Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are some really cool single speeds out there now under $1000 that will give 95% of the ride of bikes many times that price. Hard to not consider them. As such, I checked out a couple at my local shop....felt great but as expected not light. I am curious if there are other weights floating around you wouldn't mind posting for completeness.

21" Redline Flight 29er = 27.3 lbs
19" Kona Unit 2-9 = 27.1 lbs

both of these looked very, very nice by the way.

I believe my almost stock Inbred 29er was about 26 lbs or a tad under

(should have weight the monocog 29er they had too)

Jamis Exile 29er = ?
Haro Mary = ?
Raleigh XXIX = ?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
My 18 inch Karate Monkey weighed 26.5 lbs. But I am making a few modifications and waiting on a few parts...it might actually be heavier when I am done. It is all about fun and comfort though....

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fast Freddy said:
do you want weights of custom built bikes? Like my Haro Mary or Niner One9 - as I bought framesets and built up from there....

FF
my intent was to get stock complete bike build weights as those are what we all have access to but of course, in the name of fun, post away.

with the builds all so similar across the sub 1000 complete singles, i was curious if there was a similar weight across them or if one of them by chance is considerably lighter is all.

·
Just hit it with speed
480 Posts
FoShizzle said:
wow...that sounds lighter than i would have guessed for sure
Yea I agree when compared to the others. They hung it up like you would to weigh fruit in the grocery store. :D At the time I was a little surprised thinking no gears ha! its gotta be light. After hearing other weights and compiling a list of current parts and potential new parts it sounds about right. Through a spreadsheet I can account for about 21 lbs of that, but have no idea of the bolts, cables, tubes and so on. After looking at the parts I'd like to put on Thomson seatpost/stem, king headset, MAYBE carbon bars, the savings in weight compared to what I'd have to spend is absurd. I'd rather save my money and buy a decent used road bike or take a weekend trip to VA or week trip to Pisgah than save 1 pound. I lost about 200 grams in switching from SPD v EggBeaters and ditching the Bontrager Select saddle to new Serfas that saved another 200 grams all for less than $100. At this point I am probably only going to upgrade as things wear out or if a drastically light, cheap and new product comes out! The ratio of 4 grams saved per dollar spent I'm happy with but I just don't see anywhere else I could make those savings!

·
Don't be a sheep
3,445 Posts
FoShizzle said:
huh? these are sub $1000 bikes....what do you expect, regardless of wheelsize?
I'm just not seeing much value in these niche bikes especially with these very pedestrian steel frames and mediocre parts spec.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
That is funny stuff...

Rivet said:
Sweet, fully rigid singlespeeds that weigh 3lbs more than my geared FS, where do I sign up. :rolleyes:
but makes a very valid point. My xl ss Soma Juice weighs 23.5 lbs with a WB bw.8 fork and pedals. Not crazy light but @ 250 lbs neither am I .;)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Cheap and heavy, i mean upgradable, Bikes

I have a Unit 2-9 that I am currently upgrading and am glad it came heavy. I would rather buy a bike that is cheaper with heavier parts that I can ride until I decide to upgrade. The other option is buying one for a lot more money, and though it will come with lighter parts they still probably won't be exactly what you want and you'll end up upgrading anyway, spending more money while not saving much weight. Plus with the market for used parts you can't come close to recouping what the stock semi-lightweight parts were worth. Buy a bike cheap, spec it out exactly how you want it over time, and you still have something to ride in the meantime.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Rivet said:
Sweet, fully rigid singlespeeds that weigh 3lbs more than my geared FS, where do I sign up. :rolleyes:
And I wouldn't give up either one to have your geared FS...I suspect you wouldn't want to trade either......

Not trying to incite an argument here, but I don't understand what you are hoping to achieve with a response like that.

·