Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
VENI VEDI BIKI
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry. I was making the comment towards the OP. This thread in Cyclocross forum is something I don't understand.
SOrry, did know where else to put it. There is no gravel forum, and many MTBers I know got their start in CX by converting old MTBs. Also, my CX bikes are used in gravel events.

By all means, move to a more appropriate forum. My apologies for wasting the 30 second it took you to open the thread.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
That's actually a really cool bike, details?
This is a bike I that I wanted to use in a variety of ways, I wanted to have as a design/build challenge and really, just have fun on. So its a Retro E-stay using Disc brakes so I could fit various wheels and 'tune' in to where I wanted to go in one Bike, and 5 minutes of wheel swapping.

It has a sizing of:

ETT = 600mm
Head Tube Angle = 71.5*
Seat Tube Angle = 75*
Wheel base = 1072mm
Chain Stays = 405mm
BB Drop = 40mm
Seat tube = 500mm

I run Hope Hubs and disc's, Shimano XTR/XT brakes/shifters/derailleurs.
E-thirteen MTB triple crankset, Crank Bros pedals, and DT Swiss rims in both 26" and 700c. I made the Handle bars as well. They cover all bases in use. Its a very enjoyable ride. And Fast. Weighs 10kg (22lb).

Eric

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
This is a bike I that I wanted to use in a variety of ways, I wanted to have as a design/build challenge and really, just have fun on. So its a Retro E-stay using Disc brakes so I could fit various wheels and 'tune' in to where I wanted to go in one Bike, and 5 minutes of wheel swapping.

It has a sizing of:

ETT = 600mm
Head Tube Angle = 71.5*
Seat Tube Angle = 75*
Wheel base = 1072mm
Chain Stays = 405mm
BB Drop = 40mm
Seat tube = 500mm

E-thirteen MTB triple crankset, Crank Bros pedals, and DT Swiss rims in both 26" and 700c. I made the Handle bars as well. They cover all bases in use. Its a very enjoyable ride. And Fast. Weighs 10kg (22lb).

Eric
Very nice.

·
Positively negative
2,288 Posts

It has a sizing of:

ETT = 600mm
Head Tube Angle = 71.5*
Seat Tube Angle = 75*
Wheel base = 1072mm
Chain Stays = 405mm
BB Drop = 40mm
Seat tube = 500mm

Eric
Sorry if this is a stupid question but what's the idea behing the stays?

Those bars are pretty close to something I have been contemplating for a while now. Somewhere between those and Jones Loops.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Those Chain Stays

Well, I saw them as a engineering challenge more than anything else. The frame design itself is not pretty. No E-stay frame that I have seen to date is very elegant, but I looked at this as a whole build and I felt that I could pull off a nice looking bike as it is now finished. Bottom Bracket breakage and Seat tubes cracking appear to be faults in this design, so I countered these issues in this build with sleeves and reinforcements in the critical areas. So far so good. I also like to look back into history and think 'what would a modern version of this design look like today' and create a contemporary bike that reflects this thinking. (I have a Bike cooking at the moment that has its roots in the 1900's). Fun project.

Eric

·
Registered
260 Posts

·
Positively negative
2,288 Posts
Got this bike free a while back and used it for a project I had been thinking about for awhile. Originally had some small block 8s and was intended to be a cheap adventure touring bike. Loaned it to a co-worker for a gravel grinder and he fell in love. He has been using it as a daily driver for about a year now.

XS Novara Piedra, Surly Troll fork, Thomson 410 post, Cowbell 2 bars, BB7s, Sram 10 speed drivetrain, and what was left of the original bike. Built mostly from the parts bin.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.