Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted everyone who had fun riding that day or who even thought it looked like fun to know that it has caused the usual BACKLASH against off road cyclist.

But that is OK because it can be turned into an opportunity in San Francisco to get better Bike Parks with pump tracks, and Jumps, and ladders and all sorts of sweet stuff.

SF Urban Riders is working in partnership with IMBA to offers solutions to these issues.
The SF Rec & Park Dept is interested in holding talks about it - Please stay tuned to our website for big news.

I wont bore you with too much preaching.... but i will leave you with an easy sample letter you can CUT PASTE & EMAIL to our SF Rec & Park managers

jared.blumenfeld.sfgov.org
[email protected]

SAMPLE RESPONSE LETTER - COPY AND PASTE

Dear SF Rec & Park

As a proud cyclist and a citizen of San Francisco I am concerned with the fact that there is Not One Acre of SF RPD land that is dedicated to recreational cycling. In comparison there are Six Municipal Golf Courses using more than 500 Acres and another 125 Acres dedicated to Off Leash Dog Parks.

Recreational Cycling and access to Open Space Trails also both ranked extremely high in the 2004 SFRPD Recreational Assesment Report ( Pages 17-18).

With the inflamed allegations of off road cycling being destructive, illegal, and unworthy of inclusion into our Open Space Planning I feel the need to say I SUPPORT ALL TYPES OF BICYCLES IN OUR PARKS.

We look forward to an Open Discussion about these issues

(Your Name Here)

·
Old man on a bike
12,389 Posts
To clarify, would letters from all over, not just residents of San Francisco, help out? I'm sending one anyways. Thanks for all the great work to you and the whole SFUR gang!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
of course general letters of support would be appreciated as well, since you do visit and spend money here so you are a demographic that needs to be served.

It is just super important for us City slickers to show our numbers.

I think we all want some cool stuff so we can play at home!

Spread the Word

·
ROOOOOOOO
1,669 Posts
I heard there may have been some backlash about us going through the park at the bottom of Diamond Heights, but thats about it.

Oh, and the angry Prius. It's kind of like an angry bee.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Hey, can you be more specific about the complaints coming in? There's always a group of people that are going to complain. And to be honest, a 100+ bikes on the trails is going not going to go unnoticed. But is it just a bunch of hot air, or is there potential for actual fallout from the complaints? Not that SF has any resources to enforce anything...

BTW, from what I understand, the multi-use trail segments above UCSF (Mt. Sutro area) are being built and maintained by a stewardship group that includes many (if not a majority) of mountain bikers.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Fallout is Real - A letter was sent out by Lisa Wayne of the SF Rec & Park Natural Areas Progam. They manage any natural park like Twin Peaks, Mount Davidson, Glen Canyon, Bernal Height, McLaren PArk... A Lot of Acreage!

I believe soil saloon posted a copy of it - check there.

Yes Fact are distorted - But that is pretty normal in these situations and the emotion is the hardest part to work thru.

Yes The Mount Sutro property is Open To Bikes... SF Urban Riders is working with the MOUNT SUTRO STEWARDS on those .... but we still need to act responsible and VOLUNTEER to keep the place maintained.

SF Rec & Park WANT TO TALK ABOUT THESE ISSUES... SO LETS LET THEM KNOW WE ARE INTERESTED IN FINDING COMMON GROUND.

WE ARE TALKING IN A FEW WEEKS!!!!!!!!

I am in touch with SF Urban Riders and will keep everyone informed
They are busy as you might imagine and will update their site soon.

SF FLOW VIDEO
Use this link for the video:
http://www.deltavelo.com/08_race_videos/misc_videos/sf_flow.html

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
This is the latest in Emails being sent out by some groups that are focused on Open Space. We dont want to destroy Nature - just play in it.

Nature in the City MEDIA ALERT
Ecologically Destructive Bicycle Race

As if economic collapse, massive budget deficits, and continued Bush Administration attempts to gut the Endangered Species Act aren't enough, last weekend San Francisco's parks and natural areas were the scene of a massive act of ecological destruction.

"The participants in this bicycle event are so innocent--but to those of us who have been dedicating our lives to preserving the biological values of these areas, the race is anything but. The destructiveness of this activity is beyond describing, undoing what thousands of hours of our labor have accomplished, not to mention tens of thousands of years on the part of nature. It's gone." - Jake Sigg

See the SF Flow video of this uncontrolled and un-permitted mountain bike race. Websites for information about the race, held on November 16th, and attended by 400 people, include:

SF Dirt Lab

Soil Saloon

Flickr Images

Map of the Route

You know, it's ironic. Earlier today, I was cycling home with my two boys from school, and they were jumping, astride their little mountain bikes, off of every curb they could find. And now here I am, railing against 400 people who were just out to have a good time, by jumping their bikes along trails, free from the constant danger of death machines (automobiles).

But just like it's my job to teach my children how to ride safely on city streets, and to advocate for a reclaiming of the built environment for people, as opposed to cars, it's equally my job to be the voice for what's left of our great city's nature and biodiversity. And my friends, it ain't much. So I really hope that media, policy-makers and bicycle enthusiasts, particularly mountain bikers of course, will see reason and see that - just like McCain vs. Obama - we have a clear choice: 1. We take care of San Francisco's natural heritage, which includes making the necessary public investment to manage and monitor biodiversity, as well as recruit volunteer stewards and pursue aggressive local environmental education, or 2. We continue, as we have since the Spanish took the land from the Ohlone, to treat the Franciscan bioregion as something to be exploited, neglected, and dominated.

I'm actually hopeful because I imagine that the bicycle community in general is a more reasonable bunch than, for example, the off-leash dog walking advocates, who practically pushed through the tall glass windows of the Presidio's Golden Gate Club, during a GGNRA public meeting a few years back. After all, isn't the city's bicycle community in general a cultural ecological revolutionary bunch, who, in addition to wanting to take back the streets, become traffic, and drastically decrease our reliance on fossil fuels, they want to enjoy the wind in their hair, views of the bay, and smelling sweet wildflowers instead of diesel fumes?

Perhaps, but just like we will likely have strong resistance to licensing for-profit commercial dog walkers on our public lands, it's certain that some subset of the mountain biking community will be resistant to any control whatsoever of their urban eco-(destructive) transportation adventures.

The wholesale disconnection of us - people, from nature - all other things not produced by us, means that we feel that we are somehow separate from nature, and that we can just go about our business, and everything will be just fine. Not true, and what we at Nature in the City attempt to do is to break down the false, historical dichotomy between humans and the rest of nature, so that we can restore positive relationships with native plants and animals, and literally re-inhabit the land in ways that respect the other members of the natural world.

But we can't do this as a young scrappy, non-profit organization working with a few individual citizens. We need your help, the help of the media and the help of the City's decision-makers - politicians and department heads - to prioritize, finally, the conservation, restoration and stewardship of San Francisco's natural heritage.

Last weekend's bicycle race would not have happened if, as a City, we were more advanced in how we treat our natural landscapes. We need financial, human, and infrastructure resources to protect, steward and interpret nature in the city for future generations of young mountain bikers, naturalists, and dog lovers alike.

The race went through endangered species habitat at Twin Peaks, McLaren Park and San Bruno Mountain, and through rich California native grasslands at Bernal, Mt. Davidson, and Glen Canyon, special natural places in the heart of San Francisco.

-Peter Brastow

·
Premium Member
6,091 Posts
BigWheel28 said:
Ecologically Destructive Bicycle Race

As if economic collapse, massive budget deficits, and continued Bush Administration attempts to gut the Endangered Species Act aren't enough, last weekend San Francisco's parks and natural areas were the scene of a massive act of ecological destruction.

"The destructiveness of this activity is beyond describing, undoing what thousands of hours of our labor have accomplished, not to mention tens of thousands of years on the part of nature. It's gone." - Jake Sigg

will see reason and see that - just like McCain vs. Obama - we have a clear choice:

just like we will likely have strong resistance to licensing for-profit commercial dog walkers on our public lands, it's certain that some subset of the mountain biking community will be resistant to any control whatsoever of their urban eco-(destructive) transportation adventures.

-Peter Brastow
Look at the quotes I pulled out from Mr. Brastow's letter. He is an extreme left wing environmentalist. His letter has no scientific support, just his ramblings of how he feels things should be. There is no factual support for his claims of utter destruction or the thousands of hours of work that has supposedly been put in to restore the area. I assure you he writes to the City regularly and they view his letters for what they are, the comments of an extremist, not the mainstream.

The proposed response letter is a great idea, shows the demand for mountain bike trails.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree some rhetoric pushed extremism.... But he also runs a organization called
NATURE IN THE CITY

www.natureinthecity.org

They ALSO work closely with the Mount Sutro Project and are connected to the Sierra Club and others.

What they need is to some good education on bike culture and be talked down off the ledge.

·
low speed, high drag
317 Posts
Natural places in SF? Uhm, isn't about 70% of the city just a big sand dune? Some valid points made, and at least he has some respect for the sport. I'd still like to see evidence of this damage...These are really just small XC trails manageable on HT's and even rigids. I don't think a lot of guys are bringing their big bikes around here. I'm thinking what this guy really wants is a little sanctuary to himself where he can feel like he's a pioneering naturalist in a distant mountain range. Maybe that's a little over the top, but so was his letter...

·
Coors, the american beer.
3,533 Posts
hippies suck .... sf wont let you guys ride and chico wont let us disc golf.

·
just another bleepin SSer
1,454 Posts
I sent an email. Chaged (personalized) the wording some:

Jared Blumenfeld & Lisa Wayne
McLaren Lodge & Annex
501 Stanyan Street
San Francisco, CA 94117

Dear Jared and Lisa,

As a proud cyclist and a citizen of San Francisco, I am concerned that there isn't much land that allows recreational mountain biking. 6 golf courses, and lots of parks allowing off leash dogs. But not much trails open for biking.

Recreational cycling and access to Open Space Trails also both ranked extremely high in the 2004 SFRPD Recreational Assessment Report ( Pages 17-18).

There was a recent mountain bike ride that toured the few trails that are open, and I have heard through the grapevine that there have been complaints about this. I am writing to counter these complaints, and show my support for increasing access for bikes in SF parks. Mountain biking is an environmentally sound use of the lands.

Peter
Russian Hill

·
Registered
541 Posts
I was actually a little disturbed to see the footage of riders going off trail to avoid the stairs in Glen Canyon, tearing up the slope. If you're up for riding the stairs/rocks, then great, but otherwise it would probably be better to walk.

Our community is judged by any video that is publicly posted. The majority of the ride was on pavement, and of the rest, almost all of it was on durable, well maintained trails. Unfortunately, the one steep section in Glen Canyon made for dramatic footage, so that was included in the video.

OK, I'm off to compose an email to the SF parks people.

·
ol'guy who says hi &waves
2,546 Posts
kpd said:
I was actually a little disturbed to see the footage of riders going off trail to avoid the stairs in Glen Canyon, tearing up the slope. If you're up for riding the stairs/rocks, then great, but otherwise it would probably be better to walk.

Our community is judged by any video that is publicly posted. The majority of the ride was on pavement, and of the rest, almost all of it was on durable, well maintained trails. Unfortunately, the one steep section in Glen Canyon made for dramatic footage, so that was included in the video. ...................
Agree totally and guilty. I walked that section, but not using the stairs, and my butt stayed in the saddle on the narrow off camber trail... my bad.

It's too bad that 30ft. stair section is used to represent the 30 mile ride.

After reading the embellished anti Flow reports regarding rider numbers and damage, left me shaking my head and thinking...SF a nice place to visit.

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
fred-da-trog said:
Agree totally and guilty. I walked that section, but not using the stairs, and my butt stayed in the saddle on the narrow off camber trail... my bad.

It's too bad that 30ft. stair section is used to represent the 30 mile ride.

After reading the embellished anti Flow reports regarding rider numbers and damage, left me shaking my head and thinking...SF a nice place to visit.
What about the offer from the riders and organizers to make that section right? If so short, can't take that much work.

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
I have a suspicion that

most of this sort of response is simply alarm at experiencing bikes at times and in places by people simply unaccustomed to it. Until they get used to the idea there is going to be a lot of blow-back. How we handle that is key to the ultimate success of inserting bikes into the community.

So....be ambassadors at all times.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Whoa, you guys missed the point so bad its frightening.
Some people really blew it.
The people responding are well accustomed to self righteous and myopic agendas on many sides.
It's a town with shared trails, that were hard won and maintained by hard working folks who also like to bike.
Too bad their legitimate complaints were met with knee jerk, head up the arse denial and excuses.
Enviros and hippies? Get real, please.
People on the ride that was supposedly unorganized did some real damage to habitat. Was that a small percentage of the ride? yes, was it an acceptable amount of wear and tear? hell no!
When there is no accountability on a "race" like that, then unfortunately we are all accountable.
The real damage was done to the fabric of alliances between bicyclists and open space resource managers.
A demand for urban mountain bike trails just lost a whole lot a credibility.
It's like you stealing $20 from yo' mammas purse and saying it was her fault, and that you deserve a bigger allowance.
A few of the people on that ride really screwed up and signed your name to it with out asking you.
Rant at them, not the ones who have to now go clean up some of the mess.

Ambassadors at all time, I totally agree!

·
Totally, and to the max.
2,555 Posts
All the more reason I'm glad I don't live in the People's Republic of San Francisco. Way too many over-sensitive pansies for my taste.

It's only going to get worse!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts