Here is my MOHO SLIX.

FRAME: MOUNTAIN CYCLE MOHO SLIX SIZE M
REAR SHOCK: DT SWISS HVR 200
FORK: FOX TALAS RLC
HEADSET: CHRIS KING BLACK
STEM: THOMSON ELITE
HANDLE BAR: ANSWER PRO TAPER XC CARBON
BRAKES: HOPE MONO MINI FRONT 180/REAR 160 FLOATING DISCS
DERAILLEURS FRONT/REAR: SHIMANO XTR/XTR (M952)
SHIFTERS: SRAM TRIGGER ROCKET
CRANKSET: SHIMANO XT HOLLOWTECH II
PEDALS: TIME Z CONTROL
CASSETTE: STRONGLIGHT TITANE 11-32
CHAIN: SRAM PC99 HOLLOWPIN
HUBS: DT SWISS 240 (now CHRIS KING ISO BLACK)
RIMS: MAVIC X3.1 (now DT SWISS 4.1)
SPOKES: DT COMPETITION 2.0/1.8 (now SAPIM CX RAY)
WHEEL QR: DT SWISS (now SALSA FLIP-OFFS TITANIUM BLACK)
SEAT POST: THOMSON ELITE (now GRAVITYDROPPER 2 inches)
SEAT: FI'ZI:K NISENE TWIN TECH
SEAT CLAMP: MOUNTAIN CYCLE
FRONT TIRE: SCHWALBE BIG JIM TUBELESS (now FAT ALBERT TUBELESS) + SEALANT STAN NOTUBES
REAR TIRE: SCHWALBE JIMMY TUBELESS (now ALBERT TUBELESS) + SEALANT STAN NOTUBES

·
Maaaaan
4,259 Posts
Hey Tim, is that silver San An the one you told me you modified to have some monster travel at one point in time ?

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ericmopar said:
Hey Tim, is that silver San An the one you told me you modified to have some monster travel at one point in time ?
No, I had both my '98 black and raw finish '00 San Andreas's back before I started working for MC. I messed around with my current red '03 San Andreas, using different mounts, a 9.5" rear shock and an '03 Monster T. I highly recommend against anyone trying this since it rode horribly and is not designed for that type of riding anyway.

·
Maaaaan
4,259 Posts
Do you mean a 9.5" eye to eye shock or rear wheel travel after your hot rodding job?
I'm trying to visualise this "Franken Bike" you created.

Later, Eric.

Just so you know; I have no intention of repeating the experiment.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ericmopar said:
Do you mean a 9.5" eye to eye shock or rear wheel travel after your hot rodding job?
I'm trying to visualise this "Franken Bike" you created.

Later, Eric.

Just so you know; I have no intention of repeating the experiment.
I said "9.5" rear shock", meaning the rear shock measures nine and a half inches. The rear travel also measured about 9.5" based on the shock's three inch stroke and the 3.1 to 1 leverage ratio.

·
Mountain Cycle Member
134 Posts
TWISTED said:
No, I had both my '98 black and raw finish '00 San Andreas's back before I started working for MC. I messed around with my current red '03 San Andreas, using different mounts, a 9.5" rear shock and an '03 Monster T. I highly recommend against anyone trying this since it rode horribly and is not designed for that type of riding anyway.
A bike friend of mine had probably the same setup a few years ago, a Super Monster T with a shock to "match"
He mentionend that it rode silly, and i also rode a few feet on it, you almost had to use a ladder to get on, and the riding is horrible indeed.
He broke his frame during a 10ft drop that same day.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
cHoc Nr1 said:
A bike friend of mine had probably the same setup a few years ago, a Super Monster T with a shock to "match"
He mentionend that it rode silly, and i also rode a few feet on it, you almost had to use a ladder to get on, and the riding is horrible indeed.
He broke his frame during a 10ft drop that same day.
I had to use many different mounts and bits from different frames to get that long rear shock to fit, I doubt anyone else has gone to the trouble and expense. I only had it together like that to see if it was possible, then quickly took it apart. At the same time, I had my 5" Z1 on the front of my 9.5. Now that was a weird set-up.:skep:

The drop isn't what broke that frame. Bolting a 14lb 12" travel fork to a 6lb frame desinged around a 3" to 6" fork is definitely what killed that frame.:nono:

Remember, there was DH ten and fifteen years ago, but it was much different from the DH of today. The San Andreas is not a modern style DH frame.

·
Maaaaan
4,259 Posts
TWISTED said:
I said "9.5" rear shock", meaning the rear shock measures nine and a half inches. The rear travel also measured about 9.5" based on the shock's three inch stroke and the 3.1 to 1 leverage ratio.
I thought you probably meant what you said, but my brain was having trouble imagining a 9.5" shock mounted in a San Andreas.:shocked:

I've got to make me a shim for my San An and try that.

Later, Eric.

·
Mountain Cycle Member
134 Posts
TWISTED said:
I had to use many different mounts and bits from different frames to get that long rear shock to fit, I doubt anyone else has gone to the trouble and expense. I only had it together like that to see if it was possible, then quickly took it apart. At the same time, I had my 5" Z1 on the front of my 9.5. Now that was a weird set-up.:skep:

The drop isn't what broke that frame. Bolting a 14lb 12" travel fork to a 6lb frame desinged around a 3" to 6" fork is definitely what killed that frame.:nono:

Remember, there was DH ten and fifteen years ago, but it was much different from the DH of today. The San Andreas is not a modern style DH frame.
He had that setup for a few months, I think he had that shock and test fitted it and made one set of shockmounts to get it as far up to the frontseattube as possible.
About the broken frame, it sure was due to the frontfork, he knew that too.

1 - 20 of 472 Posts