Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
aka baycat
Joined
·
8,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Post Holiday Ride 12/26 - Mt. Tam

Come out and join in the fun and hit some good trails, shed those weekend holiday pounds, call in sick use vacation days and do what you got to do! I know some of ya'll will be there :)


Monday 26th, meeting at Depot Cafe in Mill Valley @ 10 am
Hit some of the trails, Eldridge, Indian, Gravity Car, Tender, etc.

so if you have any beer or trail suggestions they are welcomed. reply if you are up for it! so I know whose coming ;)

Ryan
 

·
gimme friction
Joined
·
1,081 Posts
I'm in

Any route sounds fun to me. I'll plan on being at the Depot at 10 AM. I'm OK with light rain, but if it's dumping at my house at 9 AM, I may call to cancel.

My only half-assed trail suggestion would be the Coastal Trail from Pantoll down to HWY 1, if the weather is nice. Very fun. Only drag is that it is either an out-and-back on Coastal (not that bad) or a climb up out of Muir Woods on Deer Park (brutal climb).

If we did it out-and-back, it would probably add around 8 miles from West Point Inn, so this is also a factor.
__________________

In other news, I'm looking at a quicky loop at either China Camp or Tamarancho Friday morning. Anyone game?
 

·
(slight return)
Joined
·
2,138 Posts
Quercus agrifolia said:
In other news, I'm looking at a quicky loop at either China Camp or Tamarancho Friday morning. Anyone game?
Can't do it this week, but I'll be riding one or both of those at some time next week if you're around.

-slide
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
494 Posts
Quercus agrifolia said:
My only half-assed trail suggestion would be the Coastal Trail from Pantoll down to HWY 1, if the weather is nice. Very fun. Only drag is that it is either an out-and-back on Coastal (not that bad) or a climb up out of Muir Woods on Deer Park (brutal climb).
I did this route a couple of weeks ago. I didn't find the Deer Park climb to be too brutal, just kind of a long grind. I will say that riding down 1 from where Coastal drops you to Muir Beach was a bit interesting with the cars zooming by. By my geeky device it was about 25miles from the bottom of Old Railroad Grade.
 

·
aka baycat
Joined
·
8,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have ALL next week off, so i am looking to ride as much as possible so Slide keep me in mind too :)

Quercus and Ibis, that sounds like a good route to add some mileage to my 18 mile loop I had in my head.
 

·
gimme friction
Joined
·
1,081 Posts
ibisGuy said:
I did this route a couple of weeks ago. I didn't find the Deer Park climb to be too brutal, just kind of a long grind. I will say that riding down 1 from where Coastal drops you to Muir Beach was a bit interesting with the cars zooming by. By my geeky device it was about 25miles from the bottom of Old Railroad Grade.
That sounds about right, mileage-wise. I was semi-bonked when I started up the Deer Park FR, that may have colored my memory of that ride. The redwood forest at the top is mighty nice, tho! :cool:
 

·
gimme friction
Joined
·
1,081 Posts
slide mon said:
Can't do it this week, but I'll be riding one or both of those at some time next week if you're around.

-slide
I'm around, with some flexibility at work. I'm taking Monday and probably Friday off, and can ride in the mid-afternoon Tues, Wed, or Thurs. I'll keep an eye on this board.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
494 Posts
Quercus agrifolia said:
That sounds about right, mileage-wise. I was semi-bonked when I started up the Deer Park FR, that may have colored my memory of that ride. The redwood forest at the top is mighty nice, tho! :cool:
The redwood forest towards the top is very nice. Hmm yeah I could see being semi-bonked making that climb pretty nasty. I was heading towards bonking about the time I reached the top. You could change it up some to by descending from West Point Inn to Gravity Car to get you over to Tenderfoot to squeeze a little more singletrack in. That was my plan when I rode it, but ended up just coming down Old Railroad Grade since I was feeling the bonk.
 

·
aka baycat
Joined
·
8,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So you pick up Coastal Trail off Pantoll, down Hwy 1, Muir Beach, climb back up Deer Park?

I am trying to picture this in my head, always climb back up Green Gulch too, right? haha feeling brain dead this rainy morning
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
494 Posts
baycat said:
So you pick up Coastal Trail off Pantoll, down Hwy 1, Muir Beach, climb back up Deer Park?

I am trying to picture this in my head, always climb back up Green Gulch too, right? haha feeling brain dead this rainy morning
Yeah go through the maintenance yard at Pantoll and you will find the trail to Deer Park and Coastal trail. I think it's maybe like a half mile to the split. The Coast trail spits you out onto 1 just above Muir Beach not far from the overlook. So you have to ride the road down to Muir Beach. I turned onto Muir Woods rd and came back up Deer Park. I had thought about going up Middle Green Gulch, but just wasn't feeling that ambitious when it was time to make that choice.
 

·
aka baycat
Joined
·
8,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not feeling the riding down Hwy 1 part, are you on the road with the cars or can you ride on a side trail paralleing the road?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
494 Posts
baycat said:
Not feeling the riding down Hwy 1 part, are you on the road with the cars or can you ride on a side trail paralleing the road?
Your on the road with the cars. I did it on a Sunday morning I'd say it was about 10:00 and I only had one car that stayed behind me down the windy stretch and passed me just before Muir Woods Rd.
 

·
aka baycat
Joined
·
8,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BUMP!


Ride is still on, unless it is rainy like crazy!

I am up for some mud and wetness, cell is 415 302 5733 if anyone needs to call :D
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top