.
d

·
Registered
242 Posts
People also know what they move in around. Dont move in and expect a shooting range, race track, off-road course, Military Base to close down for you. I can understand as some people do abuse theirs rights to use the land but as stated bicycles do it all the time too. Street riders disregarding stop signs or traffic lights, mtbr's not using "open" trails and forging own paths. There are people in every group that contibute to this.... Will limiting off roaders dust really help air quality that much? And when they do a study on air quality after and it hasnt gotten any better are they going to open these areas back up because it didnt help?(No is the answer...but just makes you wonder whats next.)

·
Wait, what!?
742 Posts
My father and I have been upset about this for quite some time now. He has a house on 160th street, north of Dynamite. Not only does he have a house, but that house is built right in the middle of a 20 acre ranch that is NOT covered in that nasty smelling dust abatement, a ranch that is NOT covered over with concrete, a ranch that has maybe a total of a half acre of mow-able grass on it, and a ranch that was fenced off and bought in the middle of the desert. We ride motos out there, often from the front door to the Bartlett Lake Road, some times around Granite Mountain, we used to ride way north of the BLR, and anything in between. I just dont understand why so many people can b**** and moan about dust, given the areas they live in. Most of the roads out there are dirt, 95% of everyones property out there is covered in dirt, a large portion of residents out there board, own, and ride horses (who live in the dirt), and the slightest gust of wind kicks up more dirt then a dirt bike does when its traveling twice as fast!

On this side of things, the residents of the area complaining about the, you guest it, dirt in the air, it just seems stupid. Its almost like someone choosing to live in the rain forest, but wants someone to pass a law so they can hang their laundry out to dry whenever they want. It comes with the territory. I have a hard time believing that motos, ATVs, OHV, and whatever else cause so much more dust particles in the air that they need to be banned from this area. There is no way they put as much dust in the air as a 2008 Cadi Escalade does when its making the mile long drive down 160th street at 30 mph.

It sure seems like a money thing to me. When the GF and I were sitting at the Verde River on our dirt bikes (hers is just the same as mine for the purpose of me showing a point), Ranger Rick shows up and wants to know how we got there. I pointed to about a 100 yard stretch of dirt road that leads to the river from the trail we had come down, and seeing as how my bike isnt street legal, but the GFs is, he told me that he was not going to allow me to take the same route back to the trail, but she could. I guess having a plate on your bike makes it cleaner....?

Sorry for the long post!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.