Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for around 250USD max spent on your SS conversion or purchase. :)

I'm buying an old Lotus 4000m later that is going to be converted. Looking to keep it all under 200$

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
It should only cost as much as the singlespeed conversion kit. ($30+tax at performance) That will leave you with about $160 left over. You can use the remaining money for: a better wheelset or cranks (depending how much you want to lighten the bike).

·
Registered
209 Posts
wjphillips said:
It should only cost as much as the singlespeed conversion kit. ($30+tax at performance) That will leave you with about $160 left over. You can use the remaining money for: a better wheelset or cranks (depending how much you want to lighten the bike).
I think he means $250 total, including bike.

I think mine is a bit over, but I could have paid less if I hadn't gotten into a bidding war over the frame with my uncle, who was trying to buy the frame for me as a surprise >_<

·
Registered
1,652 Posts

Old frame of my dad's that I converted for my brother. It has since been taken back apart but it was fun while it lasted. New fork, crankset, wheels, headset, bars/stem, saddle all for around $100 spent after diggin through the parts bin.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hows this for budget build.

From this:

To this:

Yes, there are gears on it currently for winter (1x7), but it will return to being a single speed once the snow stays cleared. It is too much to try and go from cutting through 2,3,4+ inches of snow one minute to riding on ice the next and back again w/o cursing constantly if I was SS-ing it. I'm not some kinda complete SS masochist. :eekster:

Anyway, about the bike. I found this wreck at the bottom of a small canyon near where we live while on a hike with our girls a while ago. The next day we came back, walked up the creek and I backpacked the bike out. The bike has apparently been down there awhile. I originally had thoughts of either rebuilding it for one of the girls or salvaging what parts were still working for the kids bikes, but after I had some bad problems with my other bike (ie a catastrophic crash) I decided to give this bike a new life. One side of the rear triangle was tweaked kinda hard, so I had to use a long rod levered against the seat tube to straighten it. For the most part most of the pieces came off my other bike that I retired and from my spare parts bin. The studded tires and cables are new though and I had to have the steer tube extended 2" otherwise a minimum investment for a not to shabby a beater. The bike is a GF Mako most likely a very late nineties/ early 2k model since it had no mounts whatsoever for discs.

FYI for any of you hawkeyes that can see the chain length is pretty darn short in the pic. For lack of a chain guide to keep the chain from popping off while in the lower gears I had it shortened.

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Bought the frame and fork and seatpost collar for $100 and a 12 pack of beer and I had the rest in my parts bin.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Here's mine with a slight thread derail (I posted this question in another forum but got no reply)

I installed a 1/8" single speed chain and the extra thickness is making it rub against the bashgaurd and make some noise. Is there a way to prevent this or is this just normal?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SquishyPanda said:
I think he means $250 total, including bike.

I think mine is a bit over, but I could have paid less if I hadn't gotten into a bidding war over the frame with my uncle, who was trying to buy the frame for me as a surprise >_<

How do you like those Panaracers? I had the XC 26ers on my EX9 I loved them. Light and grippy. I really like to dig into turns and feel most tires don't allow me to do that.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, I was looking for SS bikes that people put together for really cheap. There are so many threads with everyone's boutique 2k plus bike that I thought this would be a nice change. It's also my current project :)

·
Token Hillbilly
712 Posts
akpirate said:
Hows this for budget build.

From this:

To this:

Yes, there are gears on it currently for winter (1x7), but it will return to being a single speed once the snow stays cleared. It is too much to try and go from cutting through 2,3,4+ inches of snow one minute to riding on ice the next and back again w/o cursing constantly if I was SS-ing it. I'm not some kinda complete SS masochist. :eekster:

Anyway, about the bike. I found this wreck at the bottom of a small canyon near where we live while on a hike with our girls a while ago. The next day we came back, walked up the creek and I backpacked the bike out. The bike has apparently been down there awhile. I originally had thoughts of either rebuilding it for one of the girls or salvaging what parts were still working for the kids bikes, but after I had some bad problems with my other bike (ie a catastrophic crash) I decided to give this bike a new life. One side of the rear triangle was tweaked kinda hard, so I had to use a long rod levered against the seat tube to straighten it. For the most part most of the pieces came off my other bike that I retired and from my spare parts bin. The studded tires and cables are new though and I had to have the steer tube extended 2" otherwise a minimum investment for a not to shabby a beater. The bike is a GF Mako most likely a very late nineties/ early 2k model since it had no mounts whatsoever for discs.

FYI for any of you hawkeyes that can see the chain length is pretty darn short in the pic. For lack of a chain guide to keep the chain from popping off while in the lower gears I had it shortened.
Ummm... That bike has the paint scheme from '09 to present. It's from the "Classic Hartails" section. I think you made out better than you think. They are low end of the spectrum, but the frame and geometry is pretty much the same on all of their hardtail frames.

Nice haul! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I might have overachieved on the sub $250 criteria. I probably have $50 wrapped up in this little deathtrap.

A $20 adapter to get rid of the original one piece crank:

A $20 Raleigh provided the new crank, bottom bracket, Araya wheels and sweet Biopace chainring:

And there you go, one fully functional Huffy Single Speed:

It needed a little old skool hotrod pinstriping:

I don't ride it much these days since I've invested in a slightly better SS (Deadeye). But it lasted a whole season of Michigan singletrack with no failures. I still take it out once in a while to remind myself how terrible the brakes are.

·
Ovaries on the Outside
4,425 Posts
can'tputt said:
Here's mine with a slight thread derail (I posted this question in another forum but got no reply)

I installed a 1/8" single speed chain and the extra thickness is making it rub against the bashgaurd and make some noise. Is there a way to prevent this or is this just normal?
I would guess your get up is designed around a 3/32 or whatever chain, so the 1/8 eats up too much space and rubs. Since I gather the rubbing is light, maybe a trip to a hardware store for some washers would space things out enough that you won't have problems.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Airskank said:
How do you like those Panaracers? I had the XC 26ers on my EX9 I loved them. Light and grippy. I really like to dig into turns and feel most tires don't allow me to do that.
They're definitely one of the lighter 29er tires out there. I'm not a very good rider so I can't give a well-educated performance review on them, but they've certainly been reliable. I'm running them tubeless right now and mostly ride on pavement (campus bike) but in all my bashing around (I can't bunnyhop to save my life so I just sorta smash into curbs) I haven't had any burps and only one puncture that sealed itself up right quick (Stans is amazing).

1 - 20 of 77 Posts