Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

61 - 80 of 778 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Anyone considering options between a 27.5 or 29er - I competed in a UK Gravity enduro even in Wales the weekend before this. The bikes need to be fast downhill in all situations - including plenty of tight twisty stuff, some timed sections have a reasonable amount of pedaling involved also, and then you have an approx 40 minute climb back to the top of the hill for the next timed section down. A great all round test of a bike and rider. The top 3 riders in the Elite class were all on 29ers. Says a lot more to me than what the magazines and bike companies are wanting us all to believe.
Hey guys, I have just built up my third Hammerhead/Switchback bike, this one being the 27.5 version, this is by far the most fun and confidence inspiring bike, I thought the 29r was awesome but the 650b just feels more balanced and in control. And I am over 6 foot three, 200++ pounds. If I still had my 29r Thumper, it would not be getting any use, but that is just personal preference too I guess. Will post some pics soon.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Switchback alloy.jpg

Here is a picture of my third build, in the hills above Christchurch, New Zealand. This one is an alloy 650B, with Custom graphics thanks to Kashi from Bike Otago. This bike gives me the biggest smiles yet. I got the alloy because was impatient for the Carbon one to arrive (sold my old thumper too early), but now that the carbon has arrived I am struggling to build it up, this one is just too fun to ride.

It is a large frame, with Rockshock Pike dual position fork, Carbon rims (Light Bicycle Extra Wide) laced to Hope Hubs, Crank Bros Dropper, Thomson Bar, Zee Brakes and Derailleur, everything else SLX. I am 6 foot three and large feels just right (long legs short body).

Climbs like a mountain goat, floats over the roughest terrain, turns like it is on rails and pops off jumps to make you feel like you can actually ride a bike.

My only complaint so far is that you cannot fit a bottle in the frame, with the piggyback shock.

·
Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
2,867 Posts
Anyone got a Fox Float CTD Kashima 7.875" x 2.25" they might wanna sell?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Very nice! I might have to come down there to do some back to back 27.5 / 29 testing with you. Should be able to do a thorough job with 3 or 4 weeks there. November sounds a good month to come - just as our winter arrives ;o)

Still loving the 29er and I can't see myself ever changing to smaller wheels although I take your word for it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
@ twonin9r: Have you had any issues with your Pro2 Flows? Were yours Hope factory built? Everyone I know who's bought any Hope / ZTR Hoops in the last 6 months have been having issues with spokes loosening and rims buckling as a consequence. I've heard two bike shop mechanics say pretty much all the wheels they've sold in the last few months have come back with loose spokes. I've had my older Flows for over 18 months including a couple of trips to the alps on a hardtail and I've never trued them or touched a spoke. A few dents but still 100% true. Something's changed at the Hope factory - maybe the guy who builds them?

·
Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
2,867 Posts
If anyone in the Mid-Atlantic USA (PA,MD,DE,NJ) would like to meet to try a Unveil7 and be more than willing to allow demos of my size large. Even better if they were current riders of the Unveil9 as I'd love to try the big wheel version of my mid-wheel bike.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
@ twonin9r: Have you had any issues with your Pro2 Flows? Were yours Hope factory built? Everyone I know who's bought any Hope / ZTR Hoops in the last 6 months have been having issues with spokes loosening and rims buckling as a consequence. I've heard two bike shop mechanics say pretty much all the wheels they've sold in the last few months have come back with loose spokes. I've had my older Flows for over 18 months including a couple of trips to the alps on a hardtail and I've never trued them or touched a spoke. A few dents but still 100% true. Something's changed at the Hope factory - maybe the guy who builds them?
I've only had them out on 2 rides buy so far no issues. I will definitely keep an eye on this. I'm pretty sure they were hope built but will find out. My lbs manager is my best friend so basically I just called him and said I have x amount of money and want y characteristics. He called back with this combo and I gave the nod.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,520 Posts
Glad to see all this banter..... My bike should be done pretty quickly here as the last parts are either being constructed or in the mail. And of course, now Scott puts up about the Kill Devil wheels at a freaking stellar (unheard of) price!! WTH man are you trying to get me divorced or something?!?!?! LOL

Bike is coming together nicely and should be right under $1900 once I get final price on the wheels from my builder. Once I start assembling I will take some pics, take a look at my build thread for better pics as of now, and since I will actually have a seatpost I can mount it on the stand properly for better stuff.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Mine is going in for paint in a day or two. I was sent a couple dofferent combinations of unveil decals in different colors and though I wanted to do olive green with black, the black decals didn't end up making it through U.S. postal torture unscathed. I'll post pics when done

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,520 Posts
^^^ Sweet... what colors you painting it?
I am looking at coming up with some graphics ideas (when I actually have some free time) and see if my friends that own a print shop can do them for me. Nothing major yet but have some ideas in the head.

Bike is at the shop getting the bottom cup and crown race mounted and a few things will be coming from the brown truck fairy today. Bike will be done from the LBS tonight so will grab on my way home and then take some pics out in the sun!

@TwoNin9r - check out the new offerings from Samyang/Vivitar/Rokinon in the 8mm, 12mm, and 16mm range. Been seeing some great results with them from the forums I read/frequent so I am thinking I may ask the wife for the 12mm for my EOS-M for Xmas!

[saved for pics]

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
^^^ Sweet... what colors you painting it?
I am looking at coming up with some graphics ideas (when I actually have some free time) and see if my friends that own a print shop can do them for me. Nothing major yet but have some ideas in the head.

Bike is at the shop getting the bottom cup and crown race mounted and a few things will be coming from the brown truck fairy today. Bike will be done from the LBS tonight so will grab on my way home and then take some pics out in the sun!

@TwoNin9r - check out the new offerings from Samyang/Vivitar/Rokinon in the 8mm, 12mm, and 16mm range. Been seeing some great results with them from the forums I read/frequent so I am thinking I may ask the wife for the 12mm for my EOS-M for Xmas!

[saved for pics]
Nice! Thank you. It's getting a paint match to my wrangle. It's called commando green.

Should match my jeep perfectly considering all the red and black accessories and wheels

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
As it turns out, I am! Just have to go minimal on the badges. Gonna e-mail you about the head tube badge tomorrow.

Edit: I meant minimal on the decals. Gonna try to salvage the black ones first

·
The Fastest of Bananas
1,792 Posts
Huh... should be interesting.... Never thought about painting mine the stock color of my LC (8B4 Midnight Blue Metallic). Could be an interesting color for it but then would lose the name Blackheart!
Thats the color of my truck, its nice!

61 - 80 of 778 Posts