Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 446 Posts

·
mtbr "member"
719 Posts
Nice Valiant, I have a Sommet

I have a 2002 sommet. Totally tore it down when I bought it and built it up with my own bits. I'll get a pic up as soon as I can.

I seem to have a thing for "defunct" bike. I own 2 Schwinns, a GT and a Mongoose Pro.

REEK

·
Registered
24 Posts
mongoose pathfinder...dont know how good it is...somebody help

i have a mongoose pathfinder, supposed to retail about 600 bucks. i hope its at least middle of the line. if anyone knows how old it is let me know. i am fairly new to the sport, since only mid december and have only gone a few rides. i like to xc and ive tried a little dh, but i took a major fall and would like to find some people to ride with. so i can learn a little more. looking for friends how can help me with techniques and lingo, and if i can find some people to ride with that would be awsome. i know its not really biking season but i love the sport and will continue to ride. thanks
i know the chain has some rust, i went on a nice ride a few days ago and im going to clean it tonight

Attachments

·
mtbr "member"
719 Posts
Here's my Mongoose Pro Sommet....

It's my winter/beater bike. A bit dirty from my ride today. It started out as a frame that got a bunch of used "hand-me-down" parts. But I really like riding it so I always have an excuse to buy new parts for my other bikes so a "not-so-used" part can be passed down to this frame. I actually find myself riding this bike even in the summer.

Now it's got Hayes hydros 8" in front, 6 " in back, X-7/Sram 9.0 drive train, the last version of the XT 8 speed cranks, FSA Extreme headset, White Brothers AT-3 coil 90 mm fork, Onza bar ends, DT/Hugi front wheel and a Bontrager rear wheel with a SRAM cassette, Time ATAC pedals, XTR front derailler, and Fox AVA float rear shock.

I just got a set of new bushings (FREE) from Mongoose and it rides like new again. It's strayed a bit from the beater bike concept I started with.

Best part is, I still get the "my gosh he's on a walmart Mongoose" look from a few people as I pass them.

I also have 2 schwinns that I'll post. Both kept alive with the help of the nice folks over there at Pacific bikes. Great customer service so far.

REEK

Attachments

·
och aye
42 Posts
Short Stack & Syrup?

Here's my Mongoose IBOC Team SX from circa 1995/6
IBOC - International Bicycle of Champions - IHOP!
Full Carbon Tubeset with ~1998 Marz Z2's
Still goes!

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mongoose (but not sure of model)

This is my first mtn bike and still my favorite. Ive had it since '99 and has been GREAT and is still in good shape - other than a slight bend to the frame (I took it to plattykill a couple times *!%^#@) haha- my leg still has a scar from it too.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Teocali Super

Just got it today will post some pics soon.
Great Ride so smooth and no pedal bob.

Pics Soon, Rhys

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here's my 03 Mongoose Wing Comp

I made a few nice additions to the frame, I swapped out the rear shock for a Cane Creek AD5, put a set of Rolfs on to get my roll on with some nice Kenda Karisma rubber, added LX shifters, LX front der, LX crankset, and an XT rear der. The fork is a Rockshox Jett, but will be swapped out later. I put on a Thomson seatpost with a very comfy WTB Rocket saddle. Amazingly she's under 30 LBS!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
376 Posts
Looks like you have the seat rails maxed out. Why didnt you get a race face xy post with the 1 inch offset. It would set you where you need to be instead of on the front of the rails where the seat will end up breaken from too much leverage at the back of the rails.

Seat rails hurt when they snap and jab you in the ass through the seat.
:D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Here is my "Mongoose" got it for $200, used it for riding around campus. I am so impressed with this thing because I have beat the living crap out of it and it is basically fine. (UMCP campus, going down steps all day, 3 foot drops max before it bottoms out but it doesn't mind) It has been getting hand-me-down parts from my rockhopper as I upgrade it. I've changed the fork, saddle, tires, rear rim and freewheel, pedals. :D
Oh, it also weighs 32 lbs now. Its pretty damn good for what it is!

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
my new ride

Frame: FreeDrive All Mountain 4.5/5.5" travel
Fork: Fox TALAS R, 95-130 mm, adjustable travel, rebound and preload.
Rear Shock: Fox RP3 air sprung, with adjustable ProPedal damping, rebound and lockout
Crankset: TruVativ Stylo Team Giga X Pipe, 2 pc integrated spindle w/external bearings
Bottom Bracket: Giga X Pipe
Pedals: Shimano M520 clipless
Front Derailleur: Deore
Rear Derailleur: SRAM X.9
Shifters: SRAM X.9 Impulse trigger shifters 9 speed
Freewheel: SRAM PG-990 11-32T 9 speed
Chain: KMC Z-9900
Rims: DT swiss XR 4,1d 36h
Tires: Schwalbe Fat Albert 2,35"
Front Hub: Hope bulb 36h QR
Rear Hub: Hope bulm 36h
Spokes: DT super comp
Nipples: DT prolock
Front Brake: Avid Juicy 7 hydraulicdisc
Rear Brake: Avid Juicy 7 hydraulic disc
Brake Levers: Avid Juicy 7 hydraulic disc
Handlebar: TruVativ Team Riser w/31.8mm clamp
Stem: TruVativ Team forged stem w/4 bolt cap and 31.8mm clamp
Grips: Mongoose Pro logo grip
Headset: WTB Team w/cartridge bearing
Saddle: SDG I-Flex I-Beam 150 grams
Seat Post: SDG 2014 alloy I-Beam 31.6 mm
Seat Clamp: Alloy Q/R

·
Registered
267 Posts
My Teocai Comp. Its been upgraded with a Pike Team in front, a Swinger 4-way Air in the back, some 2.5 Weir Wolfs, and a few other smaller things. Its made me a realy great bike.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 446 Posts