Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
3,707 Posts
Nice review. Are those goat heads stuck in your tire? Are you running tubeless?

I was hoping RR would come out with a 2.4 version of the snakeskin.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
p nut said:

Nope, just dry flower blossoms. No flats, punctures or pinches. Never came close to bottoming out the tires even at 21psi.

Not tubeless tires. Have a nice set of Kenda Superlight 29" tubes installed.

After using the 2.25 I do not really see the need for the 2.40, though I do want to ride the bigger tire.

·
3,707 Posts
Thanks for the response. I am running fully rigid, which is why I'd like some extra volume. Bigger the better for me. :D

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
p nut said:
Thanks for the response. I am running fully rigid, which is why I'd like some extra volume. Bigger the better for me. :D
rant "Fully" rigid? A "fully" has suspension on both wheels. Rigid has no suspension on either end. A hardtail has a suspension fork and rigid rear end. /rant
Uber suspension has a sussy fork and rear end, Softride stem and Thudbuster seatpost and gives Padre nightmares.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
nice....a great tire made better, a la snakeskin

the 2.4s are nice but damn if you dont have some serious clearance between stays otherwise you are asking for rubbing for sure when torqueing. Though up front hellz yeah

2.25 would rock (out back) so thanks for the heads up

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
shiggy said:
rant "Fully" rigid? A "fully" has suspension on both wheels. Rigid has no suspension on either end. A hardtail has a suspension fork and rigid rear end. /rant
Uber suspension has a sussy fork and rear end, Softride stem and Thudbuster seatpost and gives Padre nightmares.
what would you consider a FS bike with suspension locked out front and rear?

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
shiggy said:
And a rigid bike with a softride and a thuddy would be flaccid

·
Your Best Friend
5,457 Posts
I've been running the 2.4s on my Sultan. They weigh 606 and 600 grams each.

I love them so far and they have been very impressive. So far my favorite tire. Biggest issue for me is the clearance on the front. I am running an 09 Reba Team and it fits, but just barely. Any mud at all and I have problems.

I just got a set of the 2.25's, they weigh 546 and 534 grams each. I am hoping to get all of the advantages of the 2.4s without the clearance issue. Plus I'll lose 126 grams which will put my XL DW Sultan under 27lbs! At least I hope so. The 26ish mark is my holy grail.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
boomn said:
shockingly on topic question: does the different compound combo wear any slower?
The outside compound is softer in the middle than on the edges, like most dual compound tires--firmer in the middle for better wear and roll, softer on the edges for cornering grip. By using a harder base rubber "core"* you get better support for the soft compounds so the tread actually works better without as much knob flex and reduced chance of chunking. A slightly softer rubber can also be used in the center for improved grip without affecting the rolling resistance very much.

*the harder "core" extending up into the thread blocks and the outer compound "caps" it for the final shape.

·
3,707 Posts
shiggy said:
Obviously, "fully" used in the "fully rigid" context does not mean "full suspension." Rather, its synonyms would include "completely", "entirely", or "totally." "Full" is defined as "complete in every particular." Fully rigid = completely stiff.

But I'll stop using that term.....when the "Clydesdale" section gets changed to "Ogres".

:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
p nut said:
Obviously, "fully" used in the "fully rigid" context does not mean "full suspension." Rather, its synonyms would include "completely", "entirely", or "totally." "Full" is defined as "complete in every particular." Fully rigid = completely stiff.
...= redundant.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
shiggy said:
The outside compound is softer in the middle than on the edges, like most dual compound tires--firmer in the middle for better wear and roll, softer on the edges for cornering grip. By using a harder base rubber "core"* you get better support for the soft compounds so the tread actually works better without as much knob flex and reduced chance of chunking. A slightly softer rubber can also be used in the center for improved grip without affecting the rolling resistance very much.

*the harder "core" extending up into the thread blocks and the outer compound "caps" it for the final shape.
Thanks shiggy. This really sounds like a great trail tire.

·
Mouth-Breather / Huffer
650 Posts
:thumbsup:
p nut said:

Being an Ogre on a fully (I kid, I kid...) rigid myself, I, too, would be interested in snakeskin RR in a 2.4. At the moment, the WTB WW 2.55 is on my list for the front due to volume, but I'm a little hesitant due to washouts...

·
Registered
588 Posts
I run the 2.4 on the front of my rigid 29er and it works great. I ride in very dry, often loose, and rocky desert terain and have not had an issue yet after about 300 miles. Great float, rolls great, corners good, has been holding up very well, and it's light. I was initially concerned that this rather expensive tire would become rock fodder in a matter of a few rides but it has been holding it's own. It would be nice if the 2.4 came with snake skin too.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Are these snakeskin versions on general release, or has Shiggy managed to get a pre-release?

Schwalbe UK haven't got them listed as they haven't got the 2010 list

1 - 20 of 28 Posts