Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
here today
Joined
·
5,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Apologies, I'm posting for my wife. She on vacation and out of touch; not that she's a poster here but likes to shoulder lurk. Here is the question that popped into our phone conversation: for those that have had kids or just plain know, how much time after birth did you/should you wait prior to *active* excercise - and what type of activity should be started. She's looking to get back to strenous activity in 3-6 months from now but does not want to over do it (5 months postpartum now) but at the same time is finding swimming alone is just not enough this time around (5th pregnancy).

She is 'stoked' to get back into the woods and has ordered a Commencal Combi (delivery next week) but also wonders about getting back on the seat. Advice or encouragements ?
 

·
Don't worry, be happy!
Joined
·
8,141 Posts
many factors, there's no easy answer.
Factors include: physician's recommendation, physical condition prior to and during pregnancy, what kind of delivery ( easy/hard/C-section/episitomy etc) how much sleep she's getting, general energy level etc.

Assuming there aren't conditions that preclude exercise, I'd think she'd follow her ob's recommendations and work back into what ever she was doing before. I was taking long walks and doing ab work within days of delivery, but I had super easy births and no stitches. I would think that 5 months post delivery is plenty time past to resume an exercise program. Sometimes you are just to dang tired, tho!!!

formica
 

·
Des(s)ert Rat
Joined
·
4,961 Posts
zenmonkey said:
5th pregnancy
Yowza! First of all, with that many kids she needs to make sure she gets enough sleep! Then I would say that formica's advice seems pretty sound. I was out very early (4 weeks on a bike after c-sections), but I was in excellent shape prior to pregnancies and during pregnancies. Also, I heal at a "super-human" rate according to my doctors. It is very individual and depends so much on the other life factors (I didn't have to go back to work and I didn't have so many other children).
 

·
here today
Joined
·
5,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
formica said:
many factors, there's no easy answer.
Factors include: physician's recommendation, physical condition prior to and during pregnancy, what kind of delivery ( easy/hard/C-section/episitomy etc) how much sleep she's getting, general energy level etc.

Assuming there aren't conditions that preclude exercise, I'd think she'd follow her ob's recommendations and work back into what ever she was doing before. I was taking long walks and doing ab work within days of delivery, but I had super easy births and no stitches. I would think that 5 months post delivery is plenty time past to resume an exercise program. Sometimes you are just to dang tired, tho!!!

formica
the easiest so far :) with a lesser epi, now over (?!). We both feel her ob is a (male) door knob - however her 'sage femme' was really amazing and I'll suggest she get back in touch with her - I had not thought of that - we had a good time with the birth prep classes (you'd think we'd know about that by now, but better late than never!!). Sleep is ok for both of us, but she pulls more than her share as she's breast feeding. She actually took off for a week for a conference in the States (even went to a LBS) and that got her some sleep and energy levels back as she wasn't only eating for herself.
 

·
here today
Joined
·
5,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
impressive (C-section + 4wks) certainly superhuman. I hear you both on sleep factors, actually the sleep deprivers are only the 2 youngest (5 months and 2 years) We end up sharing (I deal with the 2ye old) otherwise we would commit unspeakable acts like putting said child in basement. Our second daughter did not let us have a full night's rest for almost 4 years.

Think I'll go take a nap....

But did either of you do any specific excercise regimes to get back in shape?
 

·
life is a barrel o'fun
Joined
·
2,502 Posts
No, I've never had kids, but I do watch The Nanny, so I am rather qualified to advise you guys..... :p

As long as she's "stoked," and isn't suffering physically, then it's all about the scheduling and sleep. The body responds well to exercise, I suspect it would help with stuff like postpartum depression and such.

Sometimes I wish I could experience pregnancy just to see how much exercise I could get in until the last minute, and to see how it helps with the process- you know, as an experiment, I'm curious. Then I'd have to give away the baby after I'm done ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
I know a gal

that is superfit and was back racing in a 24 hour event (only 1 lap) at 5 weeks and and 8 hour (2 laps) at 7 weeks. Mind you this gal rode in a 7 hour cycle rogaine on a tandem with hubby at 6 months pregnant so I would say she is an exception.

Me personally took 13 years to get another bike and 15 years to decide to get serious about fitness and start training.

I guess the best rule of thumb is for her to listen to her body. If she is getting to tired or something hurts step back to see why.
 

·
here today
Joined
·
5,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Christine said:
No, I've never had kids, but I do watch The Nanny, so I am rather qualified to advise you guys..... :p

As long as she's "stoked," and isn't suffering physically, then it's all about the scheduling and sleep. The body responds well to exercise, I suspect it would help with stuff like postpartum depression and such.

Sometimes I wish I could experience pregnancy just to see how much exercise I could get in until the last minute, and to see how it helps with the process- you know, as an experiment, I'm curious. Then I'd have to give away the baby after I'm done ;)
You are qualified by just being 'here' (or is it 'there', dang I hate the virtuality of location). I wasn't talking pp depression, this was a good delivery without ppd, and had that been the case I am sure excercise and sleep both help. As to your potential post-experiment, please don't call us our shoe is full. :)

As to the door nob OB, this one was less of a nob than the one he replaced (6 months down the pregnancy) but he is out. But my wife will now be sticking to her GYN/GP only. And her midwife (called wise woman here) and phys therapist...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
256 Posts
sooner the better, eh?

I, like 'pint, was back on in 4 weeks. It was way easier (read less painful) to get back on the bike after childbirth than it had been to get back on after the broken wrist. Now, falling asleep on the bike and therefore falling off due to extreme lack of sleep is a potential problem!

btw: my newborn bought me a Trek OCLV 5200 WSD - what a good baby!
 

·
Don't worry, be happy!
Joined
·
8,141 Posts
zenmonkey said:
As to the door nob OB, this one was less of a nob than the one he replaced (6 months down the pregnancy) but he is out. But my wife will now be sticking to her GYN/GP only. And her midwife (called wise woman here) and phys therapist...
midwives rule. My first was delivered by an OB that has been partially trained by the same midwife who delivered #2. My favorite thing she said on my one week check up, after #2. She said, "wow, you are healing great, you can resume relations any time you want. But you can tell him I said six weeks if you are too tired".

Dumbest door nob OB thing I ever heard: I had an acquaintance who's old school OB wouldnt' let her swim, beaches public pools or anything else because of potential contamination issues. WTF? I guess he was absent the day they taught about the mucus plug in med school.

formica
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top