Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

3721 - 3740 of 3751 Posts

·
Cycologist
7,189 Posts
Anyone familiar with this?

I'm not sure I would trust how that front end is held on. As far as shock driven front suspension, I kind of like the simplicity of this one but I can't figure out how it actually works. It seems like the shock would need to pivot toward the top but it appears it doesn't.

Reactions: cyclelicious

·
Huckin' trails
6,028 Posts
I get how the front end works, but looks like it'd be prone to binding toward the end of the travel, as well as creating awkward steering response going downhill on bumps. I don't think there's much useable travel in that fork either, maybe comparable to late 90's MTB performance ?

And judging from the parts, it does look like its 20 years old as well.

·
Bikes in jeans
2,317 Posts
Anyone familiar with this?

I'm not sure I would trust how that front end is held on. As far as shock driven front suspension, I kind of like the simplicity of this one but I can't figure out how it actually works. It seems like the shock would need to pivot toward the top but it appears it doesn't.
The spring portion of the shock is just not attached to the shock, but otherwise would theoretically work. The shock itself would just have the damper but nothing to return it to extended position. You can also see the dial on the top tube to adjust the return rate and possibly the travel / HTA.

The shock to frame attachment points are terrifying. I imagine there's a crazy amount of flex in that setup even when it is perfectly tuned but the number of bushings would make that a mess to have to deal with.

There's a reason designs like this never caught on though.

·
Cycologist
7,189 Posts

·
Huckin' trails
6,028 Posts
And it folds!

Found reviews on empty beer:

basically 5 stars if the bolt holding the fork on doesn't break, 1 star if it does!
Like it folds over to better fit in the aluminium recycle bin at the dump ? How in the hell does that thing folds unless you're taking off the rear triangle all together. And that link just sends me over to a 2 posts thread on a guy asking which bike he should buy after his wife is convinced to let him buy a bike and another guy telling him which one he think is best. I'm surprised the wife doesn't get to decide which bike is best.

Edit : I typed the URL my hand in my browser and got to the right page. One of the reviewer calls it the top 3 mistakes of his life after he got a serious life injury from the head lot breaking off. Makes me question his sense of decision making because who in the hell looks at this thing thinking it's never gonna break and proceeds to even ride it downhill. I bet the other two mistakes are buying a timeshare and marrying a crack head.

Just kidding. Things were weird in the 90's alright for new MTB designs. I was actually surprised to see so many reviews, and some were very good, others were bad, but the bike seemed legit engineering, not just a marketing stunt with a logo on it.

·
Cycologist
7,189 Posts
I like how it had to be shipped back to Germany for repair.

·
Huckin' trails
6,028 Posts
More like a fessebouck WTF, but yeah, someone doesn't get the concept behind a G63. At least you know it's never be beaten off-road ? Perhaps what they call an urban crawler ? Too tired of watching out for the curb driving his lambo ?

IMG_6255.jpg

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
My bike tires are bigger than those. I hate seeing a real 4x4 with electrical tape for tires. Had a friend with a G55, 8in lift, and 35in tires and she still ran a 11sec 1/4 mile in it.

·
Your Best Friend
5,228 Posts
My sister-in-law has a G550 4x4 squared. A 250k "off-roader". That thing will never see any dirt under its tires.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Huckin' trails
6,028 Posts
My bike tires are bigger than those. I hate seeing a real 4x4 with electrical tape for tires. Had a friend with a G55, 8in lift, and 35in tires and she still ran a 11sec 1/4 mile in it.
That's impressive. Also impressive is the boat like MPG she must get on the highway. Kinda like having to find a gas station every hour to fill up.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Yea that was not of a concern it was rarely on the highway. She lives in Sedona so it's glorious trails from the backyard. But still better mpgs then the 4x4 squared. Those portal axles are not known for gas mileage.

Here is a pic from the magazine article

·
Huckin' trails
6,028 Posts
That's pretty nice, I like it.

Btw I contacted the seller (dealership) of the G63 on skinnies and he told me I'll be just fine off-road with those tires. At this point I'm pretty sure he's never been off-road himself, as you'll know you'll get a flat in no time from knocking the mag in pot holes and spinning out on sharp rocks. And even having a spare tire won't save you, unless you get 4 spares.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
there is off road and dirt roads. I think he thinks dirt roads. you couldn't get over a curb without dinging those wheels.

uh why? its a bike to no where. $300. 9 brooks saddles and 9 maxxis holy rollers is worth the price though.

3721 - 3740 of 3751 Posts