Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
121 - 140 of 236 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Little bit of a thread update. Had my Gem since august. Wish I'd bought one earlier. Love it. 1st picture is when i got it. Had 24" double track rims and 2.7 high roller tyres. Bottom pic is as it is now. 26" s-type rims with 2.5 minions.
PS:sorry about the quality of the pics, camera phones!

Attachments

·
Clydesdale Warrior
155 Posts
One bike does all!

For this clydesdale, my 2004 Gemini 900 has turned out to be a do anything bike. From the extreme of completing the 67km Test of Metal XC endurance race on it the past two years (www.testofmetal.com) to the other extreme of the Whistler Bike Park, and everything in-between. The Gemini has proven itself to be the only bike I need.

Trail Bike Configuration
- Frame travel set to 170mm (never move it from 170, with pro-pedal it is not necessary)
- Sherman Breakout set to 130mm with X-Firm Springs
- 110mm Cannondale Stem
- Hussfelt Cranks with 42t big ring
- Shimano 545 Clipless Platform Pedals
- Panaracer FireXC Pro 2.1 (kevlar bead)
- Everything Else Stock

Freeride/Downhill Bike Configuration
- Frame travel set to 170mm
- Sherman Breakout set to 170mm with X-Firm Springs
- 60mm Answer ATAC Stem
- Hussfelt Cranks with Bash Ring
- Cheep VP Platform Pedals
- Kenda Nevegal 2.5 DH (Wire Bead, 2 Ply)
- Everything Else Stock

There is minimal effort to switch between the configurations (other than getting the Nevegals on and off!). I am usually riding it in some combination between these two, switching to the XC tires only for extremely long trail rides, and use the platform pedals only when I am riding stuff I know I am going to bail on.

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
03 Gemini 900 ski lift action...

Not a great picture, but had a fantastic time in Morzine this year on my 03 Gemini 900

Only major parts replaced are the wheels (old un's died): Hope Bulbs and EX729 rims.
Std stem replaced for a 1.5 RaceFace Diabolus DH 70mm

Hopefully a carbon lefty max 140mm going on it soon...

·
Registered
293 Posts
Wanted to tell you about my latest addition on my GeminiDH. Through the wonders of ebay I managed to aquire a Push'd Fox Vanilla RC shock in the right size for not a lot of cash. I guess because its the Van and not a DHX. Anyway. Didnt like the way the rear felt with the platform of the swinger and wanted something a bit simpler. This turned up and my god its plush! Just feels like a different bike. Had to go up a rating on the spring to suit, but just the right size came on the shock. Ace. Can't get enough of it. I've stopped riding pretty much most winters previously. Not this year ;) I'll get some decent pics soon.

·
Registered
84 Posts
My baby

I've been a long fan of Cannondale, they can't do wrong in my book, so it was with joy that I got the opportunity to own the bike I've longed for - Gemini. My brother 'phoned me asking how much his Gemini frame would be worth on ebay - I said name his price 'cause I wanted it. The Lefty and front wheel came from Portugal and everything else was part ebay and Chain Reaction Cycles. I love this bike to bits. A friend of mine who's into his Scott and Trek hardtails had a ride and was blown away by it.

Specs are:

2004 Team replica frame

Swinger 4-way shock

Lefty 130 Max TPC+ with tubeless rim and Maxxis Minion Super Tacky tyre

XT rear hub with 321 rim with Maxxis Minion Maxxpro tyre

Hope Mono front and Mini Mono rear single pots with Goodridge hoses

Short-cage XT mech with XT cassette and LX chain

Truvativ Hussfelt 2-ring cranks with e.thirteen bashguard and Crank Bros Mallets

Race Face Diablus seat post and Selle Italia saddle

Cannodale OS stem with FSA XC280 OS bars and ODI Ruffion grips

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

·
COOL BUZZ & TASTY S-TRACK
1,110 Posts
Two

I had a bought new large 05 900 and since sold it. The large was great for trail riding. I like the Gemini for the fact that it's light enough you can build it up for a trail bike (lower the suspension) or install some beefy components and use it for FR or DH.

I since bought a used medium 05 2000 on eBay for $684. shipped:thumbsup: , for freeriding. It was pretty much stock other than new Nokian Gazzaloddi Jr. 2.6 tires and the new Speedplay Drillium pedals.

My additions since I bought it are, Azonic Outlaws wheels, Titec Berserkr saddle, Thompson post, FSA FR stem, ODI lock on grips. Thank you eBay. I picked up a spare urban camo Breakout fork 150mm with TPC+ I just need to change fork lowers to urban camo lowers (I think will look good with the raw frame) and I'm waiting on a rebound rod in the Sherman to change it over to a TPC+ and dump the SPV.

After selling off some old stuff I didn't need (not done selling stuff yet) and buying all the stuff I added to this bike, I spent $105. on top of the $684. shipped I paid for the bike.

I beleive I have a nice FR bike that is lighter (38.5 lb.), can take the same beating as heavier FR bikes and be easier to pedal uphill if needed.

Attachments

·
COOL BUZZ & TASTY S-TRACK
1,110 Posts
AnthonyWise said:
here is mine.
stock for now.
but not for long.

Nice bike what year, is that a left over? What upgrades are you planning?

One of the first things I would recommed is do the ghetto tubelss conversion. I used the stans on my stock Maxis tires and it worked well. since then I used the ghetto tubeless and it's the easiest I have done. If you are not familiar the ghetto look here.

http://www.nsmb.com/gear/tubeless_12_04.php

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
AnthonyWise said:
i have a transition 1.5 oversise stem on the way along with some race face 31.8 riser bars.
and iam debating weather or not i should stay with the single or get the double.
iam really like the triple clamp manitou travis
Stay with the single unless you're racing DH. Gemini's geometry is steep enough to manuver tight places with a single crown. Hell even Marzocchi has a 66 with 1.5 tube.

121 - 140 of 236 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.