Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 40 of 218 Posts

·
Harrumph
1,598 Posts
An 05, SS in the pic, gears other times. Marathon SL, 11degree sweep Salsa Pro-Moto bar, RF Diabalous HS/Dues Crankset, XTR hubs-717s, XTR brakes/XT levers (none of that dual control crap), 2.1 IRC Mibro's, and Sram X9 triggers/derail when it's got gears.

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
Here's mine

It's a 853 98 that I bought new as a frame.

Attachments

·
i heart singletrack
1,553 Posts
Actually no... This is what I raced as a SS cross bike.

top_ring said:
Whoa... that`s a wild looking setup you`ve got there. Is that a 29er front wheel with a 700c fork? Tell me you didn`t use this as a SS cross bike?
I ran the Explosif in several configurations: 29/26 rigid and 26/26 hardtail with several different forks. My favorite setup was the XVert Super (which ironically is now on the Unit 2-9) reduced to 85mm of travel (for reduced ride height/steeper headtube angle).

Attached is a pic of me racing my '06 Jake the Snake in the singlespeed class at a recent race here in Nebraska.

Cheers,
MG

Attachments

·
Registered
319 Posts
99 model

Here's my ex ... well it's still in the garage, been rebuilt for a friend, but this is what it looked like before I went FS (El Salty)

So 99 model, Reynolds 853, 18", 517 on sram 9.0sl hubs, XT k7, sram 9.0sl RD and 9.0 shifters
XT FD, XT cranks with Stronglight rings, avid 3.0 vb ('97) sram 9.0 brake levers, Marz Z2 light ...

Attachments

·
the catalan connection
1,266 Posts
Will ever be a sticky Exposif thread?

There was already a Explosif thread some time ago, now another...
Here is mine. A 03 custom build. Some upgrades since my last post: Fork, some ti bolts, ritchey wcs handlebar..
I will never get used to that clumsy disc mount weld !
Now it´s around 10.7kg, 23.5lbs

Attachments

·
i heart singletrack
1,553 Posts
bring on the ark!

djcrb9 said:
Heh, thanks... you know me all too well.
BTW, we're on our 23rd straight day of rain here.
ouch!!! no wonder you've got the fenders on. we're having a super january so far here. no snow on the ground at all...

you should see how i've got the unit 2-9 built up now. it's now a 1x8 with my sc32 on the front. the geometry is awesome with that fork! it's one of the most maneuverable 29ers i've ever ridden. the only others that compare (among the 29ers i've ridden) are mw's fully-rigid soulcrafts. i'll get pics posted here and on my blog soon.

cheers,
mg

Attachments

·
Art is Resistance
10,375 Posts
mgersib said:
ouch!!! no wonder you've got the fenders on. we're having a super january so far here. no snow on the ground at all...

you should see how i've got the unit 2-9 built up now. it's now a 1x8 with my sc32 on the front. the geometry is awesome with that fork! it's one of the most maneuverable 29ers i've ever ridden. the only others that compare (among the 29ers i've ridden) are mw's fully-rigid soulcrafts. i'll get pics posted here and on my blog soon.

cheers,
mg
Nice!

Here's mine, but i have some Industry Nine wheels right now, with gold spokes. TACKY!
I'll get a photo with the new wheels here soon. They're great wheels, too. Stiff as hell.

·
Occidental Tourist
3,563 Posts
djcrb9 said:
Nice!

Here's mine, but i have some Industry Nine wheels right now, with gold spokes. TACKY!
I'll get a photo with the new wheels here soon. They're great wheels, too. Stiff as hell.
Hey, that's not an explosif - it's a schweet unit! i just picked one up. Just waiting for the parts to roll in. I would like to see a pic of the elusive I9 29er wheels...

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
1988 Explosif

Check this out. The mother of all your Explosif babies.

1988 Explosif, first one imported into Europe. All original apart from new LX hubs and Syncros Shotgun straight bar.

And she rides well!

If anyone has a 1996 or 1997 Hot, let me know!!

Check out my Kona collection here

·
Registered
48 Posts
1988 Explosif

1988 Explosif, the mother to all your Explosif babies.

Was one iof the first Konas imported into Europe. All original apart from LX hubs and Syncros Shotgun bar.

If anyone has a 1996 or 1997 Hot - let me know!

Check out my othe Konas here

·
i heart singletrack
1,553 Posts
it's not really a weight thing...

carnage said:
i couldnt help but notice that about half of the explosifs are rigid, do you guys just not want the extra weight? how much do the frames way?
... it's more of the fact that the explosif rides really well with a rigid fork. my 19" frame was right at 5lbs -- the dropouts add some weight to the overall package, but they're a good design, and the frame rides the way I want a steel frame to ride. springy yet stiff, with the right amount of give to make it feel and corner just right.

here's a pic of my '05 explosif set up in 26/26 config. with a x-vert super on the front (reduced to 85mm travel for this application). the pics i posted before were of the bike in 29/26, fully-rigid mode.

cheers,
mg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
mgersib said:
... it's more of the fact that the explosif rides really well with a rigid fork. my 19" frame was right at 5lbs -- the dropouts add some weight to the overall package, but they're a good design, and the frame rides the way I want a steel frame to ride. springy yet stiff, with the right amount of give to make it feel and corner just right.

here's a pic of my '05 explosif set up in 26/26 config. with a x-vert super on the front (reduced to 85mm travel for this application). the pics i posted before were of the bike in 29/26, fully-rigid mode.

cheers,
mg
Nice racin there, buddy. Why not bust out the 96er for SS race duty?

·
Art is Resistance
10,375 Posts
adamgent1 said:

Was one iof the first Konas imported into Europe. All original apart from LX hubs and Syncros Shotgun bar.

WOW! That's an awesome bike. I nabbed an old 1989 Fire Mountian off Ebay to show off, but that's way cooler. Nice, thanks for sharing!

·
MT rider
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
adamgent1 said:

Checked out your site - very nice Kona's! :)

That HOT's awesome!

If only I can find old steel Kona's for sale!! :(

21 - 40 of 218 Posts