Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
robust, yet smooth
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to get this one nailed down and I've read the descriptions til I'm blue in the face. I could use some of those "pix=1000words" pix.

I'm trying to get the body weight centering visualized as it's just not coming to me.

Post 'em if ya got 'em.

gratzi,

-capt p

·
I wanna talk to Samson!
3,303 Posts
capt pearl said:
I'm trying to get this one nailed down and I've read the descriptions til I'm blue in the face. I could use some of those "pix=1000words" pix.

I'm trying to get the body weight centering visualized as it's just not coming to me.

Post 'em if ya got 'em.

gratzi,

-capt p
looking at pics of people and reading isnt going to help you learn. neither is sitting at the computer. just go outside and ride(like i want to)

·
I HUCK WITH CHUCK
1,319 Posts
First...learn to wheelie pretty much infinitely. (as in be able to keep yourself going by using the rear brake and pedaling). Then learn to coast a wheelie. Then learn to pull up a manual and just combine the skills, nothing will help other than practice, but being able to manual can make a little road ride a lot more interesting.

·
robust, yet smooth
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
definitely

Prechrysler said:
And it's damn impressive.
There's a guy in town who rides a wheelie everywhere. Very cool.

Well, as I stated, my wheelie is lacking and therefore my manual is cart-before-horse. I was hoping to grab some pix to try and get it strait in my head while I can't be on the bike. Or at the very least, to get a bit jazzed to try, try again.

thanks for the replies,

-capt p

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
capt pearl said:
There's a guy in town who rides a wheelie everywhere. Very cool.

Well, as I stated, my wheelie is lacking and therefore my manual is cart-before-horse. I was hoping to grab some pix to try and get it strait in my head while I can't be on the bike. Or at the very least, to get a bit jazzed to try, try again.

thanks for the replies,

-capt p
ThoughtfulPirates right pics arent really gonna help you much. You just gotta try again and again until you slowly improve. I personally suck at wheelies and manuals and cant hold either for more than about 15ft. Its all about learning to get to that balance point and learning how to stay in it with a few different variables coming in and being able to brake or pedal to stay there.

·
Sure-Fire 'Lectric
91 Posts
capt pearl said:

Post 'em if ya got 'em.

gratzi,

-capt p
Dude -- Wanna get manuals in your head? Get the Sprung 5 DVD and watch the EuroTrip segments -- Tristan Vienne and Julien Munier -- now those mofos can manual (they're also in the france segment of Third Down, and I'm sure other DVDs as well).

Have fun. Nowadays I have this recurring dream of riding manuals everywhere...weird.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Yup, manualling is what I'm on the verge of doing too. Doing so on a big bike isnt as easy as on a short-chainstay'ed hardtail.

I've been pulling wheelies everywhere i go. I've gotten to the point where I can ride a wheelie without pedaling... and just hang it there. On my Demo 9 that's pretty darned far back, because of the big-ass fork. You should be able to reach that point pretty easily. It didnt take me very long to learn where my balance point is.

Also.. different seat heights make it feel totally different too.

Good luck, and PRACTICE! :D

-matt

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
Manual pix are gonna look like

a still shot of a wheelie, pretty much. Granted there are those shots where an experienced eye can tell "it's a manual, buhddy".

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
man w/ one hand said:
a still shot of a wheelie, pretty much. Granted there are those shots where an experienced eye can tell "it's a manual, buhddy".
Except a manual is almost always standing up (never seen someone manual sitting down) and most people I know (myself included) wheelie sitting down. But I know what you mean, a standing wheelie looks different.

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
See...now there's one'e them experienced eyes....

The Kadvang said:
Except a manual is almost always standing up (never seen someone manual sitting down) and most people I know (myself included) wheelie sitting down. But I know what you mean, a standing wheelie looks different.
I was alluding to earlier. :D

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
The Kadvang said:
In the Evolve video (I think), in the end sequence, one of the riders (not Ryan Leech) pulls a manual on his trials bike for a very looong distance, standing up (like The Kadvang says), on what looks like flat ground (???), pretty cool anyway...

·
Registered
16 Posts
i wheelie standing up and can go about 100 feet, its hard to control the speed though for me, im working on coasting. Its hard to wheelie sitting for me though, cuz i keep my seat really low, cuz otherwise when i bunnyhop it hits me in the bottom of the sack

·
'18 Transition Sentinel
1,015 Posts
wheelie terminology: 'manual' vs 'automatic' ?

I've been wanting to be able to do coasting/non-pedaling wheelie, too.

By the way, which is which, between "manual" and "automatic"? :confused: I know one is with pedaling while the other isn't. I always forget which was which... :eek: I guess, counter-intuitively (to me?), "manual" is the non-pedaling one, correct?

Here's a pic I found on NSMB (Transition Preston FR review), with a little comment saying, "The author, manualling the Preston like a fool".

I've watched these, too...

https://www.trials-online.com/video/manual.mov
https://www.trials-online.com/video/wheelie.mov
https://www.trials-online.com/video/manual_lurch.mov

There's a guy in my town, too, who rides around on his Enduro (v-brake/front & disc/rear) in one-handed wheelie (pedaling & non-pedaling) at a nearby park, where I walk my dog to. I think he's there almost every weekend.

I guess it's difficult to do it on a XC full-sus rig with its seatpost fully extended for a climbing position...? I guess I'll have to extend my arms more & lean waaaaay back... With practice (and some more practice), I hope I can comfortably & stylishly do it someday (with seatpost still extended & with clipless pedals)...

Thanks,
- PiroChu

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.