Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
~~~
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many of us are not used to this type of cold weather. Many of us here don't have the cycling specific cold weather gear.

Post some tips here on how to stay safe. What's your bike choice if you choose to seek out some snow? What tires do you run if you don't have studded tires? What are your favorite hand/toe warming techniques? Many riders forget how cold your toes get on the descent!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Toes and fingers are usually the first parts to freeze, followed by your face. Whenever we ride in freezing temperatures (and it happened a few times this season), a neoprene ski mask and ski gloves took care of the face and hands, and I bought those neoprene shoe covers to keep my toes warm (they work!).

I can't answer the tire/bike question. It's not like we actually ride snow in the Bay Area, but I suspect those fat tired bikes ought to do the trick. I say you just use whatever you have because it's unlikely you'll ride in the snow a whole bunch anyway.

BTW, they sell hand warmer packs for $1. I bought a few packs but haven't gotten around to using them.

If you want to get more ridiculous, they have heated grips (not cheap) and handlebar bibs.

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,859 Posts
Layers, with polypro at the bottom.

Bags on my feets, and double up on the gloves.

Legs don't get cold.

And a sok on my cok. ;)
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content

Bone-us points for anyone who can name the band.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
that looks like a young hillel slovak and anthony kiedis if you ask me

Finch Platte said:
Layers, with polypro at the bottom.

Bags on my feets, and double up on the gloves.

Legs don't get cold.

And a sok on my cok. ;)
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content

Bone-us points for anyone who can name the band.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I got nailed last weekend. Ended up flagging a ride down the mountain from Pantoll area on Tam. I was frozen to core, miserable and starting to think totally irrationally.

Things I would have done differently:

- Brought an extra pair of gloves and socks in a plastic bag in my pocket.
- Used the ziplock bags I brought in my shoes, like I usually do. Last minute I opted to use my ziplocks for my cell phone...I was warm at start.
- Head home when I started getting really cold. I tried to get a few more miles in (stupid strava competition) and that's what did me in.
- Brought a real rainproof jacket, not my dinky cycling one that only deters water.
- Did I mention two pairs of gloves and sock??

Word.

·
Registered
794 Posts
My $0.01.
dress warm (duh) but not so warm that you are comfortable when you first start out. otherwise you will overheat on the first climb, be soaked in sweat, and then freezing cold

Thin wind RESISTANT layers (not proof) can have similiar effect to thicker insulation layers with reduced risk of overheating.

Booties. Booties. Booties. Did I say Booties. Fond of the Endura ones. Very fond of them

Don't forget to drink and eat. Eating itself can help generate body warmth. (climbing/mountaineering trick... just before tucking into your mummy bag on a frigid night, eat a snickers or something, your body's exothermic fuel cycle will fire right up warming your bag and you)

If its really cold/storming, tell someone where you are going and when you expect to be back. this is good practice regardless, but especially appreciated by SAR in a storm.

Don't take yourself so seriously afterwards... you just rode in cold weather, you didn't solve world hunger... not really worth an "epic" TR on the boards :)

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
tburger said:
Cool, thanks! Maybe we can focus more on snow riding tips.

Plus, this thread has soks on coks. :)
to respond to the OP's actual question, here is what i did when i lived in ithaca, ny for 2 years (cold and snowy):
-wore a pair of thermal long johns and top as a base layer, then bike shorts and jersey over that.
-added a thin shell over the core
-wore double socks (thin inner sock, than a fluffier cotton sock over that)
-pedaled fast to warm up
-didnt stay out too long (usually max of 45 minutes)
-usually found pretty good traction in fresh powder over hardpack dirt trail--but this was not technical riding

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
dress in layers
wool socks, not the thin summer socks
full fingered gloves - wind/water proof if you have them
head sock under helmet

...and on the flats and tarmac, draft off your buddy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.