Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What to do with all the "post your X-29er picture" threads

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
nothing to see here
Joined
·
3,279 Posts
I say nay. I like being able to single out the single speeds 29ers etc. Also the niche brand threads and whatnot are cool too.

edit to add...It's also a useful tool for someone looking for dually, hardtail, single speed options etc to be able to do a search and then browse the thread.
 

·
29ering
Joined
·
155 Posts
Another option in the poll "Cave in to the whiners in the Bikesdirect thread." This wasn't an issue until I started that thread. I say keep mtbr neutral. If you start taking sides then it isn't a forum any more.
 

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
Joined
·
16,341 Posts
FreeGrazing said:
Another option in the poll "Cave in to the whiners in the Bikesdirect thread." This wasn't an issue until I started that thread. I say keep mtbr neutral. If you start taking sides then it isn't a forum any more.
What's not neutral about what Rockcrusher is proposing?

--sParty
 

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
Joined
·
16,341 Posts
rockcrusher said:
So far we are trending Potato. Looking good for the spuds!

If we are to allow independent post your "X-brand" bike photo threads then you all have to agree to stay out of the ones you don't like.
Looks like it doesn't matter anymore. Thankfully, the retailer threads have closed. Hopefully we can stick to bikes and not retailers now.

I'm still leaning toward potato... guess I'd better vote... tho I usually wait to vote 'til the last minute.

--sParty
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
11,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have closed all the current main page retailer threads until I hear from the men behind the curtain. If we reopen them I will clean them up to be photo threads, deleting all the discussion regarding the brand since specialized or blacksheep or single speed or rigid bike photo threads rarely have discussion regarding the merit of the brands/bike types within their photo threads.
 

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
Joined
·
16,341 Posts
highdelll said:
you should change your quote to "Jaybo... quit bltching and move to Idaho"
Anywhere out of the PNW would be fine with me, but that's a quote from riverrat so I can't change it.

I still want to see a "post photos of your girlfriend astride a 29er" thread. This should have been in the poll.

It's all about the bike. Er... right?

--sParty
 

·
Rhino
Joined
·
567 Posts
My 2 cents. I like photo threads. What I don't like about photo threads is when people respond, ask questions, quote the post and duplicate the pictures (I'm sure I'm guilty here as well).

I wish dedicated photo threads were only photos and some description form the original poster. No banter, no questions, no discussions. Take the questions to PM or a new thread. Just pictures, like a bike coffee table book. Sometimes I just want to scroll through and look at a bunch of bike pictures.

...potato
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
rockcrusher said:
So far we are trending Potato. Looking good for the spuds!

If we are to allow independent post your "X-brand" bike photo threads then you all have to agree to stay out of the ones you don't like.



Thank you!
Spammers and trolls will find a way around any new rules or regulations. There are more spammers than we know on these boards. Some are just better at it than the "alleged" BD plants. :skep:

Free-er is better, so Potato.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,083 Posts
You seem mightly slow, seriously, so let me try to explain the difference again............

Brand = Niner, Turner, SpecialED, Giant, Rocky Mtn, Nicolai, Banshee, Norco - one brand name, but they might offer several different styles of bikes.

Retailer = Performance, REI, Speedgoat, Spining Lizard, Red Barn, Bikes Direct - they sell multiple brands, depending on your needs and likes.

Now get it straight, I absolutely have NO love for Niner, however they ARE a manufacturer, hence having a thread about the brand is fine, Having a thread about Spinning Lizard, BD, ro Speedgoat bikes is not.

FreeGrazing said:
I think this is more about advertising? I don't see Niner threads being closed...but you wouldn't want to hurt the sponsor I guess. Not like this site gets that much real traffic to be closing good threads :p
Oh and toss any retailer oriented threads into the trash, if people want to have Motobecane, Windsor or any other such "brand" thread, then that's OK with me. Oh and do it exactly like Urbanseeds suggests, pics only, save the discussions for another thread or PMs etc.
 

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
Joined
·
16,341 Posts
LyNx said:
You seem mightly slow, seriously, so let me try to explain the difference again............Brand = Niner, Turner, SpecialED, Giant, Rocky Mtn, Nicolai, Banshee, Norco - one brand name, but they might offer several different styles of bikes.
Retailer - Performance, REI, Speedgoat, Spining Lizard, Red Barn, Bikes Direct - they sell multiple brands, depending on your needs and likes.

Now get it straight, I absolutely have NO love for Niner, however they ARE a manufacturer, hence having a thread about the brand is fine, Having a thread about Spinning Lizard, BD, ro Speedgoat bikes is not.
I submit that the answer is either
1) FreeGrazing is, as you surmise, mighty slow
2) FreeGrazing is a BikesDirect employee

If he replies that he does not work for BikesDirect, we'll have our answer.

--sParty
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,435 Posts
LyNx said:
You seem mightly slow, seriously, so let me try to explain the difference again............Brand = Niner, Turner, SpecialED, Giant, Rocky Mtn, Nicolai, Banshee, Norco - one brand name, but they might offer several different styles of bikes.
Retailer - Performance, REI, Speedgoat, Spining Lizard, Red Barn, Bikes Direct - they sell multiple brands, depending on your needs and likes.

Now get it straight, I absolutely have NO love for Niner, however they ARE a manufacturer, hence having a thread about the brand is fine, Having a thread about Spinning Lizard, BD, ro Speedgoat bikes is not.
Could not agree more. Thank you! :thumbsup:
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
11,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So far we have (in no particular order):

picture threads should be filled with pictures

discussion threads should be filled with discussions

manufacturer picture threads are ok as long as they are filled with potato, i mean pictures.

distributor threads are not ok as they are akin to an ad for all the brands that a distributor carries.

and of course: potato!
 

·
.......
Joined
·
3,707 Posts
I'm for combining pic threads into the main 29er thread. We've got the SS forum for those interested in SS's.

Sparticus said:
I submit that the answer is either
1) FreeGrazing is, as you surmise, mighty slow
2) FreeGrazing is a BikesDirect employee

If he replies that he does not work for BikesDirect, we'll have our answer.

--sParty
Seems to be redundant answers...
 
1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top