Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
181 - 200 of 513 Posts

·
Rabid Lana Fan
27,604 Posts
This summer I started riding 3-4 times a week (off-road), and I gave up Cokes. I was able to shed 35 lbs. My goal is 190 lbs. I am 6'. I need to start taking the diet seriously to be able to reach my goal weight.

This thread is a good inspiration. Some of the results I see here are nothing short of miraculous.

Keep the success stories coming!

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Alright... I just bumped into this forum while checking out the Whole MTBR thing... Here's my story... I started in 2000 weighing in at 328 lbs... I had issues even walking up a set of stairs... Heart issues run in my family and at that time my brother at age 35 was having issues that damn near killed him... I was and am 10 years younger than him... I'm 33 now... This sparked a new lifestyle for me... I was in love with life and not ready to cash out yet... I had for many years been an avid skateboarder and bmxer and during College I thought it was time to grow up and move one... WORST F'N THING I EVER DID TO MYSELF... With that going on I took up my new hobby Beer, and Cigs... Not a drinking problem except on the weekends I loved to party... Speeding up the story - I am now over 80 lbs lighter... I haven't drank or smoked anything for over 4 years... I race mountain bikes for fun, this year taking on the MASS Endurance Series in Pa and overall just enjoyin life... Here's the next big kicker... I changed my passion for life to fitness and now work full time as a Certified Personal Trainer helping others reach their goals as others have helped me reach mine... I love it... Couldn't be happier... Diet is key... Support, especially wives or closest family, is key and having the balls to say when the goin get's tough you get tougher... Best of luck for all of you as we struggle with the same bull ea. day... I'm offering both this forum and my email [email protected] for anyone to ask questions or look for tips if needed... I still fight the same fight daily as ea. and every one of you and offer any help I can... Keep on keepin on... I'm also in to Tattoos and have a sleeve on my left arm... My hands say "Rise Above", wrist says "Carpe Diem" and every day I look at that and it keeps me going... Best of Luck... Straus

·
Registered
684 Posts
stormcrowe said:
Thanks, it is! By the way, since I exceeded the bandwidth of my image host and they booted me, here is a replacement for the before and my most recent after. I'm now down to 219 pounds from a high of 581!:D
Before and also last summer from a 167 mile sub 12 endurance ride:

current:

Nothing is impossible!:thumbsup:
Wow, that's really inspirational. Truly amazing work. And that's coming from a guy who has fit into size 32 pants his entire life.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Anything can happen within six months.....

Not only is mountain biking fun but it was my escape. It literally changed my life and confidence! I decided to stop eating fast food, sodas, bad carbs, and dining out on a regular basis. I ate a healthy dose of oatmeal everyday (anything 100% wheat, chicken, fish), rode 3x/week and made it a point to eat breakfast for 4 months straight. Also I made it a point to at least splurge on a good meal once every two weeks.

Before @ 249lbs (You can see my big ol gut and man boobs!) 4/2007 Mountainous landforms Highland Hill Mountain Ridge

After @ 197lbs 7/2007
Human Mammal Athletic shoe Hiking boot Knee

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great Job All!

Well, just registered the other day here after reading many reviews of equipment. Started out buying a rigid RM Fusion, back in '95 second hand. Didn't go too seriously, just had fun. Fast forward to around 2007, I'm about 60lbs heavier (250ish 40" pants, 6' 0") and started riding with my kids. I also started riding everyday to work and back as well, feeling great, looking better prolly lost 10 or 15 (using old Fusion I bought), blew some drive train components, replaced and good to go again, finished off the year early as cold weather hit early in northern BC. This year looking forward to getting on the old girl again (gained back what I lost last year and then some throughout the winter). Well snow is just about gone now (about another foot to go) and I'll be riding again and looking to replace the old Fusion this year.

I just wanted to post here to intro myself, tell everyone here "GREAT JOB!" and you're all giving me great inspiration to give'r nails this year! I'm still learning the lingo but I'm reading lots everyday online. Sorry, no pics yet.

Can't wait to get a new hardtail (maybe even a 29er).

THANKS EVERYONE! :thumbsup:

Derrick

·
Registered
571 Posts
Thanks dude. I cut back on lots of bad carbs. All I really did was cut on fast food and SODA which turned out to be a big big deal, just ask anyone who did that. I lost 10lbs alone quitting soda. I only went to eat out once every week whatever I wanted. Everyday I ate breakfast (oatmeal) and a solid cooked dinner of chicken, potatoes, fish, fruit before 8pm. I can't stress how important it was to eat before 8pm! Of course Im adding some serious strenous mtb 3 day/week. I would go out on 6-8 mile loops on advanced hills as fast as I could.

·
Registered
13 Posts
really an inspiring thread! congrats to all!

no pics, but a quick rundown...

i was a tall skinny kid in high school, and super into mountain biking. in college i fell away from riding, my metabolism crashed, 10pm hot wing orders were the norm, and i packed on some pounds...6' 3" and topped out at about 230lbs. not too bad, but seeing the big german guts that ran in the men in m family, i decided when i turned 30 that i needed to get into shape, and kept on putting it off. 3 months before my 31th birthday i joined the gym, started going 3x a week, cutting calories to 2000 a day (my lunches were all subway 6" turkey subs, baked lays, and diet coke...lol!), stopped drinking non-diet soda, and gave myself one free day a week (that's probably how i was able to stick to it) i dropped down to 203lbs in about 6 months. but then i broke my elbow, which cut into my ability to work out, and then i started working 2 jobs...where the siren song of the starbucks mocha breve led me terribly astray for the academic year. but now i'm back at the gym...not doing my insane 6am 2 hour workout, but skipping lunch 3 days a week, and opting for a hardcore 60min workout, followed by a delicious lunch of chocolate myoplex protein shake, cajun hummus, and veggies. i was 226lbs when i got started back up 3 or 4 weeks ago, at 220 now. most importantly, i've been biking to work several times a week, have upgraded my trek 6000 hardtail to a gary fisher sugar 1 , and have been hitting the singletrack once a week. my goal is 195 (190 would be good too), and to do a race this fall. fortunately my wife is a runner, and is a huge help...

truly, many thanks to everyone who's shared their story here. its really helping my wavering.

ps-mocha breves have been limited to no more than 2 a week...its a slow process when a chocolate-y drink is like crack....lol!!!

·
Registered
115 Posts
i'm 37 years old, six foot six 200lbs.

8 months ago i was 230 lbs and my cholesterol and blood pressure were at stroke level.

i dropped my blood pressure 50 pts and dropped my cholesterol 100 pts by joining a gym, getting a personal trainer, dropping fried foods, eating whole foods at six meals a day and keeping a food journal of what i ate.

i also commute to work on my SS as much as i can.

i feel great and look forward to living a couple of years longer than i was going to in by previous condition.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Here I am, I have not lost as much as some but you guys keep me going!!!
Started on a kona shred, broke some parts and decided to upgrade to a kona stinky, it still needs some adjustments but its good so far.

Started at about 285 2 months ago( far left grey shirt)

this pic was taken 2 weeks ago at china camp weighing in at 250(on the right)

i am now at 240, i hurt my knee some how, so i am just trying to stay at 240 intill i can start riding again!!

Thanks for the inspiration!!!!

I just wanted to say thanks to my buddy scott(cbc on here) for helping me push myself when i needed it!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
from 265 at dec2006 to 188 by thanksgiving 2007

I pinched a nerve while trying to finish an installation of a SEARS WD that the so-called SEARS installers were supposed to do and I ended up calling a friend to come finish it. Realizing later I couldn't blame the pinched nerve in my back on my old injury, just my accumulated weight, I knew it was time to get serious about my weight. I had been up and down between 225 and 255, but reaching borderline obesity at 265 was the last straw.
Considering I had been somewhat of an athlete, twenty years earlier had only made my previous efforts rather one-sided :madman: Continuing to force athletic endeavors with a bad back, just caused more injuries and more time inside.
In 2007, I used Nutrisystem to teach myself the other side of my rehab. Eating right, more specifically more fruits and vegetables, less meats and carbs. This allowed me to lose weight with just powerwalking.
My back injury (compressed disk from removing brakedrum assembly from my boss's motor-home, on my own, in 1993) is still vulnerable, but the gut that I got from being off the bike for 15+ years among other athletic pursuits etc is now gone

At start of Nutrisystem wt loss journey, at 258 ( had lost a few since xmas)

October 10, 2007: about a month away from weight goal at 195

April 19 2008: Ran my first race in more than 15 years, 5K in 24:51 an 8min/mile pace

·
fnar fnar brrraaaaap
2,180 Posts
mdwebneck said:
I pinched a nerve while trying to finish an installation of a SEARS WD that the so-called SEARS installers were supposed to do and I ended up calling a friend to come finish it. Realizing later I couldn't blame the pinched nerve in my back on my old injury, just my accumulated weight, I knew it was time to get serious about my weight. I had been up and down between 225 and 255, but reaching borderline obesity at 265 was the last straw.
Considering I had been somewhat of an athlete, twenty years earlier had only made my previous efforts rather one-sided :madman: Continuing to force athletic endeavors with a bad back, just caused more injuries and more time inside.
In 2007, I used Nutrisystem to teach myself the other side of my rehab. Eating right, more specifically more fruits and vegetables, less meats and carbs. This allowed me to lose weight with just powerwalking.
My back injury (compressed disk from removing brakedrum assembly from my boss's motor-home, on my own, in 1993) is still vulnerable, but the gut that I got from being off the bike for 15+ years among other athletic pursuits etc is now gone

At start of Nutrisystem wt loss journey, at 258 ( had lost a few since xmas)

October 10, 2007: about a month away from weight goal at 195

April 19 2008: Ran my first race in more than 15 years, 5K in 24:51 an 8min/mile pace
WOW. Well done mate! This thread is inspirational.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
this realy isn't an "before and after" story... it's a before and during... at the beginning of this year i was as high as 335#... honestly i'm not sure exactly where i was as my scale only went up to 330... i started dropping weight in the spring simply by eating healthier and getting slightly more active... then i started cycling... i took this pic about a month into me back into cycling... that was back in June... 3 weeks ago i started the body for life program which is basicly proper diet with alternating weight training and cardio days a week with the 7th day a "free" day... my weight loss hasn't been amazing even durring the program but the pics speak for themselves...

for reference... the beginning pic was in 6/24/08 with a weight of 301#... the after was this last wed 9/24/08 with a weight of 299# (about a month after the 1st pic i gained about 10lbs due to moving back to FL)

basicly this post isn't to brag... i'm no where near where i want to be... and honestly there's nothing to brag about... it's to demonstrate a point... when working on weight loss don't rely on a scale.... look at the bigger picture... take measurments of your body, measure your body fat %... take pics of yourself... had i been looking at the scale i'd have not noticed these results... there is a significant difference in my upper abs... and my neck/chin (at least thats where i see the big changes)...

i'll keep plugging away.... i've got a lot of weight to loose but figured these pics might help keep some folks out there motivated :)

*edit* i just looked at my old BF% #'s from using my mayo tape... has me going from 33% to my current measurement 28% bf%... that puts me at a 5% drop while staying at nearly identical weight i know the BF% is wrong but the #'s hold consistently for a comparison...

good luck
mark

181 - 200 of 513 Posts