Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been watching for a while and building my SS Yukon. I love seeing all the impressive weight loss in the " weigh in" thread, but I have not found anything about what you guys are doing to lose all this weight.

I'm 6'2" and 270lbs, I would like to be 210 by Jan 2012. I need some ideas on how I can reach this goal......

.......Help me be able to do my Hasslehoff impression when I go to Kona......Without me knocking myself out with my MO-OBS ( man boobs )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,293 Posts
here is what I do...

Eat: RAW foods. Raw fruits, nuts, veggies, sprouted grains, etc. You cannot eat too much raw foods. I shoot for 80% raw...that means I can eat cooked meals 4 times a week out of the total 21 meals. Miso Soup is nice too. Raw can be tough to do in the winter, as we need warming foods to get us thru

Avoid: anything with High Fructose Corn Syrup, refined sugar, soda, dairy, limited meat exposure. Avoid anything that didn't exist 100 years ago.

Typical day for me:
1. Bowl of fruit for breakfast (dozen blackberries, dozen raspberries, some pinapple)
2. Smoothie for lunch (banana, handfull of raw nuts, some supplement powder, a salad's worth of kale and or spinach, spoon of yogurt, couple strawberries and a touch of stevia)
3. Snack (apple, chips/hummus
4. Sensible dinner (big salad or 1 small portion of either fish or bird, cooked vegetables). Glass of wine.

Good luck! I weighed in less today than I have in 5 years.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WOW!!! never thought about raw food....

I lost a bunch of weight about 7yrs ago doing the Atkins thing. Dropped 45lbs in 4mths,but couldn't get anymore off.

Why not eat more meat for portein??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,293 Posts
Atkins is great for short-term weight loss, but at the cost of trashing your body nutritionally (IMO).

From a logical perspective, it makes sense to me that raw foods are best, as the lack of cooking (pasteurization is cooking too, fwiw) maintains a better nutrient/vitamin/mineral availability.

Why would I need more protein? Don't get me wrong, I dig some sushi/nigiri, raw eggs in the smoothies, nuts, etc...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know....That just what I've heard.......Eat more and lose more weight.

That's why I'm looking here, to see everyone else's diets and and adapt one that fits my lifestyle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't know....That just what I've heard.......Eat more and lose more weight.

That's why I'm looking here, to see everyone else's diets and and adapt one that fits my lifestyle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,293 Posts
officersdr said:
I don't know....That just what I've heard.......Eat more and lose more weight.

That's why I'm looking here, to see everyone else's diets and and adapt one that fits my lifestyle.
Honestly, I think you could eat lean meat every day. Red meat is the bad stuff. Fish/chicken/turkey is just fine by me!

I am not an excercise physiologist, I didn't study nutrition in school or anything like that, but running thru a couple of calculators online, I see that my daily protein intake "should" be close to 100g.

I have no idea how I would eat 100g of protein a day.
Chicken breast (1/4 lb) is about 30g of protein....just to give you an idea...
 

·
S-Mart's Top of the Line
Joined
·
306 Posts
First off....if you wanna pull a hasselhoff, apparently all you need is a good bottle of scotch. :p


two years ago when I dropped 60 pounds, I did nothing except just ride my ass off. No change in diet...just ride literally every day, even if it was for 1 mile. Most days were between 15 and 40. That was a lot of work though, and I plateau'd at about 225. I'm @ 250 now and looking to get under 2, so now I have basic, simple, easy rules to help, on top of killing myself on the bike.

1.) No sodas/energy drinks/etc. Water, tea, milk, lemonade, coffee or juice.
2.) ALWAYS eat breakfast.
3.) Don't eat out unless it's an absolute necessity or a special occasion (IE someone else's bday.)
4.) Mix the diet up. If you eat the same thing every day, you'll get bored.

Also, don't buy a diet book...you'll go nuts. Small changes make a big difference. Good luck!


Also, reading through the replies, you can buy lean red meat, but it's expensive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.....Scotch.

That's going to be my biggest hurdle is my sweet tooth. And I'm done with diet books.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
550 Posts
officersdr said:
I have been watching for a while and building my SS Yukon. I love seeing all the impressive weight loss in the " weigh in" thread, but I have not found anything about what you guys are doing to lose all this weight.

I'm 6'2" and 270lbs, I would like to be 210 by Jan 2012. I need some ideas on how I can reach this goal......

.......Help me be able to do my Hasslehoff impression when I go to Kona......Without me knocking myself out with my MO-OBS ( man boobs )

How bad do you really want it and are you really ready to permanently change your lifestyle? Unless your answer is really bad and you're ready to make sacrifices to get there AND you're ready to permanently give up bad habits... Don't bother!

However, if you're ready it's WAY WORTH IT!!!

I went from 300+ (296 when I started "weighing in"), 6' 5" 48yr old to 215 in 7 months. I've spent the last 5 months hovering ~210 working to get under 200lbs. All blood work normal/excellent and RHR ~50BPM! I've documented what I've done and am willing to share any pearls of wisdom. The biggest is to give up simple carbs! Quite frankly, they are awful for your body. Second, 3-5 cadio sessions/wk! There's more... Let me know!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
dadtorbn said:
How bad do you really want it and are you really ready to permanently change your lifestyle? Unless your answer is really bad and you're ready to make sacrifices to get there AND you're ready to permanently give up bad habits... Don't bother!

However, if you're ready it's WAY WORTH IT!!!

I went from 300+ (296 when I started "weighing in"), 6' 5" 48yr old to 215 in 7 months. I've spent the last 5 months hovering ~210 working to get under 200lbs. All blood work normal/excellent and RHR ~50BPM! I've documented what I've done and am willing to share any pearls of wisdom. The biggest is to give up simple carbs! Quite frankly, they are awful for your body. Second, 3-5 cadio sessions/wk! There's more... Let me know!
I would appreciate hearing more about your diet.

Thanks in advance!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
For me the word "diet" does not work. What did work was a complete lifestyle change. I have tried many diets over the last several years only to lose weight initially but then I had trouble keeping it off and eventually gained it back and then some. I was 382lbs as of June 27, 2010 when I started the weight watchers program. Since today is my 8th month anniversary I thought I would post. In the past eight months I have lost over 154lbs. I have to admit I have done a lot of work on the spinning bikes and treadmills in that time but what has really worked is portion control. In the WW program you can eat what ever you like but you have to maintain portion control and that is what will teach you to control your weight in the future when you go into "maintenance mode". Everyone is different when it comes to loosing weight, what works for some may not work for others. But when it comes down to it no matter what kind of "diet" you explore it has to be realistic and you have to be able to maintain after the "diet" phase is over. Whatever plan you choose I wish you good luck!
 

·
S-Mart's Top of the Line
Joined
·
306 Posts
dadtorbn said:
How bad do you really want it and are you really ready to permanently change your lifestyle? Unless your answer is really bad and you're ready to make sacrifices to get there AND you're ready to permanently give up bad habits... Don't bother!

However, if you're ready it's WAY WORTH IT!!!

I went from 300+ (296 when I started "weighing in"), 6' 5" 48yr old to 215 in 7 months. I've spent the last 5 months hovering ~210 working to get under 200lbs. All blood work normal/excellent and RHR ~50BPM! I've documented what I've done and am willing to share any pearls of wisdom. The biggest is to give up simple carbs! Quite frankly, they are awful for your body. Second, 3-5 cadio sessions/wk! There's more... Let me know!

You sound like an infomercial. I'm expecting your next post to mention something along the lines of "just three easy payments of $999.95..."


Also, that part about "giving up bad habits" etc...it all just depends. I dropped 60 pounds in a year by doing nothing than riding as much and as often as I could. I still drank like a fish. Still ate fast food. Ate the hell out of some carbs. (Italian family) But I rode my ass off. It would probably have been easier if I HAD changed my diet, but all these people that go on and on about how they changed so much, and you have to make "major life changes" are simply trying to convince other people that the seaweed and sawgrass diet they are on is what everybody needs.

I'll say it again. Make SMALL changes that YOU can live with. If you go head over heels into some crazy drastic diet, or if you start making giant changes in lifestyle or diet, then you're just going to be miserable and end up quitting.

I read an article in dirt rag...that's what got me started. It was about a (non-clyde) rider who made a personal goal of riding every day for a month straight, at least a little bit. Even if he had no time, he'd at least get a mile in here or there. It was inspiring the way he talked about the satisfaction of accomplishment. I wanted that feeling, so I did the same. I wasn't even concerned about weight loss, I just wanted to make it 30 days. I rode in the rain. I rode after getting back drunk from the bars. I rode regardless, always at least a mile. Most rides were longer. I had some spills, I had some scars, but man....that 31st day was the best ride ever. I rocked that ****, and ended up losing 10 pounds without even having thought about it. I kept riding, and lost 60, always at least a mile. No diet changes. No drastic lifestyle changes. Just a simple ride. Try that. If you don't enjoy yourself, you're only going to be miserable. Weight loss can't be a chore.
 

·
Johnny Dependable
Joined
·
233 Posts
CharacterZero said:
here is what I do...

Eat: RAW foods. Raw fruits, nuts, veggies, sprouted grains, etc. You cannot eat too much raw foods. I shoot for 80% raw...that means I can eat cooked meals 4 times a week out of the total 21 meals. Miso Soup is nice too. Raw can be tough to do in the winter, as we need warming foods to get us thru

Avoid: anything with High Fructose Corn Syrup, refined sugar, soda, dairy, limited meat exposure. Avoid anything that didn't exist 100 years ago.

Typical day for me:
1. Bowl of fruit for breakfast (dozen blackberries, dozen raspberries, some pinapple)
2. Smoothie for lunch (banana, handfull of raw nuts, some supplement powder, a salad's worth of kale and or spinach, spoon of yogurt, couple strawberries and a touch of stevia)
3. Snack (apple, chips/hummus
4. Sensible dinner (big salad or 1 small portion of either fish or bird, cooked vegetables). Glass of wine.

Good luck! I weighed in less today than I have in 5 years.
YUP! Me TOO! I converted to a mostly RAW, high fruit, low fat vegan LIFESTYLE on Jan 3 and have already lost 30lbs! In addition to my new dietary lifestyle I am also committed to riding 3 days a week, and doing resistance training 3 days a week. My body has become a furnace!

My journey started by watching a pre screening of the documentary, "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead." Then I expanded on the film's juicing idea and added green smoothies after reading Victoria Boutenko's book, "Green For Life."

Typical day for me includes 4 Oranges OR Apples OR Pears for meal one. A delicious 16oz. 2 Apple, 1/2 Beat, 4 Carrots, 4 sticks Celery, 2 cups Spinach (Or Kale) juice drink for meal two. 32oz Green smoothie for meal three (1 bunch leafy greens[kale/spinach/romaine etc.] 1 apple, 2 bananas, and a handful of either blueberries or strawberries) for meal 3. A large mixed fruit & berry bowl for meal 4 and a 4-5 ingredient spinach/romaine garden salad with balsamic vinegar & 2 tblsp cold fused flaxseed oil for my last meal. I also drink about 8 glasses of R/O filtered water a day.

Occasionally I will replace the garden salad with a raw almond butter/raw honey sandwich on food for life's sprouted grain bread. I also replace the meal 1 morning fruits with food for life's sprouted grain cereal & Silk Soy milk once or twice a week.

I can't tell you guys enough how much better I feel eating this way! I fall asleep almost instantly after my head hits the pillow, I stay asleep for 7 full hours instead of 9-10 restless hours, I awake with an amazing amount of energy and motivation, and I don't ever need to take naps!

Also, I have been battling really bad GERD for 15 years that I treated with a daily Prevacid poison pill that basically turned off my body's ability to produce natural, healthy stomach acid to digest my food. Well, within weeks of my dietary change my GERD was completely gone and I haven't taken a single Prevacid pill in 6 weeks!

I bet I will have lost 60lbs and be back down to my high school graduation weight within 6 months of eating like this!

You guys wouldn't believe how easy it is to eat like this either. I used to eat a diet consisting of sugary cereal for breakfast, fast food for lunch, candy bar/chips for a snack, fast food for dinner, ice cream for desert. I was totally addicted to fat, sugar and cooked carbs. If I can do this, ANYONE can! The almost instant results in both weight loss and energy are so motivating that I truly believe anybody can make this change! And seriously, I'm NEVER hungry.
 

·
Disgruntled Peccary
Joined
·
2,721 Posts
H3LlIoN said:
and you have to make "major life changes" are simply trying to convince other people that the seaweed and sawgrass diet they are on is what everybody needs. .
Wow, if you really believe that.. you just don't get it. No matter what anyone says, it's a ton easier to just not EAT those extra, useless, calories than it is to burn them off, period. Do I eat an extremely strict diet? No. Do I eat sensibly 90% of the time? Yep. Oh and I ride a ton actually.
 

·
Johnny Dependable
Joined
·
233 Posts
officersdr said:
I don't know....That just what I've heard.......Eat more and lose more weight.

That's why I'm looking here, to see everyone else's diets and and adapt one that fits my lifestyle.
In actuality, one bunch of green leafy veggies (spinach/kale/romaine) consists of MORE usable proteins, enzymes and amino acids than a 16oz T-bone steak. And if you eat your veggies in a smoothie with fresh organic fruits, it will taste sweet & delicious, be very easily digested by your body and instantly turned into energy! Woo hoo!

Also, the amount of protein we actually need compared to what the FDA has been recommending for as long as anyone can remember, is out of sync. We need much less protein than we think. Basically, a long time ago some scientist discovered that the body was mostly made of proteins, so everyone assumed that we need to eat a bunch of protein. Not true! We actually are eating way too much protein as a society and it shows by how many people suffer from kidney stones and kidney failure nowadays.

I just learned all this stuff by reading Victoria Boutenko's book, "Food for LIfe." She backs all the info in her book with a metric SH! T- ton of scientific studies. She did her homework! Her book is amazing and I highly recommend it!
 

·
Johnny Dependable
Joined
·
233 Posts
CharacterZero said:
Honestly, I think you could eat lean meat every day. Red meat is the bad stuff. Fish/chicken/turkey is just fine by me!

I am not an excercise physiologist, I didn't study nutrition in school or anything like that, but running thru a couple of calculators online, I see that my daily protein intake "should" be close to 100g.

I have no idea how I would eat 100g of protein a day.
Chicken breast (1/4 lb) is about 30g of protein....just to give you an idea...
There are still some big problems with eating any kind of meat, even lean. First, the vast majority of meat in our world is from animals who are fed a diet of genetically modified corn and pumped full of harmful antibiotics! How good could their meat be for us?

Second, the simple act of cooking meat removes most of the natural enzymes we need to digest it, vitamins and minerals we think we're getting from it, and also completely changes the scientific properties turning what we think is nutritious meat into acidic cancer causing toxins! Sounds harsh I know, but it's the truth.

The only good thing about eating meat is the taste.

If you read, "The China Study" by T. Colin Campbell you will most likely never want to eat meat again! Be careful though, once you go down the rabbit hole, your entire perspective changes. Kind of like the Matrix, lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
550 Posts
H3LlIoN said:
You sound like an infomercial. I'm expecting your next post to mention something along the lines of "just three easy payments of $999.95..."


Also, that part about "giving up bad habits" etc...it all just depends. I dropped 60 pounds in a year by doing nothing than riding as much and as often as I could. I still drank like a fish. Still ate fast food. Ate the hell out of some carbs. (Italian family) But I rode my ass off. It would probably have been easier if I HAD changed my diet, but all these people that go on and on about how they changed so much, and you have to make "major life changes" are simply trying to convince other people that the seaweed and sawgrass diet they are on is what everybody needs.

I'll say it again. Make SMALL changes that YOU can live with. If you go head over heels into some crazy drastic diet, or if you start making giant changes in lifestyle or diet, then you're just going to be miserable and end up quitting.

I read an article in dirt rag...that's what got me started. It was about a (non-clyde) rider who made a personal goal of riding every day for a month straight, at least a little bit. Even if he had no time, he'd at least get a mile in here or there. It was inspiring the way he talked about the satisfaction of accomplishment. I wanted that feeling, so I did the same. I wasn't even concerned about weight loss, I just wanted to make it 30 days. I rode in the rain. I rode after getting back drunk from the bars. I rode regardless, always at least a mile. Most rides were longer. I had some spills, I had some scars, but man....that 31st day was the best ride ever. I rocked that ****, and ended up losing 10 pounds without even having thought about it. I kept riding, and lost 60, always at least a mile. No diet changes. No drastic lifestyle changes. Just a simple ride. Try that. If you don't enjoy yourself, you're only going to be miserable. Weight loss can't be a chore.
Outstanding! Do what works for you! This was me in my twenties! I had only myself to worry about! Whenever I had free time (which was really ALL the time), I could ride. I wasn't' careful about what I ate because I burned it off. I'd drink like a fish occasionally, eat like crap, fast food, burgers etc... I never really put on weight. I was never skinny but I was fit and strong!.

When you raise a family and you're actually invovled with your kids activities and not making them sacrifice for you let me know how your "eat anything in sight diet" works out...

My wife is also from a very Italian family. Not to stereotype... Their diet has tons of simple carbs (pasta, etc...). Not one of them over 40 is skinny. They all range from overweight to obese. I was there and I will never go back.

You're dead right with making simple changes you can live with. Changing lifestyles is hard. Going cold turkey to a new lifestyle is damn near impossible. It took me 4-6months to end up pretty good about my diet (food intake). It's funny though I really do not miss a single thing that I thought I couldn't give up. Transitioning to it one step at a time and taking it to the next level each time you plateau is the path I followed.

How'd your diet work out when winter hit and you had to dial back the cardio work? I've put on 5-7 lbs from my low of 203. I know why I have... Wine and marginally healthy late night snacks. I'll fix it when daylight saving comes around and I can squeeze one ride a week in. If I'm lucky two. I coach both my sons little league teams cart my daughter to high school lacrosse practices and games, have a working wife and my kids do not go to day care. I have a full time job requiring travel occasionally.

Anyhow, simple carbs suck for your body period! Corn syrup and diet sodas are equally bad. There's no need for them. They all cause spikes in your blood sugar which is bad for you. Raw foods are best. Veggies, fruit, low fat protein sources (boneless skinless chicken), fish etc...
 
1 - 20 of 81 Posts
Top