Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.... I've been looking around for a good rear tire.. its easy for the front, there are many proven tires (ex: Maxxis Minion DHF's, Nokian Gazzalodi's, WTB timberwolves). Its a little harder for the rear because its under much more weight and tires with large knobs, they tend to get sheared of eventually. The sidewalls also have to a little beefy because they take the biggest impact on drops and rock gardens. They have to have low rolling resistance because of they carry most of the weight when going uphill. Do sticky tires make rolling harder? I've had good experience with sticky Maxxis Mobsters 2.35. They have a low profile and barely and knob but they seem to grip well even in deep mud for some reason. But they slip easily on the landings of drops and jumps. Has anyone found the holy grail of tires? I;m looking for something freeride/all mountain ,about 2.3. Any ideas? thanks!

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
I like my Hutchinson Barracuda 2.3... available UST or for tubes in different rubbers. I use the MRC Medium UST. They are slightly bigger than a Maxxis 2.35, they grip better yet still roll better than a High Roller.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
Last summer Kenda Nevegal great traction up and down. No sidewall cuts or flats, wore out two.

This and last winter, Nokian Mt and Ground Studs, great traction almost up to Nevegal in certain conditions, greater on our ice and snow and frozen ground.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
My holy grail of tires = Schwalbe Big Betty. Great rolling tire. Huge volume. Sturdy sidewall but not too heavy. Sticky and normal compounds. Works well front and rear.

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
SSINGA said:
My holy grail of tires = Schwalbe Big Betty. Great rolling tire. Huge volume. Sturdy sidewall but not too heavy. Sticky and normal compounds. Works well front and rear.

Is it my imagenation or does that look a fair bit like a Minion DHR?

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
fsrxc said:
Is it my imagenation or does that look a fair bit like a Minion DHR?
Maybe - but it smokes the Minion in cornering, straight line traction and rolling resistance for my terrain.

The Minion was one of the worst tires I have ever mounted on my bike. :mad:

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The nokian gazzalodi i had on the rear had great traction but terrible rolling resistance and weight. That geax sturdy looks like a good choice but i haven't seen many geax tires around. My nokians died from limestone that slanshed the sidewalls open. both front and rear. Those sidewalls are pretty beefy. I would hate to know what would of happened if I was running nevegals.

·
President Skroob
499 Posts
Maxxis Larson TT 2.0. Just took it out in wet sticky conditions which it performed poorly but here in Phoenix its great in dry conditions which we have about 330 days a year.

·
No good in rock gardens..
4,452 Posts
Maxxis's do anything, anywhere, anytime tyre....

The High Roller - seen here in it's somewhat slender 2.1 XC guise. Not too bad for a skinny little thing, but not the fastest, despite all the ramping of knobs and so forth. The size gives bags of clearance in my Tomac Taos with it's CNC yokes.

Attachments

·
Banned
4,348 Posts
Another Geax tire to try is the 2.35 Lobo Loco. Good rubber compound, round profile, works best in dry conditions. Not as tall as the Sturdy but still a good, durable tire.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
OK, I'll play...

My contribution-Cinder 2.25. I have them both front and rear. Great for the wet rooty, rocky east coast conditions.

Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
969 Posts
Rear tire...

I don't have a Holly Grail yet, but I'll site some experience which my be of value to someone.

To qualify: 1) Conditions here are generally dry and rocky, with dry dirt and gravel over slickrock. I travel with my bike a lot, so I have had a few WET weeks in Co, but most of where I travel is also dry and rocky (Utah). 2) The riding in my hood is constant up and down, rather than long up, long down. Because it seems you constsntly have to get your tire spinning again, I feel weight is more of an issue here than in other places. Momentum is a start-stop game. 3) I ride a 37lb, 7x7 bike, but it's my "trail bike" also (only bike) and I put a lot of miles on it: In Crested Butte, for example, everyone passed me on the grueling multi-hour uphills, but I cranked out those endless miles and eventually passed 'em on the way down! Again, I want as little weight as possible. 4) These are recent tires - no pint in discussing too far back, duh.

Okay, tires:
I wore out about 1/2 dozen 2.35 single-ply Nevegals tubeless on UST rims. I loved them, but eventually I began ripping the sidewalls out of the single-ply Nevegals - 2 brand new ones in a row!

So I went to the Nokian NBX 2.3 UST (now called the Gazza All Mountain? It's the exact same size & tread anyway..). I really liked that tire! It stuck on climbs and cornered 90% as well as the Nevegal, but rolled a lot faster! That one died w/ a puncture on a fast DH @ Brian Head. Overall, this has prbably been my favorite rear tire - nice compromise / balance of traction, low rolling resistance, cornering stability and weight!

Next I went to 2.3 UST Fat Albert. Absolutly sucked on the rear - way too "baloony" and flat out scarry on wet slickrock! It was a little better up front, especially on dirt and crushed-gravel type trails, but still to "bouncy" for our local rocky blocky terrain. It's been on the front of my girlfriends bike since, where it is appreciated.

Then I went to Big Betty's - gooey gluey version, in Fall 2006. I hated them so much I GAVE them away - free! I loved the light weight and extremely low rolling resistance, and I tried very hard to like them for three months, but they were just way too baloony and bouncy for the extremely rocky technical terrain around here - deflected like flubber even at silly low pressure! At Bootleg Canyon, with more shaley terrain and sharper rocks, they seemed a bit better, but still... Other racers who had them expressed the same complaints - some even ranting hatred! To be clear, I was running them tubless, so maybe with tubes the sidewalls would be more "dead". I'll try a thicker walled UST version if they become available.

Next was a 2.5 Minion DHR UST. The antithesis of the Big Betty - slow, heavy, "dead". That one lasted a handful of rides and was given away also. Something between these two tires would be perfect!

So I went back to the Nevegal, in a 2.5" 2-ply DH version. The 2-ply sidewalls are decent - still not as tough as Maxxis... As far as traction and cornering are concerned, this is without question my favorite rear tire. But it's really heavy (2.5 Neve weighs more than 2.7 Mobster, w/ weaker sidewalls) and has horrible rolling resistance, so the search goes on...

At this point I'm going to try a Geax Lobo Mas Loco 2.5 UST (950gr). I've heared good things about it for terrain like ours. If I don't like it, it's back to Nokian - either the Gazza AM or Assult X! Unfortunately, these do not come in UST.

Hope this helps :cornut:

Edit: after writing the above, I found the UST NBX 2.3 in my garrage! Upon examination, I found only a very small hole on the tread, so I patched it and put it on! We did an 18 mile ride toady, complete w/ rocky DH run a race pace (Bootleg DH race coming up, Norco's and such in the pack), a handfull of small drops (3-5ft), and a bunch of rocky trail w/ patches of mud, snow, and sand. On the drops to flat, I missed the meaty 2.5 DH Nevegal. But for everything else, the NBX was superior. I just seemed to rip today, even @ mile 16...

·
Don't Stop Spinnin'!
659 Posts
I have always used the Kenda Nevegal, but i switched the rear recently to the

Kenda Small Block Eight.. and... :thumbsup: i love it. really sticky, grippy, and fast rolling. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.