Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 218 Posts

·
MT rider
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I'm getting an Explosif soon, thought about starting a new thread with very nice Explosif bikes.

Anybody interested in posting pix?

Thx

·
Registered
213 Posts
'96

My '96 Explosif.
Chainstay cracked a couple of years ago so had it repaired and repainted white.
The specs changed now as I'm using it as my winter/commuter bike but I still love it.

I have to admit that it hardly compares to my old Rocky Mountain Blizzard (stolen) and my new RM Vertex though.

Fluff

Attachments

·
MT rider
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fluffbomb said:
My '96 Explosif.
Chainstay cracked a couple of years ago so had it repaired and repainted white.
The specs changed now as I'm using it as my winter/commuter bike but I still love it.

I have to admit that it hardly compares to my old Rocky Mountain Blizzard (stolen) and my new RM Vertex though.

Fluff
Ya prefer the RMs then, right? Which tubing was it made from in those years? If I remember correctly, the 97 was made from Colombus tubing, not sure about the 96 though. Nice bike btw. Thx for the pic.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The '96 was Columbus Max OR tubing for the main tubes. Not sure what the back end was.

Maybe a newer Kona would be better but the Explosif back end is less forgiving than both my Blizzard or Vertex. I also find the shorter top tube on the RMs better for more technical trails.

Don't intend giving up my Explosif for a while.

Fluff

·
MT rider
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fluffbomb said:
The '96 was Columbus Max OR tubing for the main tubes. Not sure what the back end was.

Maybe a newer Kona would be better but the Explosif back end is less forgiving than both my Blizzard or Vertex. I also find the shorter top tube on the RMs better for more technical trails.
I agree re the RM geometry. How's the Explosif's build quality compared to the Blizzard? Atm I'm browsing the net re. any issues with the sliding dropouts found on the latest Explosif's / Unit's - got any experience with those? Thx for the previous reply.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The Blizzard was a bit nicer finished than the Explosif from what I recall (it was stolen 5 years ago). The Explosif's welding is pretty compotent and I've never had a problem with the dropouts, BB shell, head tube or the seat tube (no slipping posts). Still it is almost 10 years old so its probably wrong to compare it to a new frame.

Not being into singlespeed I've not tried any of the sliding drop out frames. I have seen threads on the UK forum of Singletrackworld.co.uk so could be worth asking on there as well.

I'm sure the Explosif will be a good addition to your stable of Rockies!

Cheers,

Fluff

·
MT rider
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fluffbomb said:
The Blizzard was a bit nicer finished than the Explosif from what I recall (it was stolen 5 years ago). The Explosif's welding is pretty compotent and I've never had a problem with the dropouts, BB shell, head tube or the seat tube (no slipping posts). Still it is almost 10 years old so its probably wrong to compare it to a new frame.

Not being into singlespeed I've not tried any of the sliding drop out frames. I have seen threads on the UK forum of Singletrackworld.co.uk so could be worth asking on there as well.

I'm sure the Explosif will be a good addition to your stable of Rockies!

Cheers,

Fluff
Thx the reply, Fluff. I'm not planning to ride the Explosif in SS neither. Gonna get the Kona since I have a lot of parts lying around (most of them are mid-to-high-end stuff) and a basic n' heavy Gary Fisher Mamba frame fitted with LX stuff. Therefore I'll use most of the stuff I have lying around and shift the best parts from the GF onto the Kona and reverse the GF almost to its original state.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Rigid fork

Trying to get a rigid disc fork sorted out for my Explosif at the moment. Got suspension forks on my other bikes and fancy the extra challenge of riding rigid.

Fluff

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Here`s mine...

1997 MAX OR Columbus tubing, powder coated w/ new decals. I rode it for a year. A great riding frame but alas... it has been sold because it was too small for me. It was an 18", I am better suited to a 19". Now I ride (3) Konas in stead of four. 97 Kilauea / 97 King Kahuna and a 05 Kula Primo. I love them all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My '04 Explosif:

I'm very happy with how it rides (it's my first steel frame since my first ever MTB). I'm running a fork with adjustable travel but tend to keep it with 95-100mm travel most of the time.

I'm thinking about treating it to some TLC next summer - remove the canti bosses, fit some crud catcher bosses on the downtube and a respray. The big Q is: what colour should I go for???

·
MT rider
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
allygmitchell said:
I'm very happy with how it rides (it's my first steel frame since my first ever MTB). I'm running a fork with adjustable travel but tend to keep it with 95-100mm travel most of the time.

I'm thinking about treating it to some TLC next summer - remove the canti bosses, fit some crud catcher bosses on the downtube and a respray. The big Q is: what colour should I go for???
The original blue's cool, i would think.... hmmmm white maybe. If I were u, i'd opt for powder-coating. What about the decals?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mervyn_b said:
The original blue's cool, i would think.... hmmmm white maybe. If I were u, i'd opt for powder-coating. What about the decals?
Yeah, I quite like my current colour although it looks a bit flat in some lights (spot the bike pimp ;) ). I was toying with the idea of powder/baby blue too... Also, is powder coating harder wearing than the original finish? I haven't found the original paintjob to be that hardwearing - I take care of my bikes yet it's still pretty shabby after 18 months use. And yeah, I ain't sure where to get decals from - can anyone help?

·
MT rider
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
allygmitchell said:
Yeah, I quite like my current colour although it looks a bit flat in some lights (spot the bike pimp ;) ). I was toying with the idea of powder/baby blue too... Also, is powder coating harder wearing than the original finish? I haven't found the original paintjob to be that hardwearing - I take care of my bikes yet it's still pretty shabby after 18 months use. And yeah, I ain't sure where to get decals from - can anyone help?
I have 2 Rocky Mountains (the Blizzard & the Hammer) - both of them are powder-coated. I strongly think it's much more durable - Haven't found a single scratch or stone-chip. I take great care of all my bikes. It looks to me that Kona's paintjob isn't very durable - looks like they get scratched quite easily. Try to contact your local Kona dealer about the decals - or you can design your own! :cool: I think that would be rather cool - a completely unique Kona Explosif!! :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Cheers! I'll ask around about decals before I go ahead with the respray as I really want original decals for that 'proper' look.

Forgot to add in my earlier posts that I've had no issues with the sliding dropouts - they're not the prettiest but they do the job very well IMO. I've bent the rear mech hanger/dropout in a crash but just bent it back into shape and have ridden it with no problems since!

I am having problems with a slipping seatpost though - I'm using an old FSA post (as in the pic) but am going to measure the seat tube diameter just to confirm the size. Although I'm sure it is 27.2...

·
MT rider
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thx for the info...

allygmitchell said:
Cheers! I'll ask around about decals before I go ahead with the respray as I really want original decals for that 'proper' look.

Forgot to add in my earlier posts that I've had no issues with the sliding dropouts - they're not the prettiest but they do the job very well IMO. I've bent the rear mech hanger/dropout in a crash but just bent it back into shape and have ridden it with no problems since!

I am having problems with a slipping seatpost though - I'm using an old FSA post (as in the pic) but am going to measure the seat tube diameter just to confirm the size. Although I'm sure it is 27.2...
Thx for the info. Agree re. the "proper" look. I'd probably do the same. Will be getting mine next month most probably. Looking forward for it! :D I've already got a Thomson s/p. Hoping I won't have slippage issues though :(

Thx anyway...

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Whoa... that`s a wild looking setup you`ve got there. Is that a 29er front wheel with a 700c fork? Tell me you didn`t use this as a SS cross bike?

1 - 20 of 218 Posts