Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

201 - 218 of 218 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts

·
Extra Crispy
526 Posts
Guys - I got my green one used back in '09 and the guy told me it was an '07 frame.

I just put some Hayes Stroker Trail disc brakes on it, and I'm not sure what to use to fill the rim brake boss holes. I took the studs out (luckily the guy used some anti-seize when he put it together) and now there's some big threaded holes left there. Is there something Kona makes to fill them or am I on my own? Same goes for my Fox Float 80RL fork...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hope you don't mind but got a question for you. I'm looking at a 2006 explosif and the owner says fit him great he is 5-9 and bike is a 14.5. I 5-10 short legged. Do the seem larger? I ride a M in specialized and GT. Thanks in advanced.

Jon

·
Registered
543 Posts
Hope you don't mind but got a question for you. I'm looking at a 2006 explosif and the owner says fit him great he is 5-9 and bike is a 14.5. I 5-10 short legged. Do the seem larger? I ride a M in specialized and GT. Thanks in advanced.
Jon
You can rely on it that the bike in question is not a 14.5 the way Kona size bikes. A Kona size 14 (there is no such thing as a 14.5) is pretty much a child's size or small female size, around 5-3.

Kona size is taken from the centre of the bb shell to the top of the seat tube. Some people thing it is to the top of the top tube - if that was the case here, it would imply that the bike is a size 17. If so, the bike could be ok for you, but if anything a fraction small. However I'm not sure they made Explosifs in size 17 in 2006, so I would advise that you get the owner to measure it the Kona way and proceed from there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
First post, yet another green machine.

Rediscovering riding after a couple years out. Crashed over the weekend (we get what we deserve) and now i'm lame. Bored. Here's my explosif as she exists today.

I doubt i'll start riding trails again. She's thirty pounds. I'd like to drop some weight. The wheels alone are about twelve pounds. Saw it mentioned somewhere here that a 29" wheel can fit out back with the drops extended. Did some math. I think i'm gonna try to add some cross type wheels, say 700x35 or 40c and a surly disc trucker fork. Should lighten the load a bit. =]

Some b!tchin' bikes in this thread! Thanks, all.

·
Brake. Fix. Repeat.
76 Posts
Anyone have a 2001 Explosif scandium frame they would be willing to sell? Mine was stolen.

I'd really like to replace it! 17" or 18" frame! Thanks!

·
Registered
510 Posts
2011 Explosif rigid SS

Hi there,

sorry to dig out that old thread, just found it yesterday. Here's my 2011 single speed rigid Explosif:

Explosif0.JPG

Explosif3.JPG

Explosif2.JPG

Explosif1.JPG

Hans Dampf 2.35 on Mavic Crossrides
Deore Brakes
Kona Jump Fork (from a 2003 Scab)
FSA The Pig DH headset
Forza Telepost
Brave steel handlebar
RooX Commander DH Stem
Titec El Norte Saddle
Kona Flats
FSA Comet Cranks
Kona Bashguard
32 x 18 gearing

will soon move over to:
RooX Torquebar
Race Face Evolve DH crankset
Conti Diesel 2.5 for winter riding

·
Registered
510 Posts
PS: has anyone fitted a 130mm fork on their 2011 or older Explosifs? If so, what are your experiences? Thanks in advance for your replies!

·
Dream it, Do it.
1,740 Posts
Rebuilt my 1995 Explosif this past weekend

I haven't really ridden my Explosif since 2001, but decided as a summer project to rebuild her with all of my favorite parts collected through the years. IMG_0121.JPG

Got a 1998 Marzocchi Z2 Atom Bomb in great condition off of eBay for $100
IMG_0122.JPG

Had a pair of SD-Ultimate v-brake levers that were sitting around
IMG_0123.JPG

Used the method of threading a rear derailleur barrel adjuster into the Explosif's cantilever cable guide to serve as a cable housing stop for the rear v-brake.
IMG_0129.JPG

Had a 10-speed XTR rear derailleur that came off of a demo bike
IMG_0125.JPG

1987 XT pedals
IMG_0126.JPG

Amazingly, an 8-speed XT front derailleur shifted by a 10-speed SLX shifter is working decently well. I was having difficulty finding a modern front derailleur with a 28.6 clamp diameter
IMG_0128.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
242 Posts
I just picked up an older Explosif, the previous owner said it is a 2002 But it has sliding dropouts with a disc mount, so makes me think its newer than that. Anyways, my question to anyone riding one of the mid 2000s one, what kind of tire clearance can I expect running 27.5s?

201 - 218 of 218 Posts