3661 - 3680 of 3720 Posts

·
Bikes in jeans
2,304 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
To be fair a good option of that cost is the Roholff hub/gears, which is like $1300. It is made by ex-Porsche engineers if remember correctly, but I've mostly seen it on touring/bikepacking bikes.

·
well mannered lout
2,600 Posts
...but I can't imagine a more pretentious purpose-less bike.
They could have added a Gates belt drive to it....that would be more pretentious, right?

I actually like the bike because it's uncompromising in it's chosen direction.

·
Cycologist
6,974 Posts
Screen Shot 2020-11-12 at 7.48.29 AM.png

This is San Francisco btw.

·
Bikes in jeans
2,304 Posts

I'll bet this thing is absolute s*** to ride without vertical articulation between the front 2 wheels when turning.

There are actually motorcycles like this. Piaggio has made them for at least a decade now, but half the engineering is in the articulation of the front wheels when making a turn.

piaggio-mp3-350-action-1--1024x683.jpg

Without that component, you can't lean and you'd almost have to transfer to a single front wheel to turn predictably.

I'll give whomever made it credit for the build quality but I can't imagine this being much fun anywhere but a beach or groomed nordic track or somewhere else flat and lacking sharp turns.

·
Registered
716 Posts
oh wow, that is so stupid.

Also the idea of a trike is not a good one IMO.
If you'll notice in the video, when turning, the outside wheel leaves the ground. This is when you need the extra traction the most. So, in my opinion, waste of time and money.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
8,266 Posts
If you'll notice in the video, when turning, the outside wheel leaves the ground. This is when you need the extra traction the most. So, in my opinion, waste of time and money.

I did not look that close, I had assumed it was like the Yamaha Nikken...... if that is the case the second wheel is pointless....

3661 - 3680 of 3720 Posts