Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 963 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Here's a pic of my rig. Everything, but my sleeping bag, which is getting cut down into a quilt. A few things in the seat bag will go into a front handlebar harness along with the quilt. I'm able to carry 6 liters of water with this setup.

Woody

Attachments

·
Cumbria, England.
353 Posts
Here's a few pics from when I first built this bike up. I'll have to update them and provide my kit list when I get things packed up for my next trip!

Tent, sleeping mat, sleeping bag and sleeping clothes are in the bar bag. Cooking gear, food and waterproofs go in the saddle bag. I have a couple of different sized Wingnut backpacks for carrying my normal biking gear plus snacks/energy products.

Bags are by Bikepack and the cooking gear is by Evernew.

·
Premium Member
7,758 Posts
One of the coolest things about bikepacking is that you can do it nearly anywhere, on any bike, with any gear, anybody, and any speed.

Got an old MTB, a rack, a sleeping bag, a backpack, and some rope? Go for it!

Like ultralight gear, riding fast, and don't care if you have to rough it? Go for it!

Want to take the kids on an adventure and bring some creature comforts in fully loaded panniers & a trailer? Go for it! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Here's my lightweight setup. I make most of my gear and have been selling the saddlebags, framepacks, gas tanks, and carriers for a year and a half. They've been used in the GDR, Colorado Trail Race, Arrowhead 135, and by roadies for Brest/Paris/Brest.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Cool spokes, people!

Here ya go, Nurburg:
Pivot 429 because it does so many things well, and my low back does not. Set up here on the cheap for a 260-mile no-food-resupply stretch on a 600-mile ride. 33L Osprey pack not shown.

Fandango Tourista, set up for two nights out. Frame packs will bring this up to full capability. 18L and 9L hydration packs not shown.

Cheers,

Mike

·
gran jefe
2,692 Posts
Frame packs will bring this up to full capability. 18L and 9L hydration packs not shown.
You have a hydration pack that holds 4.5 gallons of water? Loaded up, you carry 60 lbs of water? It is nice to have plenty...

I'm going to end up with my sleeping pad on the front like that. Glad I'm not the only one...

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Bill, that was misleading of me. "L" is the packs' capacity, not the bladder within. 18L hydration pack, LOL!

For bigger rides we're going to have to use our front harness for a drybag and stick the pads out back somewhere. I dislike that homeless shopping cart look, but as long as it works...And nobody try to talk me into an inflatable pad :)

Mike

·
gran jefe
2,692 Posts
Bill, that was misleading of me. "L" is the packs' capacity, not the bladder within. 18L hydration pack, LOL!
ha ha, I was pretty sure I was misunderstanding something. Then I thought, well, maybe they like to take showers on the trail... :D

I dislike that homeless shopping cart look, but as long as it works...And nobody try to talk me into an inflatable pad :)
Same here. When I'm backpacking, I have to hang the pad off the bottom of my pack, and I definitely look homeless. Oh well, it's comfortable, it never leaks, and it's mine. I might try to get fancy and put some kind of drawstring bag over it, but I sort of doubt it.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Try the paper clip icon if the pic is on your computer. The globe/link icon for a URL such photobucket or whatever host the pic resides with. They're above the posting text entry field.

Whip it out, man.

1 - 20 of 963 Posts