Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
NEWBIE WAN KENOBI
357 Posts
here's mine !

cheap, strong and can be all purchased at home depot.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

please dont be jockin hahahha just kidding.

1" body and base so it strong enough to hold anything, and im actually thinking of converting to an adjustable version.

i wish i took a some pics with it holding a complete dh bike.

·
Bike Hustler
822 Posts
I'm totally over home made stands. I figure I could be into a nice park tools stand by now with all the nickels and dimes I've dropped on hardware store ghetto stands that dont hold up to real wrenching.

that being said... NWK's up above looks decently solid. Way better than my efforts!

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Newbie Wan Kenobi said:
hahha ! it's my dad's van..

i rock a 4x4 nissan xterra by the way.
How are those gas prices treatin ya? ;) I drive a 4x4 Jeep Liberty and it sucks. I'd take a pink toyota prius with purple and white heart and unicorn stickers all over it any day.

Back on topic though, sweet stand NWK!

·
Registered
94 Posts
why not just buy a stand?
I've got a nice Ultimate stand that folds up nicely for storage and can hold my DH bike no problem. the head swivels 360 degrees and can grab frame tubes and seat tubes as well.
did I mention they're like 60 or 70 bucks?
not worth building your own.

·
NEWBIE WAN KENOBI
357 Posts
yeah gas price sucks !

i dont even drive my car anymore that's why u dont see it in the background lolz.

yeah, im kinna done with "do it yourself stand" like what the guy said above, with all the money i dropped from the first build and second one i could've used all that the money and bought a real work stand.

yeah ! it sucks to have the DIY mentality, coz i can't seem to go around it.
if i can do it, i dont buy it mentality.

ultimate stand $70 at jensonusa.com or buy a used 1 at craigslist

·
Registered
94 Posts
A little testy there tlg?......"Anything you can do yourself is worth doing.
If you're not a DIY'er, you may not understand."

while your quote made me laugh you couldn't actually be more wrong, I'm pretty dam handy. I also happen to know when to pick my battles. One of the best purchases I ever made was a quality bike stand. I tried hanging bikes from a rope in the garage and cobbling a bunch of things together, no dice. buy a stand, spend your home-built efforts elsewhere, like building bikes... with your new stand

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=16674&page=ULTIMATE+BICYCLES+RECREATIONAL+REPAIR+STAND

·
(enter witty phrase here)
2,250 Posts
Wax said:
A little testy there tlg?
Not at all.

I built my first stand from 2x4's. Cost under $20 and took about 2hrs. It was rock solid.

I also happen to know when to pick my battles.
Agreed, I've seen quite a few DIY stands that were far from worth the effort and cost.

One of the best purchases I ever made was a quality bike stand.
Same here. I picked this one up for free :thumbsup: Some guy walks up to me one day at Performance Bike shop and asked if I wanted a bike stand. :skep: All I had to do is pick it up at his house 1mi away. I was a little skeptical. But it turns out he was moving and just wanted to get rid of it. Score!

·
NEWBIE WAN KENOBI
357 Posts
1" tubes for downhill / freeride bikes
3/4" for xc / all mountain.

1 - 1" by 48" or 54" tube for the body
2 - 1" by 18" for the base
1 - 1" 3 way connector or elbow ( whatever you call it ) to hold the body and the base together.
1 - 1" by 3/4" elbow connector for the arm. ( ill tell you why later )
1 - 3/4" clamp ( tool section ) of homedepot
1 - 2 by 2 piece of wood - draw a circle a size of your seatpost in the middle, cut the wood in half then dremel the half circle outline on both.
if you dont have dremel to use, i suggest you draw a diamond shape in the middle a cut it with a saw.

as far as the clamp goes they only come in 3/4" thats why u need a 1" by 3/4" elbow connector to hold the arm and the body together, make sure to buy the 1 that has square metal clamps not the circular ones because you are not gonna be able to drill those wholes for the custom wood holders.

that's it ! you can also make it adjustable by buying 1" x 24" tubes and 3/4" x 24" tubes. you basically put the smaller tubes inside and use a bike clamp to hold it for adjustments.

shhh dont tell this secret to anyone ! hahaha

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.