Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have a 2005 4X built up similarly to the MX series and love it. It's taken me through Moab, DH/DS races, and countless miles on the trails.
At 32lb, this bike feels really light and easy to throw around. The geo is great for agressive riding, with slack angles and a low BB for great cornering in the FR shock setting, and better climbing and clearance in the XC setting. I prefer the FR shock setting.

Attachments

·
The Quimby!
366 Posts
Nice bike pin-it :thumbsup: ! The older team colours are the best in my opinion. I think Cannondale really hit a winner with the Prophet frame design. The geometry and arrangement of the tubing seems to have given them a very strong, stiff bike which is still very light.

·
Registered
205 Posts
yarondot said:
very nice bike
I'm lokink to buy the MX1 with the Fox 36 in the front and the Dhx air
is ther a big diffrens
The difference is not large, the axle-to-crown height of the 36 + tall lower headset cup will mean a slightly slacker head angle and fractionally higher BB height. Overall, the handling should be about the same, and fox makes some very nice suspension. I imagine you'll be impressed.

Good luck :thumbsup:

·
Registered
657 Posts
yarondot said:
I'd love to see action pic and . and to what you have to say about them
Simply an amazing bike. Climbs very well and descends better. FOX rules. Mine is quite heavy with 2.8 and 2.5" Michelin downhill tires, but rides light and nimble. The components are stellar.....seat, handlebars, crankset, shifters, brakes, etc.....all excellent pieces. One change I made to mine was to get a 4-bolt 20T small chainring from Boone, also replaced the middle ring with a standard LX 32T. These lower gears were needed so that I could climb for hours at a time. Another change was to swap out the 6" rotors for 8 inchers (for coming back down).

Takes a little while to dial in the suspension what with so many adjustments, but once it is dialed in you can just forget about it. Same with the downhill tires....air them up about once a month and forget about them, run into and over anything without worry of shredding a tire.

Attachments

·
Registered
556 Posts
pin-it said:
I have a 2005 4X built up similarly to the MX series and love it. It's taken me through Moab, DH/DS races, and countless miles on the trails.
At 32lb, this bike feels really light and easy to throw around. The geo is great for agressive riding, with slack angles and a low BB for great cornering in the FR shock setting, and better climbing and clearance in the XC setting. I prefer the FR shock setting.
Here's mine. Not really an MX but a 600 frame fully custom built.
Climbs really well, geometry feels great, is rougher than other designs on the descents. I had a jekyll before this and the rear end of the jekyll soaked up bumps and was smoother over rough stuff than the prophet. I am guessing this has to do with the forward pivot because I had a gemini for a while and I had the same complaints. I've also ridden a Devinci Guzzler (horst 4 bar) and a Giant AC (faux bar) and these both are smoother in the rear on the decents but don't feel nearly as light and quick on the climbs.

PINIT - can you give me some info on how you set up your 4way? Sag % and rebound setting. I can't get a smooth feeling setup in the rear, especially on rough terrain like that rocky picture in your collection.

mtnpat - do you have any problem with tire/derailuer clearance in the rear? I get tire rub on my front der. with a 2.35 highroller in the rear. The only way I could run a bigger tire would be to use the middle ring only.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
coolatt said:
Here's mine. Not really an MX but a 600 frame fully custom built.
Climbs really well, geometry feels great, is rougher than other designs on the descents. I had a jekyll before this and the rear end of the jekyll soaked up bumps and was smoother over rough stuff than the prophet. I am guessing this has to do with the forward pivot because I had a gemini for a while and I had the same complaints. I've also ridden a Devinci Guzzler (horst 4 bar) and a Giant AC (faux bar) and these both are smoother in the rear on the decents but don't feel nearly as light and quick on the climbs.
Coolatt- is that a 66 on the front? We've been thinking about doing that for my g/fs prophet, she's getting to the limits of the lefty fork.Only problem is she's riding a xs so i'm wondering how much it will raise the front end. How balanced does the bike would feel with 6.6 and 5.75?

·
Registered
205 Posts
coolatt said:
Here's mine.

PINIT - can you give me some info on how you set up your 4way? Sag % and rebound setting. I can't get a smooth feeling setup in the rear, especially on rough terrain like that rocky picture in your collection.
I run low SPV pressure, almost minimum SPV volume, about 35% sag. Rebound I am not sure, enough that the back won't buck up in the stutter bumps. I find this duplicates the feel of a coil shock well and ramps up well. I also think the pedaling is good and I am happy with the feel of the rear, but I'm sure it could be stiffened up with some more SPV pressure.

mtnpat - could you give me some info about your BB height, shock mounting, and lower headset stack height? I trying to think about how a lyrik fork would change the handling of a prophet.

·
Registered
556 Posts
9.8m/s/s said:
Coolatt- is that a 66 on the front? We've been thinking about doing that for my g/fs prophet, she's getting to the limits of the lefty fork.Only problem is she's riding a xs so i'm wondering how much it will raise the front end. How balanced does the bike would feel with 6.6 and 5.75?
It's a Z1 light, 150mm of travel. Nice fork

·
Registered
657 Posts
pin-it said:
mtnpat - could you give me some info about your BB height, shock mounting, and lower headset stack height? I trying to think about how a lyrik fork would change the handling of a prophet.
I will measure the BB height for you tonight and report back.

For the shock mounting, I keep it in the XC setting. With the Fox 36 in the 6" travel mode, the head tube is already more slack than if the bike had a Lefty on it. Don't know the actual numbers, but the bike is very stable at speed, on drops, riding with no hands, etc when in the 6" mode. I also want the maximum BB height, so that is another reason to keep it in the XC setting. When I do longs climbs I quickly crank the TALAS adjustment down to the 4" travel mode and I am quite happy. Only once did I try the FR setting, that was when we were descending a clear cut for a gas line that went straight down the side of a mountain, I mean straight down for about 1/2 mile. I am sure it helped me there, but that was also just bumpy grassy terrain.

As far as the lower headset stack height, it is whatever came with the bike, appears to be a normal height dealio. When looking from the side, I think the top of the fork would just barely clear the frame, but since there are cables there, I don't really know, cable get in the way of letting the fork spin all the way around. Anyway, no extra front end height from lower headset stack.

·
Registered
657 Posts
coolatt said:
mtnpat - do you have any problem with tire/derailuer clearance in the rear? I get tire rub on my front der. with a 2.35 highroller in the rear. The only way I could run a bigger tire would be to use the middle ring only.
As a matter of fact I do have issues there, rear tire rubs front derailuer occasionally. If I tune the derailuer over so that it doesn't rub, I can just barely get the chain to drop from the middle ring back to the small ring. My mechanic buddy suggests I dish my rear rim to the left just a millimeter or two, but then you compromise frame clearance. Luckily I don't think frame clearance will be an issue.

·
Registered
657 Posts
pin-it said:
mtnpat - could you give me some info about your BB height
With the Fox 36r all the way extended to 6"of travel and the shock mounted in the XC setting, the BB height is exactly 14". With 36r reduced to 4" of travel it drops to 13.5".

I didn't check with the shock in the FR setting, because I don't use that.

·
Registered
205 Posts
mtnpat said:

As far as the lower headset stack height, it is whatever came with the bike, appears to be a normal height dealio. When looking from the side, I think the top of the fork would just barely clear the frame, but since there are cables there, I don't really know, cable get in the way of letting the fork spin all the way around. Anyway, no extra front end height from lower headset stack.
Thanks for the BB height check, looks like the lyrik will be a great match for the bike once that fork is released.

With regard to the cable issue, I had a similar problem with the pike, which has large adjuster knobs. I have to do a funny routing using zip-ties and tape to get my cables out of the way. My bars can now spin 180 in either direction, but the head/down tubes were clearly designed with the lefty in mind, so a normal or extra-large lower headset cup is necessary with most normal single-crown forks.

·
Registered
184 Posts
From your pictures It appears you're running a "flush" headset. What headset is it and how much clearance is there between the Fox 36 fork crown/controls and the down tube? I have a 05' 4X I'm looking to build up and I want to run as low a stack height headset as possible. I'm considering the E-13 internal reducer cups.

mtnpat said:
Simply an amazing bike. Climbs very well and descends better. FOX rules. Mine is quite heavy with 2.8 and 2.5" Michelin downhill tires, but rides light and nimble. The components are stellar.....seat, handlebars, crankset, shifters, brakes, etc.....all excellent pieces. One change I made to mine was to get a 4-bolt 20T small chainring from Boone, also replaced the middle ring with a standard LX 32T. These lower gears were needed so that I could climb for hours at a time. Another change was to swap out the 6" rotors for 8 inchers (for coming back down).

Takes a little while to dial in the suspension what with so many adjustments, but once it is dialed in you can just forget about it. Same with the downhill tires....air them up about once a month and forget about them, run into and over anything without worry of shredding a tire.
" h

·
Registered
556 Posts
powersusa said:
From your pictures It appears you're running a "flush" headset. What headset is it and how much clearance is there between the Fox 36 fork crown/controls and the down tube? I have a 05' 4X I'm looking to build up and I want to run as low a stack height headset as possible. I'm considering the E-13 internal reducer cups.

" h
On mine I have the Z1 light and a Cane Creek 1.5ZSR zero stack headset. There is only a few millimeters of clearance between the rebound knob on the stantion and frame when the wheel turns but the cables that are running there won't let the crown pass through anyway. So basically there is enough clearance, if the cables weren't there.

The MX1 I saw with a 36 on it had quite a large bottom cup, I would say around 1/2 an inch

·
Registered
657 Posts
powersusa said:
FSA Orbit Z1.5 is what came stock on the bike. It's a creaky son of a gun, whatever.....can't hear it when I'm riding.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 142 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.