Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey,
I am heading to Chelan with my wife and some friends. We will be there July 19 and 20. My wife and our friends are competing in the the Chelanman Triathalon. I am looking to ride (shuttle) Pot Peak. I don't think I am interested in doing the ride with out a shuttle but I could be talked into that.

Can any one give me route / trail advice? Will the Pot Peak route be snow free by then? Any one in the area interested in meeting and riding with me? I am a stong intermediate rider on a Norco Six, who rides Galbraith and Blanchard on a regular basis.

If snow is a problem, I might go down to Mission Ridge / Devils Gulch for a day depending on trail reports/conditions in both places that weekend.

Eric

·
I should be out riding
1,866 Posts
I was just looking at the USFS recreation report, and as of 6/23, I think it said the lower 4 miles of Pot Peak were snow free. Seemed like most trails at higher altitudes still had a lot of snow. Not sure if it'll be melting fast enough to be clear by 7/19, or if it will need to be logged out once the snow is gone.

bigE said:
Hey,
I am heading to Chelan with my wife and some friends. We will be there July 19 and 20. My wife and our friends are competing in the the Chelanman Triathalon. I am looking to ride (shuttle) Pot Peak. I don't think I am interested in doing the ride with out a shuttle but I could be talked into that.

Can any one give me route / trail advice? Will the Pot Peak route be snow free by then? Any one in the area interested in meeting and riding with me? I am a stong intermediate rider on a Norco Six, who rides Galbraith and Blanchard on a regular basis.

If snow is a problem, I might go down to Mission Ridge / Devils Gulch for a day depending on trail reports/conditions in both places that weekend.

Eric

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
considering the next two days should be 100 degrees + and a week in the 90's alot of snow should be melting soon. My gf is doing the triathelon and if I'm around I'd be willing to ride pot peak.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pics

Gee,

Thanks for the pics. I pm'ed you with a few questions about your ride.

We are hoping to ride this trail this coming Saturday morning.

bigE

·
Registered
373 Posts
PyramidAndPugh

GeePhroh said:
Just did Devil's Backbone/Pot Peak this weekend and it's totally ridable.
Thinking of doing Pyramid Peak OAB from Shady Pass, with a follow-on ride down Pugh Ridge (CCW loop, coming up from Entiat River below). Ranger was vague on trail conditions that high right now but -- if DB/PP are rideable already, odds seem pretty good methinks. Thoughts anyone?

Launching tomorrow, somewhere high -- hell, why not shoot for 7K? :cool:

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
GeePhroh said:
Just did Devil's Backbone/Pot Peak this weekend and it's totally ridable. One tiny spot of snow right above the sh*tty scree hike-a-bike, but otherwise in good condition. And you owe us beers for clearing out most of the blowdown. ;-)

Pics here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geeview/sets/72157606178154704/
Awesome pics amigo. Count me in for another weekend.....Fall maybe?

EB

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
SRR said:
Thinking of doing Pyramid Peak OAB from Shady Pass, with a follow-on ride down Pugh Ridge (CCW loop, coming up from Entiat River below). Ranger was vague on trail conditions that high right now but -- if DB/PP are rideable already, odds seem pretty good methinks. Thoughts anyone?

I'm thinking you won't have a problem. Some snow at the start of the final climb to the summit is about it. Just a guess.

Pugh Ridge is cool, don't lose the trail.

Monte

·
i'm schralping yer thread
1,257 Posts
25-Mile Creek Closed

If you do the Pot Peak / Devil's Backbone, don't count on doing 25 Mile Creek trail, as of last year it was totally wasted. too bad because it was totally sweet back in the day.
Yeah Gonz...the 25-Mile Creek trail is officially closed this season. Too much damage -- and no money for USFS trail building...

·
1,257 Posts
We'll Hook It Up!

FM said:
I'll be out there again this year in September with the wife's fam, sept 13-16. :thumbsup:
Last year sL4yEr and I did the same route as G-fro, wicked fun- video here
FM and EB -- we'll hook something up for sure. My in-laws have the place every other weekend.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Devil's Backbone / Pot Peak

What a cool ride! We shuttled to the Windy Camp / Stormy Mtn. trail head and then rode / hiked across the backbone and down to Snowberry via the Pot Peak trail. Awesome fun. In hind sight, we should have started from the Handy Springs Trail head for a shorter shuttle drive.

I have to admit that even though we shuttled, we still ended up hiking quite a few of the climbs on Devil's Backbone up to Stormy Mtn. We found the trail to be very loose and dusty which seemed to make climbing more difficult. It could also be that being in decent shape when riding at or near sea level doesn't mean your in good shape at or near 7000ft. Anyone else care to say if they hiked some of the climbs?

How does Devil's Gulch / Mission Ridge compare to Pot Peak, as far as climbing difficulty? That route is on my short list too.

bigE

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
bigE said:
Anyone else care to say if they hiked some of the climbs?
Sure did.

How does Devil's Gulch / Mission Ridge compare to Pot Peak, as far as climbing difficulty? That route is on my short list too.

bigE
Most of the climbs on DG/MR can be ridden. There's maybe 1 or 2 on MR that I haven't been able to ride. Several more than that on Devils Backbone if I remember right.

Monte

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
SRR said:

Ahem, been a week, where's the RR?

·
1,257 Posts
Hike-A-Bike?

bigE said:
What a cool ride! We shuttled to the Windy Camp / Stormy Mtn. trail head and then rode / hiked across the backbone and down to Snowberry via the Pot Peak trail. Awesome fun. In hind sight, we should have started from the Handy Springs Trail head for a shorter shuttle drive.
Hey bigE, glad you had a good one -- the scenery up there's pretty crazy.

bigE said:
I have to admit that even though we shuttled, we still ended up hiking quite a few of the climbs on Devil's Backbone up to Stormy Mtn. We found the trail to be very loose and dusty which seemed to make climbing more difficult. It could also be that being in decent shape when riding at or near sea level doesn't mean your in good shape at or near 7000ft. Anyone else care to say if they hiked some of the climbs?
Wha?! You mean you didn't ride the scree switchbacks? ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.