Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
govt kontrakt projkt mgr
Joined
·
6,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was voted in the Grimey's as least likely to post about riding:D But we all have passion I believe no matter what we ride or how much or little. It's all good dirt and pave.

With retiring from the Army, moving, and working at a real job as a contract manager, I am having trouble finding the energy and time to ride 3 to 5 times a week like I did when i lived in texas last time. Oh, it's a nice, nice job and I'm finally about to become a home owner but sometimes I look at my cat licking chain lube off my bike and wonder if she loves the bike more than I get to:madman: :D

So let's see print screens of your ride logs people:thumbsup:
 

Attachments

·
Perpetually single track
Joined
·
3,175 Posts
ArmySlowRdr said:
well ya know it's the thing ya drop on d side of d trail when ya ate a burrito for breakfast and now ya's turnin' green round the gills at the first sign of a minuscle incline:eek:
Whew. For a second there I thought you were talking about keeping track of every ride you did. Scared me for a second.
 

·
paintbucket
Joined
·
2,825 Posts
I list all my rides in a notebook, and sometimes include pics from the rides if they're especially notable. Lately I've also been using bikejournal.com.
 

·
amar la vida de dos niner
Joined
·
2,682 Posts
whatever it takes

ArmySlowRdr said:
I was voted in the Grimey's as least likely to post about riding:D But we all have passion I believe no matter what we ride or how much or little. It's all good dirt and pave.

With retiring from the Army, moving, and working at a real job as a contract manager, I am having trouble finding the energy and time to ride 3 to 5 times a week like I did when i lived in texas last time. Oh, it's a nice, nice job and I'm finally about to become a home owner but sometimes I look at my cat licking chain lube off my bike and wonder if she loves the bike more than I get to:madman: :D

So let's see print screens of your ride logs people:thumbsup:
As a personal trainer and fitness coach, I have come across many types of people. And the need to quantify and record is very strong in certain personality types. If looking back over that log helps in any way, go for it.

As for your riding slump, either it's going to pass, or your new way of life is going to forever change how you went about doing things. If it's the latter, then re-evaluate your schedule and find some *new* way to arrange your time (perhaps less travelling to ride?) to allow for what is important to you: riding your mountain bike.

Good luck!
clair
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,083 Posts
Seriously, less spread sheet time and more saddle time :D or do like me and get a HRM that records it all for you, then you can easily play with all kinds of neat graphs :p
 

Attachments

·
Read Only
Joined
·
0 Posts
I'm going to be in a similar situation. My wife is expecting our first child early next year and I'm worried about my riding time, AMONG OTHER THINGS. I've come to he conclusion that I'm going to have to ride during my lunch hour. This may be what I need to lose this weight and save money by not eating out.

Good luck ArmySlowRdr working in your workouts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
721 Posts
Question: how is what other people ride going to motivate you to ride? I tend to find that sort of thing to be de-motivational.

Just get out and ride your bike. Don't worry about speed, heartrate, etc. etc. just yet. Who cares if it's an hour and you only went downhill? Any ride is better than no ride, in my opinion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
478 Posts
Very interesting thread. I like your spreadsheet, ArmySlowRdr, and have used a similar one for logging my riding in the past. It's fun to look back on some endorphin-enriching rides. wooglin and LyNx, I like your suggestions as well. Nice photos in this thread as well. So, how many others log their rides? -GT2005
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,376 Posts
I use bikejournal also to record the info. And with my Garmin Forerunner their Training Center software will take care of everything else.

Geoladders (most So Cal, though growing quickly) is good, but you have to remember to put the rides in right away. Forgot and now my vacation rides in CO won't load since it's been more than a week. Though it does keep track of annual mileage, calories, and ascent.
 

·
desert dweller
Ventana El Ciclon
Joined
·
1,644 Posts
I use bikejournal to record my rides. I started doing it last year to see how much I ride each year. It is kinda neat to see how I progress. I track elevation data, max speed, avg speed, some various notes -- for example I set a new speed record this morning and got stung by a bee on my road ride. I also use a HRM and record Calories burned -- maybe someday I'll start using the training tools as well. It is fun to look through to journal months later.

Here is my record for July (so far).

mbb
 

Attachments

·
govt kontrakt projkt mgr
Joined
·
6,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks

Thanks Clair--I think after mid-Sept I will find more time. This contract has my company taking over full food svc in 5 dining halls previously run by the Army between now and mid-Sept. After everything is operating efficiently all should be okay again.:thumbsup:

scorpionwoman said:
As a personal trainer and fitness coach, I have come across many types of people. And the need to quantify and record is very strong in certain personality types. If looking back over that log helps in any way, go for it.

As for your riding slump, either it's going to pass, or your new way of life is going to forever change how you went about doing things. If it's the latter, then re-evaluate your schedule and find some *new* way to arrange your time (perhaps less travelling to ride?) to allow for what is important to you: riding your mountain bike.

Good luck!
clair
 

·
govt kontrakt projkt mgr
Joined
·
6,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks

It's the same 1 I've been using since '99. By enetering the right formulas I can average up by venue, type of bike blah blah--I suppose the proper tool would be Access or something similar, but I just like excel. I suppose after the next iteration of the garmin Edge comes out I might spring for it and do the fancier motion based website stuff.

GT2005 said:
Very interesting thread. I like your spreadsheet, ArmySlowRdr, and have used a similar one for logging my riding in the past. It's fun to look back on some endorphin-enriching rides. wooglin and LyNx, I like your suggestions as well. Nice photos in this thread as well. So, how many others log their rides? -GT2005
 

·
govt kontrakt projkt mgr
Joined
·
6,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hmm

Thanks.

I think once my house is built by Nov and i get my schtuff outta permanent storage from the govt wharehouse in Belencia, CA and have it shipped here i'll have no excuse. I'll have access to my cyclops fluid 3 trainer again and with an every 3d day regiment of pushup/situp/flutter licks and the like and laying off bad foods I should lose weight and energize--even with only 1 or 2 outdoor rides a week.

mopartodd said:
I'm going to be in a similar situation. My wife is expecting our first child early next year and I'm worried about my riding time, AMONG OTHER THINGS. I've come to he conclusion that I'm going to have to ride during my lunch hour. This may be what I need to lose this weight and save money by not eating out.

Good luck ArmySlowRdr working in your workouts.
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top