Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So there are threads for all the other bikes already and there are more and more Anthem 29rs showing up on the board with really cool builds that I would be into seeing.

I will start it off....

Anthem X2 29 Medium
XTR 2 x 10 drive train
38/26 front
11-36 rear
XTR Trail brakes
180mm rotors
Time ATAC XS pedals
Carbon post (vortex brand off ebay a few years old w stripped off logo)
Selle SLR Kit Carbonio Flow saddle
Woodman clamp
Answer ProTaper carbon bar (1/2" rise, 720mm wide)
Syntace Stem (90mm but may go to 100mm)
ESI chunky grips
Stans Crest wheels (HD hubs)
Hadley 10mm rear axle
Schwalbe Rocket Ron (tubeless w stans)

24.6lbs as shown ready to ride by the shop scale

on the stand

on the car

resting on the bench

·
Registered
3 Posts
What were you riding before? I currently have a Trance X1 and just finished a demo on a X29er 1 and i was amazed at well it climbed way better then my trance. My struggle is I rode the medium I am 5'8 and it felt big so now I am torn between the 26 and 29er anybody ahve a lot of time on both?I did love the bike though it rode super good! I may want to build my own to lighten it up some.:madman:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I had a 2009 Anthem X1 26. Funny that you said that the Medium rode big...I felt the same and went from a Large in the 26 to a Medium with the 29.

I rode the 29 X1 as well and really liked it but decided to get the X2, sell off all of the stock components new and build my own for a few reasons...

I wanted the new XTR 2x10 gearing
Stock seats do not agree with my stuff
The bars sweep felt odd to me
Not a fan of Avids
I like the black frame color better

Go for the 29 in the right size is my suggestion...you will love it I think.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Small Anthem x 29er with carbon Lefty...

Thank you Project 321 for the custom Crest polished wheels that match the frame!

Last time I weighed the bike was at 23.17lbs with pedals, since them I upgraded a few more things:

New Niner Carbon Flat top bar, Ti Crank Brother pedals, rear Ti QR, Magura Storm SL rotors...

Attachments

·
what a joke
2,280 Posts
The is my wife's medium X1. Only 4 days old. She has ridden a 7mile XC loop and a 30mile road loop.

She came off a GT iDrive Race with V-brakes. She says this so much smoother and rolls so much faster but needs more energy on short steep up hills.

I'm looking for some lighter faster tires for her.

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts

My medium X1. Only changes from stock are Time pedals (heavy..but indestructible...) and all reflectors have been removed. Only been on a couple of short rides, but the weather is starting to look better here, so hopefully the miles will be racked up quickly very soon! On my bathroom scale, with my (418gram) Time pedals she weighs in right at 27.2 lbs. My old 26" Trek hard tail (2010 Trek 4300 Disc) weighs right at 33.2 lbs, so I must say that this bike feels like a rocket ship to me! :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Here is mine, size Large. 22.48 without pedals and before the addition of Giant Carbon TCR bars....haven't weighed it complete yet...

Complete SRAM XX Build
Stan's Crest rims laced to American Classic hubs
Bontrager 29-0 tires
SDG I-Beam seat and stem
stock stem so far but not for long
Giant Carbon TCR Bar
Shimano XTR pedals

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
jreinan01 said:
PS...I'm totally jealous of you lefty guys, so unique and I didn't even think of it and am kicking myself now..
Seriously? I had only bad experience with cannondale suspension (in my case highest fatty model). Once even had to walk down from mountains, as fatty decided to loose air third time in just 3k kilometers distance. This last one was too much, so sold my caffeine and gave up “not standard” solutions only for good.
You may find appropriate thread and pictures in my account, I believe.

To cut it short – I would stay away from lefty. You can service any Rock Shox yourself, it takes 15-30 minutes and cost almost nothing. With lefty you get “some” different look at the expense of “not standard” solution, not to mention front wheel installation and bike installation in the car rack.

Don’t want to start any war (!) - just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
105 Posts
osobny said:
With lefty you get “some” different look at the expense of “not standard” solution, not to mention front wheel installation and bike installation in the car rack.
That's true I suppose, that is one of the very reasons that I didn't do a proprietary spoked wheel. Just like the unique, but there is something to the idea of being unique to a fault.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Trail Rocket

Me: 6'3" 210-220 lb
Size: XL
Weight: Frame 5.68 lb (includes shock, press-in BB, HS cups, SP collar)
Weight: Bike 26.45 lb (includes 4 oz Stans in each tire...puncturevine and cactus) 25.90 lb w/ no Stans
Fork: F29 RLC 100
Wheels: No Tubes ZTR Arch
Tires: Specialized The Captain & Fast Track
Drivetrain: 2X9 spd XT w/ 11-34 XTR cassette, SLX double ring F. Der., SLX shifters, 24-36 Truvative chainrings, BBG extralight bash
Cockpit: Thomson stem, Easton Carbon bar, KCNC seatpost, Specialized Phenom saddle, Candy pedals
Brakes: BB7 185, 160

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
All cleaned up my new X29 X3

How she looked after her first ride today

·
Registered
123 Posts

Please forgive me if I screw this up, this is my first picture posting....Here's a shot of my new bike, just before the maiden voyage....

1 - 20 of 66 Posts