Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What chainring/cassette combinations are you running? (Give details)
What type of trails do you ride?
What bike is it on?
Any problems with the set-up? (likes/dislikes)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Camber Elite 29er 2011, standard 32 tooth front,34-11 rear rings
I am more of a XC style rider. I enjoy steady ups and downs along with undulating terrain. My main motive is to exercise my dog :thumbsup:

I still have the front derailleur on because I can't for the life of me find a cheap direct mount Chain guide. MRP wants $189NZD which is ludicrous. I have a press fit BB. I am open to any cheap solutions. As I can buy a light weight proper derailleur for less then a chain guide :rolleyes:

XX Front Derailleur: $169NZD
MRP Post mount Chain Guide: $189NZD

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
438 Posts
Salsa El Mariachi

Xt 780 gs derailleur
Xt cassette 11-36
Xt shifter
Salsa 32t chainring
Paul chain keeper

I like it a lot! Much less chain slap than my previous 1x9 with a long cage. I ride the rocky trails of AZ climbing and descending and find the range to be great. Sometimes I'll be a little more tired after a climb than I'm used to...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Camber Elite 29er 2011, standard 32 tooth front,34-11 rear rings
I am more of a XC style rider. I enjoy steady ups and downs along with undulating terrain. My main motive is to exercise my dog :thumbsup:

I still have the front derailleur on because I can't for the life of me find a cheap direct mount Chain guide. MRP wants $189NZD which is ludicrous. I have a press fit BB. I am open to any cheap solutions. As I can buy a light weight proper derailleur for less then a chain guide :rolleyes:

XX Front Derailleur: $169NZD
MRP Post mount Chain Guide: $189NZD

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Try Superstar components, $40 NZD delivered, hold a chain as well as MRP as well, and easier to set up.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
Not to hi-jack, but was about to open another thread otherwise to get fresh info (been out of the game)

I'd also be interested to learn what people are buying nowadays for a dedicated 1XX setup.
For year's I've been eyeing the Truvativ GXP singlespeed, 850g complete. €120 incl VAT.

I'm looking to use an oval 38t Rotor chainring I bought years ago. Vertical oscillation of the chain in the chainguid. It's for a first generation Fisher Superfly I need to be budget-conscious about.

Thanks!

·
******-fied facsimiles
399 Posts
I have been running 1x whatever for about 4 years now, my new 1x10 set up takes the cake so far. Typical Idaho rider, gotta go up to come down, I consider my style agressive all mountain even though I hate to label my riding style.
x9 short cage
x9 shifter
mrp g2sl
32t
sram 1080 cassette
sram 1091 hollow pin chain

Attachments

·
Registered
508 Posts
What chainring/cassette combinations are you running?
32t 11/34 with either an E13 BB mount guide or a Pauls Chainkeeper (if I need to go lower than 32t).

What type of trails do you ride?
A combination of smooth flowing singletrack, super technical rocky trails. No massive Colorado style climbs though, once a year I do a race with some epic climbs... I mount a smaller gear for that race only.

What bike is it on?
MootoXybb

Any problems with the set-up? (likes/dislikes)
None.

Attachments

·
Full fledged member
74 Posts
34t Race Face single. XT crank. Paul chainkeeper.
11-36 Sram cassette. X9 short derailleur. X7 shifter. Sram chain.
I run various types of trails. Depends on the mood I am in. The 11-36 gives me all the gearing I need for everything I ride. The 36t is nice to have in the rear.
No issues with the setup. It was fun to put it together and the Paul was easy enough to setup. I was ridding for a few months without a chain guide. The chain never fell off. On two separate occasions with the Paul the chain bounced off but was caught by the chainkeeper and all I did was pedal forward and the chain was back on. My 34t single is setup where the midde ring would be. That is the max size my frame will allow. If I went to 36t I would have to put it on the outer side of the spider. I will probably always go 1x from now on.

·
Appalachian Singletrack'n
1,444 Posts
Custom Bystickel
Race Face Turbine crank with titanium Home Brew 31t ring and Straitline silent chain guide.
XTR shiftier, XT rear derailure, 11-36 XX cassette, Sram 1080 chain.
Shifted perfectly and dead silent since built never lost a chain or jamed.
I'm a long time singlespeeder who's knees and fitness needed a rest. This gearing has been great.

·
Not smart enough to shift
454 Posts
Tallboy

I've got a Tallboy here. I'm a long time single speeder and 1x rider. Started off with 1x9 on a Heckler a while ago. Lived out West in SoCal for four years with this set-up and now back in the good ol' Midwest. So the 1x set-up isn't just for us flatlanders.

X9 shifter and short cage rear der.
XT 11-36 cassette
32T ring
MRP G2 SL mini guide
* Will be switched to just top guide when the clutch Sram mech. comes out.

Wife's hardtail.

Stylo cranks with Boone 28T spiderless chainring
11-34 PG990 cassette
XO trigger and X9 short cage
Chopped and polished Rohloff guide

Cheers,
Andy

·
Not smart enough to shift
454 Posts
Thank you if you were talking about ours. :thumbsup:

Here is an old picture of the Heckler. That bike went through a ton of different builds. This was the way it was for the last ~1.5 years I had it. It had seen trails all over the West coast. Arizona, Oregon, Utah, Colorado, and California. You can climb on a 1x.

Raw 5th gen Heckler with short shock
32 ring
Gamut guide
11-34 XT cassette
XO trigger and rear der.

·
Registered
251 Posts
What chainring/cassette combinations are you running? 11-34 Cassette, eThirteen 34T Ring and Chain Guide, XTR Derailleur
What type of trails do you ride? Combination of flow and tight/technical singletrack
What bike is it on? 2011 Lynskey Pro29 VF
Any problems with the set-up? No problems...love the simplicity of the 1x10

1 - 20 of 134 Posts