Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1564 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doug Here, Do my riding in Southern Indiana,I've got a 2002 Chute,2002 Stinky Primo, And a 2003 Dawg
pic of Stinky(Now has 2003 super-t,Evil SRS,Sram)


Gotta resize Chute and Dawg pics
 

Attachments

·
Broken
Joined
·
417 Posts
It's not done yet but...

My 2003 Kona Stuff:
 

Attachments

·
Broken
Joined
·
417 Posts
G-reg said:
The 03 Scrap, with a Z1, Diabalous stem, Avid Mechs/XT levers(the best!), and Kujos.
Looks good.
 

·
the catalan connection
Joined
·
1,266 Posts
Anyone has a ´04 Explosif ?

If so, how do you like it? Got pics?
 

·
the catalan connection
Joined
·
1,266 Posts
Excellent, Sir ! Time for questionnaire....

You can bolt a derailleur back there, don´t you?
How is that the paintjob looks so different from the Kona web´s pic ? Much darker, almost like 03 Explosif. (I´ll try to post it here)
Did you have the chance to weight the frame naked?(I mean the frame)
Is that a 100 mm fork?....no, is not! Or..is it? I´m sure Kona says the frame is for 80mm.

Thanks a lot

Oh, well..the derailleur question is obvious from this pic...You call them "mechs" in UK don´t you?
 

Attachments

·
semi-evolved simian
Joined
·
330 Posts
What&son said:
You can bolt a derailleur back there, don´t you?
How is that the paintjob looks so different from the Kona web´s pic ? Much darker, almost like 03 Explosif. (I´ll try to post it here)
Did you have the chance to weight the frame naked?(I mean the frame)
Is that a 100 mm fork?....no, is not! Or..is it? I´m sure Kona says the frame is for 80mm.

Thanks a lot

Oh, well..the derailleur question is obvious from this pic...You call them "mechs" in UK don´t you?
Yeah there's a derailleur hanger back there on the dropout, also has cable guides for front and rear cables. The Unit frame which is the dedicated singlespeed does not have those.

I too was surprised at how different the colour was to the Kona web site, I like it though :) I didn't get a chance to weigh the frame (well, I did, I just didn't think to do it!).

The fork is an 85mm Marz Marathon SL, you're right that the frame is designed for an 80mm and I didn't want to mess up the angles by putting a 100mm on there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,284 Posts
DMay said:
One pic at a time dammit
Doug, since you are a Kona lover this might be the wrong question to ask you, but you do have quite a collection there so here goes, having a Stinky and a Dawg, do you find that riding the longer travel bike is more fun than the Dawg? I guess Im looking for some insight as to the Dawg's worth, being a 4"er that weighs about 30 pounds or so, how do you like it?
Thanks, Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
drumstix said:
Doug, since you are a Kona lover this might be the wrong question to ask you, but you do have quite a collection there so here goes, having a Stinky and a Dawg, do you find that riding the longer travel bike is more fun than the Dawg? I guess Im looking for some insight as to the Dawg's worth, being a 4"er that weighs about 30 pounds or so, how do you like it?
Thanks, Bob

Dawg's great,But my favorite ride is definately the Stinky,that said,the way my Stinky's set up you can't really trail ride it.I do have much different bike preferences than a majority of riders.I don't care how slow I'm going when I'm just trail riding so extra weight doesn't bother me and there aren't long climbs here in So.Indiana so if I have to get off and push so what? My Dawg's up to about 35 lbs due to coil shock and such,I'm actually using like a big BMX bike right now,that's the skills I wanna work on. I have previously had my Stinky set up with a single crown fork and front derailleur and I thought it did just fine on 20 mile rides,plus it still DH'ed damn good.If I had to go with only one bike that's what I'd do. I AM different than most bikers though,I don't like anything less than a 68 degree head angle,even for XC,and with the stock 4 inch fork my Dawg has about 70.I put a five inch travel fork on it and now I like the stability.(hindsight says a Coiler would have been the hot ticket for me,but it wasn't available when I ordered).

P.S. My Chute has GREAT geometry for me,68 degree head angle with 4 inch fork,It's so stable I can absolutely hammer through the nastiest rocks and roots without fear of endoing,I can ride so much faster on it than with traditional XC geometry.It's what I take for those day long rides in the woods.


Doug
 

·
One life, One boss
Joined
·
107 Posts
My two

This gives me a chance to try and post my first picture, so I hope it works.

I got two kona's a 99 kula, and the new 04 explosif. The picture shows it as a 1 by 9 before I made "the full switch the SS". Right now I got Paul disc Fhub and WORD hubs laced to Mustang tubeless rims with 14 gauge DT swiss spokes. Custom, hand built wheels, light, mean. Been SS on this puppy for 2 months. I run a 2000 Atom 80 which suits the geometry of this bike well. The explosif has a bit more relaxed fit than the kula's, which is why I run the 80. Gear ratio is 33*17. The feel of steel is buttery. I love this bike. I've clocked some two hour plus rides on my computer and run out of trails to ride on diablo. I'm looking to buy a Dawg frame so I can slap my MX pro eta 105 on it and all these parts that are lying around In the spring downieeville and tahoe are a bit more fun on a trail bike.....
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
James here, my first Kona, an 02 Bear Dee-Lux. I have it up on Ebay right now. I was thinking about selling it to make room for an 04 Stinky with alot of upgrades, but I'm having second thoughts. If it doesn't sell, I'll probably just buy the Stinky and only upgrade the fork to a Sherman and save the other upgrades for down the road.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Hi there,
From Burlington, ONT. New to the sport and picked up a 2004 Cindercone. Don't have a pic yet, except what is up on konaworld.com, but will in the future.

No mods yet to her, waiting for my second bad crash to replace any componentry that gets "injured"! LMAO
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,213 Posts
Have you seen one of these before? Ltd. Edition Stinky

Here is my Ltd. Edition 2001.5 Stinky Five. I contacted Joe at Kona to get some literature about my bike and he said none existed. In fact, he said my bike was such a limited model that it would be difficult to prove it was ever produced. He may be right. I've only seen one other one here in the Bay Area.

This is one fun bike to ride. It weighs 39 3/4lbs exactly as you see it! Thinking of getting some Dangerboy plates and other than that it is perfect. :cool:
 

Attachments

·
I wanna talk to Samson!
Joined
·
3,303 Posts
hey gonewild

Gonewild said:
James here, my first Kona, an 02 Bear Dee-Lux. I have it up on Ebay right now. I was thinking about selling it to make room for an 04 Stinky with alot of upgrades, but I'm having second thoughts. If it doesn't sell, I'll probably just buy the Stinky and only upgrade the fork to a Sherman and save the other upgrades for down the road.
konabiker here

hey gonewild i ride a 2004 stinky with sherman the fork is so nice on the bike im also considering a el jefe for the rear but that wont be happening any time sonn because of the shortage of $ but anyway i thought u might want to c mine and here it is on pinkbike

stinky with sherman
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
ACME,
Congrats, I'm glad to hear your bike finally came in. Had to go visit mine at the LBS yesterday and make a payment (hopefully get it out in the next month or so). Let me know how it rides when you get to take it out.
 
1 - 20 of 1564 Posts
Top