Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've seen one other Nukeproof owner on these forums.

They (Nukeproof) make solid kit

Share yours

Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yeah not too many on these forums. Surprising considering how great the current Megas perform.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice looking trail whip ^^

·
i like rocks
1,606 Posts
After years of ridding bike park specific DH rigs I wanted to switch to something that I could ride anywhere, included extended climbing, but still rip the DH and bike park the way I love. After a bunch of research I went with the Nukeproof Mega 290.

Totally in love with this machine! Climbs like a goat, rips like a DH bike!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

The more I ride it... the more I like it

·
Fart smeller
Tell us what parts you're using.
18,080 Posts
Cool dog!

The bike's not bad, neither. ;)

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Almost completed build to desirable specification...

:pic To Come:

NB Nukeproof Scout 290 build:
-Frame: L
-Handle Bars: Azonic 770mm (off my old FS rig, trading them in/out for Funn Fatboys @785mm)
-Grips: Easton Lock On - Gum
-Brakes: M615's
-Stem: Kore 50mm
-Fork: X-Fusion Trace RL2 @140mm
-Wheels: (F) Stans Flox, off old FS 29er (R) Easton Heist 24
-Mudguard: Gorilla
-Seatpost: Reverb 125mm, off old FS 29er
-Saddle: Kona WTB off old FS 29er
-Crankset & BB: Shimano Zee 170mm, BB came w/ Crankset
-Chainring: Praxxis Wave Tech 30t - needed at a pinch for weekend ride, changing out for ABS Oval 30t
-Drivetrain: SLX - shifter, rear der, 11-42 cassette & chain, also off old FS 29er
-Tyres: (F) Onza Ibex 29x2.4/Hans Dampf 29x2.35 Evo Tsc, (R) Bontrager XR4 29x2.4/Maxxis Forekaster 29x2.35 Exo TR

Half of build had free shipping, other half off of my old FS 29er.

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ridden hard...

Put away, wet

·
Registered
26 Posts
Why aren't thesee around more? They seem like a great bang for the buck.

With that said, any info anyone can give about why this bike would be better than others and why it's not around more would be helpful. I'm strongly considering buying the Scout 290 Comp.

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Why aren't thesee around more? They seem like a great bang for the buck.

With that said, any info anyone can give about why this bike would be better than others and why it's not around more would be helpful. I'm strongly considering buying the Scout 290 Comp.
Website has some interesting info re, their history.

Sam Hill rides for them in the EWS.

Pull the trigger you went regret it

I heard about them through CRC.

First purchase was a Generator AM rim, then another Generator DH rim - these were for my former 650b mule.

Then I bought a Rear hub, (FS 29er) it had some issues with the pawls - 6 months and they packed it in.

I gave them the benefit of the doubt on that one.

When my FS 29er-s rear triangle started cracking up. I went about hunting for an in between bike.

Something that fit my budget, that accepted all my FS 29er parts & had similar geo.

Initially I was planning a 12 month hiatus from full squish. Now I know how awesome the Scout 290 is, I'll likely ride it until it gives up the ghost

My brain is already contemplating acquiring another frame... i.e. the Banshee Prime.

But, I can wait...

·
Andrew
197 Posts
Sup guys, I'm only about a third of the way thru my Nukeproof Scout 275 build, but so far I'm super pleased with how it's coming together. The last thing I did was wrap the Fox Factory 34's in the 40th anniversary graphics and I can't stop looking at it. Getting pumped to finish this up.

nuke1.jpg

Build so far:
Fox 34 140mm Factory CTD Forks
Hope 44/56 ZS Headset
Hope 68-73mm Bottom Bracket
Hope 50mm AM-FR Stem
Hope Seat Post Clamp
SRAM XG-1150 GX 11 Speed Cassette

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sup guys, I'm only about a third of the way thru my Nukeproof Scout 275 build, but so far I'm super pleased with how it's coming together. The last thing I did was wrap the Fox Factory 34's in the 40th anniversary graphics and I can't stop looking at it. Getting pumped to finish this up.

Build so far:
Fox 34 140mm Factory CTD Forks
Hope 44/56 ZS Headset
Hope 68-73mm Bottom Bracket
Hope 50mm AM-FR Stem
Hope Seat Post Clamp
SRAM XG-1150 GX 11 Speed Cassette
I 'Hope' it turns out OK

·
Andrew
197 Posts
Added a few parts since my last update..

Nuke3.jpg

6jUsPTQ.jpg

Fox 34 Factory FIT CTD Forks 140mm
Hope Pro 4 Hubs
DT Swiss EX471 32H Rims
Maxxis Minion DHF Exo 3C Maxx Terra TR 2.5 Front
Maxxis Aggressor Exo TR 2.3 Rear
Shimano Zee Brakes
Hope F20 Pedals
Hope Zero Stack Headset
Hope Bottom Bracket
Hope AM-FR Stem 50mm
Hope Seat Post Clamp
Hope Floating Rotors 180mm
Chromag Trailmaster DT Saddle
Bontrager Rhythm Elite Seatpost
Nukeproof Warhead Carbon Bars
Nukeproof Headset Spacers
Oury Grips
Jagwires Polished Cables
SRAM X1 1400 GXP 32T Crankset
SRAM X1 Trigger Shifter
SRAM X1 Rear Derailleur
SRAM XX1 Chain
SRAM GX Cassette

Current weight 27.5 lbs, hoping for <29 when fully loaded.

Just needing brakes, a seatpost and seat and it's ready to ride :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Pretty happy there is a devoted thread to our favourite bikes.

I purchased mine in March/April this year and I am very happy about it. I like to just look at it sometimes. Something about hardtails just appeals. I was skeptical about the 290 at first but after being recommended one by another person on this forum I couldn't be happier.

I didn't start this year a big rider but I am since getting this bike. The week I got it I took it to Thredbo for a ride down the AM track. I'm a novice and this track was so much fun. The bike ate it up. 290FTW!

Ill get some pics up later

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pretty happy there is a devoted thread to our favourite bikes.

I purchased mine in March/April this year and I am very happy about it. I like to just look at it sometimes. Something about hardtails just appeals. I was skeptical about the 290 at first but after being recommended one by another person on this forum I couldn't be happier.

I didn't start this year a big rider but I am since getting this bike. The week I got it I took it to Thredbo for a ride down the AM track. I'm a novice and this track was so much fun. The bike ate it up. 290FTW!

Ill get some pics up later
Good to hear you're enjoying the 290...

Mines a bit lame at the mo - rear wheel is with CRC for a Warranty claim & I'm waiting on bits to arrive to rebuild an old wheel.

Guess my 2017 Giant Reign will have to suffice for the mean time.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just moved to Canberra, my nation's capital. Turns out there is a fair few tracks close by which is very nice. Went out to Mt Stromlo yesterday and had a blast around on the scout. Such fun.
It climbs as well as it descends. I'm not skilled enough to get the most out of the bike but I had heaps of fun.
Here it is with my other favourite thing with wheels.

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Good to hear you're enjoying the 290...

Mines a bit lame at the mo - rear wheel is with CRC for a Warranty claim & I'm waiting on bits to arrive to rebuild an old wheel.

Guess my 2017 Giant Reign will have to suffice for the mean time.

I bought mine from CRC and a bunch of other stuff. I've found them to be pretty good. What's their warranty claim process like?

Also, how do you like the extra travel on your fork? Can't say I'm looking for more on mine yet but curious.

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I bought mine from CRC and a bunch of other stuff. I've found them to be pretty good. What's their warranty claim process like?

Also, how do you like the extra travel on your fork? Can't say I'm looking for more on mine yet but curious.

I got the frame only (290) & built it up with parts from my former Transition Bandit 29.

I also got the wheel from CRC i.e. Easton Heist 24. The build is awesome still running true despite being on an AM HT.

But, the hub seems to be a weak point.

Still going through Warranty process i.e. waiting to hear from CRC what they'll be doing.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts