Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I searched because I thought there would be a thread exclusively on FSRxc bikes, but I must be missing it or this isn't one at all.

I just bought a used 2005 XC Comp and the original owner only rode it for less than 300 miles. He mainly is a road rider and tried mountain biking, but didn't like it.

I'm looking to make some upgrades and I'm just curious to see what other people are doing to their FSRxc. Any recommendations on what should be upgraded first? Please post your FSRxc bikes. I want to see them! Thank you! :D

·
Registered
560 Posts
Here's mine, with a few upgrades.....
Thomson stem and set-back seatpost, Hayes Nine Carbon discs, ABR Carbon riser, and some custom engraved stuff.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nixgame22: Which Thomsom stem is on your FSRxc? Cool idea to get engraving done. Did you get that done at a cart at the mall?
Onegymrat: Looks almost exactly like mine except my front fork shocks are stock. How did those Fox RLs work with the FSRxc?

I see that Thomson seatpost on a lot of bikes. Should I consider getting one?

·
Registered
934 Posts
Hey Jay, the stock Manitou Splice Elite broke twice during the first 6 months. Getting it back from the manu just took too long. Got the Fox 100RL and it was so much smoother. Had no problems with the fork for 1.5 years now. It really improved the enjoyment of my ride. I pulled it off and am using it on my Epic now. Other changes included:

Thomson stem and seatpost
Avid BB7 with Speed Dial SL levers
Shimano XT cassette, shifters, front & rear derailleur
Mavic Crossmax ST disc
Panaracer Fire XC UST
Shimano 540 pedals
Race Face Deus low riser bar
Phenom saddle

Last weigh-in was at 28.09 lbs.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Coop29 said:
Did your mudflap actually help, or was it more of a gimmick? I've been thinking about getting one.
Yes, absolutely helps! There are many stream crossings at my default trail so I get all sorts of crud on there. It is worth the $16 investment. Go for it!

And please don't do the "home-made" flaps from old plastic containers that I've seen on this site. Really weird that some riders will spend $2k+ on their bikes but will try and save $16 on this.

·
Registered
560 Posts
JAYMATIK said:
Nixgame22: Which Thomsom stem is on your FSRxc? Cool idea to get engraving done. Did you get that done at a cart at the mall?

I see that Thomson seatpost on a lot of bikes. Should I consider getting one?
The stem is a Thomson Elite X4. Since that pic, I swapped it out with a 10degree rise, and am happier with it.
The engraved pieces I actually sourced on this site, as I questioned another member about his. This is where I went...
https://www.purelycustom.com/default.aspx

I went with a Thomson seatpost because of their history of making light, strong seatposts, but also I wanted a "setback" style.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.